Random battery drain getting out of hand now..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boris Lozac

Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
Really starting to lose patience here. This is the third time it has happened in just over a month of owning the phone (L520).
First i thought it's GPS cause i've read somewhere that Here Drive can get stuck blah blah, stopped using it, thought it stopped but happened again.
Then someone told me it could be a faulty micro SD card, removed it, didn't happened for like 10 days, and then last night it happened aggain. Went from 96 to 56% while sleeping.

Now i'm in the mood of not wanting to play Sherlock anymore, i don't fckin care what it is, this is unnaceptable whatever it is, and i'm sure it's OS related. If some hardware was faulty it would happen more often.
I never once had this happen in more then 3 years of owning an HTC Wildfire, not to mention the dumb phones prior to it.

I'm really liking WP8 and this phone, but 3 times in a month, it's ridicolous.

Boris Lozac

Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
Try a soft reset.

Yes. it helps (first time it didn't, had to pull the battery out). But is that really a 'solution' here, to check battery percantage like crazy person every few minutes to see if battery is beeing drained?
Is there ANY word of MS doing something about this?

phasar

Banned
Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
Its a OS bug, sometimes your battery will drain up to 15 % per hour when the phone is idle with no apps running in the background. I've replaced a previous phone for the same reason,only to find it was the same for my replacement phone.

I am currently on my sixth 920 and it's going back this week because it will no longer connect to data. Because of the inconvenience they have caused me, I have decided to replace my phone every month while it's under warranty. Eventually, they'll get the message that I don't want this crap and they'll give me another phone(non windows).

taymur

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
for some reason, I think there is a problem fetching data from the servers, which is causing the phones battery to drain very very much, my l720 is on battery saving now and is draining 8%/hour! this is not even possible, it used to do 3-5% while I was running everything like crazy! weird!

Boris Lozac

Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
Yep, everything so far points to a serious OS bug, cause i tried all other solutions i could find on the web, (faulty SD card etc).
So frustrated with these new phones, it seems the newer and 'better' the OS, the more chances for this sh*t happening. On my 2.2.1 Android i've never had this happen in 3 years, but now i'm reading the same stuff on Android forums. At least they have apps that can tell them WHAT app is causing the problem, i don't know if it's a OS bug there too or just with the apps.

Hna

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
You're just unlucky. That's it. Cry all you want, you don't want to replace the phone, your problem. I would replace it till it stopped doing it. Complain on the complaint book. Email Nokia.
Coming here and crying isn't going to fix anything. It's tiresome to see people crying all the time and bashing WP because it's **** while Android and IOS are so good, etc. **** happens on other OS's too. So, if you don't want WP stay on Android and IOS, nobody gives a damn.

I have Wifi and Blutetooth constantly 24/7 on because of the sync with my car and on standby my battery drains the usual. In fact, with over 1day and 15h of battery, the duration was estimated at another 5 days plus. It's a problem with your device, it's not a problem with the OS. I was having reboot issues with my first Lumia 520, replaced it with a new one, now it's fine. If you don't want to move your *** and take mater to sort it, not our problem.

Boris Lozac

Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
It's a problem with your device, it's not a problem with the OS.

Which proves numeorous of threads about the issue? It's random, and it happens to a LOT of people, stop saying it's not the OS, it is the OS, processes/apps get stuck and drain the damn battery.

And it is helpfull having threads like this, if all remained silent about the issues MS would think everything is fine..

Last edited by a moderator:

Pepe D Vegas

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
You're just unlucky. That's it. Cry all you want, you don't want to replace the phone, your problem. I would replace it till it stopped doing it. Complain on the complaint book. Email Nokia.
Coming here and crying isn't going to fix anything. It's tiresome to see people crying all the time and bashing WP because it's **** while Android and IOS are so good, etc. **** happens on other OS's too. So, if you don't want WP stay on Android and IOS, nobody gives a damn.

I have Wifi and Blutetooth constantly 24/7 on because of the sync with my car and on standby my battery drains the usual. In fact, with over 1day and 15h of battery, the duration was estimated at another 5 days plus. It's a problem with your device, it's not a problem with the OS. I was having reboot issues with my first Lumia 520, replaced it with a new one, now it's fine. If you don't want to move your *** and take mater to sort it, not our problem.

Umm im sorry there is no way you get that much out of your battery without a charge of some sort. Sorry you fool no one.

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Don't do those generic answers please :) I appreciate the help but you are well aware that this is not a faulty device/battery by now..

I'm sorry you're having trouble, but without us actually having the phone to look at and troubleshoot, the best we can do is offer some standard suggestions. And believe it or not, it may be a faulty device. I do not experience any significant battery drain and I'm on the same OS as you.

Boris Lozac

Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
@ 11B1P

Sure, but i've encountered numerous threads about people getting 5 replacements and the problem still persists. So i'm not in the mood of doing that. Here in Serbia you can wait like 40 days until they 'fix' the issue (probably just do a factory reset and call it fixed).
It seems with these modern phones you have to restart them every couple of days, like a PC.. Crazy stuff.

@ realwarder

I'm not, my OS version is 8.0.10211.204

TripsG

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
My 920 still goes bat-crazy every now and again. In the beginning it had horrid battery life like most everyone else. A couple of updates and finding the "few-apps-that-drained-it" later, I've had very few problems. That being said, about a week or so ago, MS released their Bing line of apps to WP. I downloaded News, Sports and Weather and enjoyed them quite a bit for several days. But my phone couldn't hold a charge to save it's life. I tried to restart, turn things off in the background, the usual things. Nothing fixed it. I deleted all three apps and problem solved. But I bet you there's a thousand people who downloaded those same apps on the same 920 and had not one issue. There is so much going on in these phones that any little thing can cause something negative to happen.

I came from iOS and had every iPhone iteration through the 4s. A couple had issues while others had none. Certain apps would react negatively on those phones as well. I will say that iOS is far more stable with respect to battery than WP but the user experience is half of what WP is in my opinion.

I work from home and have exceptional LTE coverage at my house in central Florida. But on Sunday's I have a job working at a church just up the road from my home. The church is built like a concrete and steel fortress and ALL carriers signals are sketchy inside of this building. Nearly every employee there has an iPhone (very Apple-centric staff, one even being a full-time Apple Genius) and all have had issues with dropped calls and poor reception regardless of them being on AT&T, Sprint or Verizon. I will get to work at 5:00am with 100% battery life and by 8:00am I will be down to ~40% battery without having used the phone for ANYTHING! Even though it is connected to WiFi the phone is trying so hard to figure out the signaling in this building that it just wears itself out. I have to carry an Anker external battery with me in my gig bag just in case I need my phone for something because by 1:00pm when I leave work it will be dead.

Conversely I got up at 6:00am this past Saturday with 100% battery, went for my walk using the Runtastic app, then went to Disney for roughly 6 hours, took more than 50 pictures, checked in via People Hub at every ride or show (yeah, I'm that guy) as well as Facebook, texting, one 10 minute phone call and constant web usage throughout the day and still had 30% at 7pm when I got home without plugging the phone in once (all locations between my home and Disney have excellent LTE).

The point of my dissertation here is that everyone needs to take the emotion out of their decision making and be analytical about any issues you have. Yes, there are a few people that just get a bum phone (my girlfriends 8X is an abomination, hoping the update I did yesterday fixed the constant shutting down and SIM card issues) but the vast majority of phones are rock solid minus the inevitable hiccup that comes with any technology.

Ranting is fine. You paid for your ticket so you get the right to yell at the umpires and boo the players, but before losing your mind at any one entity because you think they don't care, take a breath, calm down and take some time to figure out if it's a phone issue, an app issue or external issue or maybe even a you issue.

phasar

Banned
Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
After going through six L920 devices I don't need to figure out the obvious. This system is buggy, MS and Nokia clearly dropped the ball when it came to quality control and customer care.

garrymcd

Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
My wife's battery was draining at a ridiculous rate. She would have about 30% power left by early evening, while I would have about 90% left. This was with not really using the phone much.
We tried turning off all the usual stuff, soft reset etc. Nothing seemed to help. Then we looked at her email settings. She had Live, Gmail, Yahoo and AOL which were all set to " as items arrive". We changed them all to sync manually. What a difference!! She now has about 90% left by early evening, same as me. Now we are going to enable "as items arrive" one at a time to see if its a particular one that's causing the problems. So, this may not be the cause of your problem, but it's something to look at.

TripsG

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Sorry, I'll just never understand going through more than 2 phones. If you're doing the same thing over and over you need to take the time to look at what YOU are doing. Turn everything off. Delete all but the basics and start adding in until you find the problem. To just state that the "...system is buggy..." and that the manufacturer dropped the ball just shows that you are not investigating what might really be the root cause. And they've given you 6 phones and you are actually commenting on their customer care?

Again, these issues happen on all devices regardless of manufacturer. Tossing the baby out with the bathwater is still a you problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb