so google made a new youtube app...

OzRob

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
Microsoft should take a revenge on Google by disabling Skype for Android. Just imagine how p!ssed would Android users be.

Given that there is an order of magnitude more Android users than there are Windows Phone users, that would be stupid move. Google can afford to p!ss off a handful of WP users. MS can't afford to p!ss off the majority of smartphone users around the world.

Trevor Halsey

Jun 12, 2013
Visit site
Not a good idea, Microsoft doesn't get away with the types of things Google does.
Just remember just what type of business MS is, at one time they even offered IE for MacOS and Unix. The biggest complaint at one time was not offering alternative browsers on windows. You can thank the EU anti-trust authorities for that.

Sent from my RM-860 (Lumia 928) using the OFFICIAL Tapatalk app.

OzRob

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
I look globally, not on the specific market.

Yes, you're right. Perhaps Microsoft should use its monopoly power in the desktop market to prevent any web browser other than IE from integrating into the OS. And then they could make it really hard for anyone to set Google as the default search engine in IE and impossible to do it in most countries on WP8...hang on...haven't they already done all this? HOW DARE THEY! What a bunch of b@stards. I think Google should retaliate and use its power in the phone market to, say, prevent Microsoft from making an official YouTube app and then...Oh, wait!...that's already happened too. Gee, reality sucks sometimes!

Michael Alan Goff

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
Just remember just what type of business MS is, at one time they even offered IE for MacOS and Unix. The biggest complaint at one time was not offering alternative browsers on windows. You can thank the EU anti-trust authorities for that.

What?

No, really, what?

There was always the ability to have alternative browsers on Windows. What have you been smoking?

Michael Alan Goff

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
Yes, you're right. Perhaps Microsoft should use its monopoly power in the desktop market to prevent any web browser other than IE from integrating into the OS. And then they could make it really hard for anyone to set Google as the default search engine in IE and impossible to do it in most countries on WP8...hang on...haven't they already done all this? HOW DARE THEY! What a bunch of b@stards. I think Google should retaliate and use its power in the phone market to, say, prevent Microsoft from making an official YouTube app and then...Oh, wait!...that's already happened too. Gee, reality sucks sometimes!

The inability to change the search engine seems to be more of a decision from the carriers in certain countries, given the fact that Microsoft has given them too much control over the update process. It's also very simple to change the search engine in IE. But whatever helps you sleep at night, I guess.

Trevor Halsey

Jun 12, 2013
Visit site
What?

No, really, what?

There was always the ability to have alternative browsers on Windows. What have you been smoking?

install the e or n versions of windows 7 or 8 and you'll see. They include semi-direct links to the installers for multiple browsers all built in on first install.

OzRob

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
The inability to change the search engine seems to be more of a decision from the carriers in certain countries, given the fact that Microsoft has given them too much control over the update process. It's also very simple to change the search engine in IE. But whatever helps you sleep at night, I guess.

Perhaps a little historical research would make things clearer. So, also, would taking a world view, not just a US view. Look up the Nestcape-Microsoft browser wars and the DOJ and European aftermath. Also, outside the US, IE8, 9 and I believe 10 make it difficult to select Google as your default search provider - it wasn't listed in the search add-ins page.

Michael Alan Goff

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
install the e or n versions of windows 7 or 8 and you'll see. They include semi-direct links to the installers for multiple browsers all built in on first install.

Yes, and the way you did it before was going to the mystical land called the internet and downloading another browser. Or you went and got a disk, maybe Netscape or Opera. Then you nstalled them. Alternative browsers have always existed.

Perhaps a little historical research would make things clearer. So, also, would taking a world view, not just a US view. Look up the Nestcape-Microsoft browser wars and the DOJ and European aftermath. Also, outside the US, IE8, 9 and I believe 10 make it difficult to select Google as your default search provider - it wasn't listed in the search add-ins page.

HISTORICAL misdeeds now mean that Google can do something wrong IN THE PRESENT? Also, it generally is a carrier issues with WP8. Microsoft allows a change of search engines as part of the OS. You just go to IE settings and then advanced. If your country of choice or carrier of choice blocked that? Go yell at them. It's not Microsoft's fault.

OzRob

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
HISTORICAL misdeeds now mean that Google can do something wrong IN THE PRESENT?

I'm not saying that at all, and I'm not condoning either Google's or Microsoft's actions in the YouTube app debacle. I'm simply pointing out that there's nothing new here. What Google is currently doing to Microsoft is no different to what Microsoft has done to others in the past. It's simply a couple of heavyweight companies looking for a little leverage on the other. It's business...pure and simple. And each company will pursue the course of action that makes the best business sense to it.

Like I said before, this YouTube spat is just a p!ssing contest between these two. And like any p!ssing contest, when it's over the combatants will go and have a friendly beer with each other and get fueled up for the next round.

uopjo6

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
Agreed, but for new users coming into WP, not having a decent official app looks odd. We know the alternatives are great, but a lot of people judge quickly and without looking too much into it.
Agreed that's the biggest problem now with WP. 3rd party apps are really good thanks to the developers but those big labels are what lures new customers in, sadly. Checking out other forums and comments from other platforms, its like if the users only use official apps. "lol so how are WP users gonna watch video, on a browser? Lmao". Its ridiculous.

dazr87

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
I don't believe it's written in HTML5. I also don't believe Google care one way or the other about the quality of the Microsoft app. I also don't believe there's any point debating the rights, wrongs or logic of Google's or Microsoft's position on this app. There's no mystery here. Google and Microsoft are in a p!ssing competition, and we're the ones getting p!ssed on.

the truth, the whole truth & nothing but the truth! lol so right dude!

dazr87

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
Palm is a nothing in smartphones. Microsoft is far from nothing.

i miss my Palm Pre 2! :/ sad times. i loved WebOS. Then I loved my Lumia 920, sad times again because it just wasnt what i expected. Now i'm with my HTC One Google Edition on 4.3, I've never looked back. But i do have high hopes for Windows Phone, hopefully we'll see some major updates once 8.1 hits.

Michael Alan Goff

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
I'm not saying that at all, and I'm not condoning either Google's or Microsoft's actions in the YouTube app debacle. I'm simply pointing out that there's nothing new here. What Google is currently doing to Microsoft is no different to what Microsoft has done to others in the past. It's simply a couple of heavyweight companies looking for a little leverage on the other. It's business...pure and simple. And each company will pursue the course of action that makes the best business sense to it.

Like I said before, this YouTube spat is just a p!ssing contest between these two. And like any p!ssing contest, when it's over the combatants will go and have a friendly beer with each other and get fueled up for the next round.

Sorry then, it seemed like you were one of those people who were saying it was actually right that they were doing that. People have been coming up with excuses for Google's behavior ever since they made that decision. It's gotten a little frustrating.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss