so google made a new youtube app...

WinFan1

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
i think this should just end. googles point is there arent enough users and ms calls bs. really google isnt dissing ms their dissing us because they are saying that those of us here are irrelevant. Basically telling us get a droid or F*** you.

spyderzWPC

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
Sorry then, it seemed like you were one of those people who were saying it was actually right that they were doing that. People have been coming up with excuses for Google's behavior ever since they made that decision. It's gotten a little frustrating.

reminds me of when they randomly blocked windows phones from accessing their maps page through the browser...this company has done a lot of shady stuff, another reason I dropped them and went to WP

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Beggers can't be choosers. Right now, Google owns the content you desperately want to watch. So, there is really nothing you can do about it if Google don't like the particular platform you are on. The only way to screw Google is don't watch YouTube regardless which platform you are on.
No, Google hosts the content. The content creators own it. But yes, you are right - not watching is the way to hurt Google. If only there were a product that was a viable competitor...

wamsille

Banned
Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Let's go back to the root issue. Google's product is the consumer itself. It mines your usage to tailor an experience around you, personalized by your behavior and compared against other similar users to give you more of what you want and less of what you don't. It has been a lucrative business since the very humble beginings of a modest search engine that now has become ubiquitous with nearly all activity on the internet. That has, in turn, expanded outside the desktop and into nearly any device that could be connected to the web. Orwelliean jabs aside, to suggest you are a consumer in the Google marketplace is hardly a step in the right direction. Software developers and advertisers are the real customers.

I am not a programmer or a developer. I wouldn't be able to tell you why Google is so hell bent on keeping their services away from the competition (aka Microsoft) unless its a way to ensure any "official" applications that are made available phone home consistently and don't reveal any Google magic in the process. Maybe there is something underlying in the Windows Phone OS that doesn't play nicely with Google's data mining?

I can access YouTube on MetroTube. I don't need an "official" application from Google to make that happen. There are enough compotent developers out there passionate about the platform that any gaps have either been addressed, will be addressed or there are suitable alternatives available from Microsoft that are more than capable of satisfying the needs of most. If Google made a suite of apps available on Windows Phone they would be at the top of the download charts. Then again, maybe they wouldn't?

People cannot really make the argument anymore that Microsoft is irrelevant or a "nothing" in the mobile OS marketplace. Not when one of the giants of the industry is intentionally blocking an official app from accessing content over something so trivial. Google wants to control the top end of the market. Unless iPhones take a dip in usage year over year and Windows Phone becomes all the rage, expect to see Google in bed with Apple purely from a business standpoint to keep other OS's out of the picture.

ag1986

Banned
Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
Direct quote from that MS lawyer's article:

"doesn't always serve ads based on conditions imposed by content creators"

Simple as that. Allowing MS to launch an official app with this bug would have gotten Google sued by their content partners. They don't want to screw WP users, and this is evidenced by the fact that MetroTube and other 3rd party apps still work.

On that note, remember that Metrotube and others get broken whenever Google makes backend changes to their private APIs. That means that Google would have to consult with MS every time they made such changes if they allowed the official MS native app and they probably didn't want to dedicate the resources needed for that.

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I'm a "content creator" myself. I've had my YouTube channel up for several years now, with 53 videos (I play guitar and post cover songs and original material), and just over 17.8k worldwide views for all 53 vids combined. Through all the changes that YouTube services have been through, with the site/channel design itself, to the barrage of copyright bs that they send me regarding my videos, (I often get a "matched 3rd party content" message even though it's just ME playing the guitar!) My videos are still up.. And, I've still managed to avoid placing any of their ads in my videos. (well, there's none that I know of).

Coming from 4 generations of iPhones, I've got to say things were a lot easier with the iPhone as far as YouTube is concerned. I could upload my vids right from my phone.. And I thought we had that back earlier this week with the "official" app, but we all know what happened to that...

Don't get me wrong, I love WP8 and I've fallen back in love with Nokia and their amazing devices. The only thing I'd give my Lumia 920 up for, is a Lumia 1020! I don't see myself ever going back. The only thing I have a Google account for anymore is my YouTube channel. Everything else is all MS (Bing, Skydrive, Live/Outlook, Office, IE10) oh and I use the best mapping/nav software ever... Nokia HERE Maps and HERE Drive+

Anyway, sorry to ramble on, I just wish Microsoft and Google would see eye to eye on this YouTube thing and provide us with a decent and fully featured app. As someone said earlier in this thread, "we're the ones (the users AND the content creators) who are getting pissed on"

Its really kinda sad.... :(

TheJoester09

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
I'm a "content creator" myself. I've had my YouTube channel up for several years now, with 53 videos (I play guitar and post cover songs and original material), and just over 17.8k worldwide views for all 53 vids combined. Through all the changes that YouTube services have been through, with the site/channel design itself, to the barrage of copyright bs that they send me regarding my videos, (I often get a "matched 3rd party content" message even though it's just ME playing the guitar!) My videos are still up.. And, I've still managed to avoid placing any of their ads in my videos. (well, there's none that I know of).

Coming from 4 generations of iPhones, I've got to say things were a lot easier with the iPhone as far as YouTube is concerned. I could upload my vids right from my phone.. And I thought we had that back earlier this week with the "official" app, but we all know what happened to that...

Don't get me wrong, I love WP8 and I've fallen back in love with Nokia and their amazing devices. The only thing I'd give my Lumia 920 up for, is a Lumia 1020! I don't see myself ever going back. The only thing I have a Google account for anymore is my YouTube channel. Everything else is all MS (Bing, Skydrive, Live/Outlook, Office, IE10) oh and I use the best mapping/nav software ever... Nokia HERE Maps and HERE Drive+

Anyway, sorry to ramble on, I just wish Microsoft and Google would see eye to eye on this YouTube thing and provide us with a decent and fully featured app. As someone said earlier in this thread, "we're the ones (the users AND the content creators) who are getting pissed on"

Its really kinda sad.... :(

Nokia recently released a YouTube uploader app. It's definitely a bummer about the official app, but this could possibly help you out.
Nokia Video Upload | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)

Cleavitt76

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Direct quote from that MS lawyer's article:

"doesn't always serve ads based on conditions imposed by content creators"

Dishonest much? Here is the quote in context...

"Google claims that one problem with our new app is that it doesn’t always serve ads based on conditions imposed by content creators. Our app serves Google’s advertisements using all the metadata available to us. We’ve asked Google to provide whatever information iPhone and Android get so that we can mirror the way ads are served on these platforms more precisely. So far at least, Google has refused to give this information to us. We are quite confident that we can solve this issue if Google cooperates, but fixing Google’s concern here is entirely within Google’s control. If Google stops blocking our app, we are happy to work with them on this, entirely at Microsoft’s expense."​

You sure did go way out of your way to remove all context from what you claimed was a direct quote. The piece of the sentence that you quoted wasn't even something the MS rep said himself. It was something that Google claimed that he was repeating.

Full statement...

The limits of Google

RadioActiveLunch

Jun 20, 2013
Visit site
anyone have the file of the youtube app? they keep taking them down from the store because of google/microsoft conflicts. I'll try to sideload install it if someone has the file.

FinancialP

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
I think some people are living in a closed box.

Google also doesn't make a YouTube app for:
Blackberry
Symbian
Jolla
Firefox
Tizen
Feature phones
Bada
WebOS

Maybe these users too should band together and demand support?

ChMar

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site

Blackberry
Symbian
Jolla
Firefox
Tizen
Feature phones
Bada
WebOS

Let's cut the crap. No one is forced to do anything. Why force google to make youtube app for platform x???? Last time I checked no company / person is forced to own a website or to create apps. Support is for paying customers. No one is a customer of google youtube. You don't pay to demand support. Even if youtube access will cost 5$ a month you would pay for access to YouTube from a standard complaint browser. Then you would be a customer but still you pay for http (browser access) and no one is again forced to do apps for you on platform X.

Beeing anticompetitive is one thing. Being painted as evil just because you don't provide support for customers is absurd. No one is a customer here

Michael Alan Goff

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site

Blackberry
Symbian
Jolla
Firefox
Tizen
Feature phones
Bada
WebOS

Nah, they should just ask Google to stop blocking their YouTube apps for no good reason...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss