Switching from to WP from WebOS/Lacking features

Kimboo

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
Hallo everybody!

I'm brand new to WP after receiving my Nokia Lumia 925 just a couple of days ago. Came from WebOS which I absolutely love, but lack
of new hardware and apps made me make the switch.

So far there's alot I like about WP8 and the Lumia 925, but there's also a couple of things that I'm missing after switching from WebOS.
Maybe it's not there, maybe I'm stupid, but I'd very much like some pointers on a couple of Things. I tried searching for these matters in the
forum, so hopefully I'm not just repeating others here.

1) I love the "Me" tile and use it alot for Facebook. However, I only seem to be able to comment on posts. Not Like them. Can this really be missing?

2) Again, I really like the option to Integrate facebook messages with text messages in the "Messages" tile. However, It does not import Facebook-mesages
that I send from other devices. Can this be enabled somehow? My Surface RT does this.

3) On WebOS there was a homebrew solution for getting recurring notifications from unread text messages etc. Is there an option to get this in WP8?

4) I sort of get the multitasking thing, but it seems that unlike WebOS there's no way of force-closing an app. Meaning that I always have to repeatingly
press the Back-button untill the app reaches it's main menu/first visited page in IE. Is this really the only option for closing apps?

5) When I go to settings for Photos + camera, under Automatic upload, SkyDrive is working fine, but underneath it says "Apps" and "0 installed". Though I
was directed to, and installed FileBox, it still says "0 installed". It appears to me I should be able to have Photos uploaded to DropBox instead of SkyDrive
using this feature. Is this correct? And if so, how do I make this work?

Sorry about all these questions, but I've been on WebOS for more than four years, switching is hard! :)

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks Guys!

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Hallo everybody!

I'm brand new to WP after receiving my Nokia Lumia 925 just a couple of days ago. Came from WebOS which I absolutely love, but lack
of new hardware and apps made me make the switch.

So far there's alot I like about WP8 and the Lumia 925, but there's also a couple of things that I'm missing after switching from WebOS.
Maybe it's not there, maybe I'm stupid, but I'd very much like some pointers on a couple of Things. I tried searching for these matters in the
forum, so hopefully I'm not just repeating others here.

1) I love the "Me" tile and use it alot for Facebook. However, I only seem to be able to comment on posts. Not Like them. Can this really be missing?

2) Again, I really like the option to Integrate facebook messages with text messages in the "Messages" tile. However, It does not import Facebook-mesages
that I send from other devices. Can this be enabled somehow? My Surface RT does this.

3) On WebOS there was a homebrew solution for getting recurring notifications from unread text messages etc. Is there an option to get this in WP8?

4) I sort of get the multitasking thing, but it seems that unlike WebOS there's no way of force-closing an app. Meaning that I always have to repeatingly
press the Back-button untill the app reaches it's main menu/first visited page in IE. Is this really the only option for closing apps?

5) When I go to settings for Photos + camera, under Automatic upload, SkyDrive is working fine, but underneath it says "Apps" and "0 installed". Though I
was directed to, and installed FileBox, it still says "0 installed". It appears to me I should be able to have Photos uploaded to DropBox instead of SkyDrive

Sorry about all these questions, but I've been on WebOS for more than four years, switching is hard! :)

1. No. Which is why I'm stuck on Facebook Beta.
2. Nope.
3. Nope. As far as I know.
4. You can close tabs manually in IE. As for apps, wait for WP8.1.
5. Sytill have to check.

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Argh. Hit the character limit on the WPCentral App. For Number 5, I couldn't find an answer. However, it appears that you can now upload photos to Dropbox using the app. Also, auto-upload to SkyDrive is native.

A few reminders:
1. No homebrews/custom ROMS. What you can do is limited to flashing leaked ROMs for future updates or other regions to your phone using Nokia Care Suite.
2. Don't even try. Secure Boot is a pain to get around. There's a reason behind the fact even XDA can't do it. All the more reason to try!
3. It's much easier to use if you rely on Microsoft services. If you're stuck with Google, you're in for a tough time. Google has been roughhousing quite a bit lately.
4. If you came from WebOS, chances are you'll miss the keyboard. Physical keyboard.
You'll love the Windows Phone keyboard, that's for sure. Heck, I type fine on an HTC Mozart, what if I type on a large phone such as yours!
5. Have fun! Welcome to Windows Phone, where you'll end up flashing leaked ROMs and manually updating settings apps.

Also WPCentral app is a must have!

Kimboo

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
Thank you for your answers! That is pretty much the way I feared it would be :p

I think WP8 is a pretty good OS and I like the look and feel of it. But for a company as big as Microsoft it has some seriously embarassing flaws.
The ones I just pointed out should have been easily discovered with simple testing, and so should many more.
... Well, hopefully 8.1 will solve some of this.

Sort of just makes me even more impressed with how good WebOS actually is. It's not perfect, but it just seems so much more thought out than WP does.
And you're completely right, I miss my Pre 3's lovely physical keyboard! But luckily I do feel that autocorrect does a decent job in WP. Not as bad as I thought it would be :)

Thanks again for the pointers!

xratola

May 9, 2013
Visit site

I think WP8 is a pretty good OS and I like the look and feel of it. But for a company as big as Microsoft it has some seriously embarassing flaws.
The ones I just pointed out should have been easily discovered with simple testing, and so should many more.

Sort of just makes me even more impressed with how good WebOS actually is. It's not perfect, but it just seems so much more thought out than WP does.
And you're completely right, I miss my Pre 3's lovely physical keyboard! But luckily I do feel that autocorrect does a decent job in WP. Not as bad as I thought it would be :)

I'm totally agree with you, come on!
Microsoft is one of the most poweful companies in world and is not able to bring basic features to its OS it's like a joke... Hopefully they'll improve this in January... let's wait and see

HyperChrisX

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site

I can Like posts on Facebook from the Me tile and the People Hub. There should be a like button on the bar at the bottom.

anon(7923621)

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
For #3, you could pin a large messaging tile and add messaging to your lock screen, so would always be reminded about unread texts, but you can't get duplicate push notifications

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I can Like posts on Facebook from the Me tile and the People Hub. There should be a like button on the bar at the bottom.

Yes, there should be a button, HOWEVER, if someone posts a picture on FB and you click on the picture, the like button is not there... In order to "like" a picture, click on the comment box to the right of the picture, once you are in the comments section, you can "like" it.

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site

Speaking of embarrassing flaws; how about BB marketing. If the company and the OS is so good, why are they considering putting themselves up for sale just to survive.

Yes, some things are missing from WP8 but each update brings more capabilities and more missing items.

Just saying!

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
You can just "Like" something, without making an actual comment. Find the post from the People app (Or the 'Me'), 'What's new', press the + caption icon, it will show a comment field. But at the bottom, there are three dots (...) select it, and then press just the thumbs up (like) button. Done.

Yea, that one sucks, as it doesn't aggregate all the message threads from all devices. I'm not sure why it doesn't, seems simple enough to do as the Facebook app does it.

Nope. Again, kind of sucks. Which is why my messaging tiles (messages, email, etc) are at the top of the home screen so I can see if there are any new at a quick glance.

Yep. But there really isn't any need to close out actual apps. Apps are tombstoned when they haven't been used after awhile. It's taken me awhile to accept this (slight computer OCD issues here), but once I gave up trying to close every single app I've opened up life has gotten good. The home button is your friend. But a long press on the back button is very useful, for just jumping back and forth between apps.

That is a dropbox app issue. DropBox hasn't released an official WP app, so you will have to deal with the third party app developer to fix or implement it.

There are no silly questions, just silly answers (I think that's how the saying goes).

Kimboo

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
Wow! Thanks for all the replies! You guys are awesome :D

There's no doubt that Palm failed badly in marketing their devices. Also, their own hardware was really not as good as some of it's competitors. However, The Pre 3 with WebOS still stands out to me as the best phone ever - with some margin. WebOS is truly great, but Palm failed to tell people that, and then HP finished it off completely. Great shame! It did stuff three years ago, that no other mobile OS can even do today. I'm just hoping that WP will get there someday :)

Just a small additional question. You were completely right that I can like posts, just not pictures, on facebook. I did not notice this myself. However, even when I go to the comments section, I only get the option to Tag people, not to like it. Anybody else exeperience this? Or am I just stupid? :)

Cindy_H

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
It sounds like you are clicking on the picture once you get to the comments section. If you do this, then yes, you will only have the option to tag people. As others have said, get to the comments section, and your like button should be at the bottom of the screen. You may or may not have to click the three dots to see it. I don't on my 928.

vinumathew

Dec 24, 2012
Visit site
It sounds like you are clicking on the picture once you get to the comments section. If you do this, then yes, you will only have the option to tag people. As others have said, get to the comments section, and your like button should be at the bottom of the screen. only if there is any comment.... You may or may not have to click the three dots to see it. I don't on my 928.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs