so google made a new youtube app...

Michael Alan Goff

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
Let's cut the crap. No one is forced to do anything. Why force google to make youtube app for platform x???? Last time I checked no company / person is forced to own a website or to create apps. Support is for paying customers. No one is a customer of google youtube. You don't pay to demand support. Even if youtube access will cost 5$ a month you would pay for access to YouTube from a standard complaint browser. Then you would be a customer but still you pay for http (browser access) and no one is again forced to do apps for you on platform X.

Beeing anticompetitive is one thing. Being painted as evil just because you don't provide support for customers is absurd. No one is a customer here

We're the customers because we pay for YouTube via use of advertising. If we're not the the customers through that method, then any app that pays for itself through ads (likely free otherwise) has no customers ever. And that's just weird logic.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
We're the customers because we pay for YouTube via use of advertising. If we're not the the customers through that method, then any app that pays for itself through ads (likely free otherwise) has no customers ever. And that's just weird logic.

Close. The customers are the ones who pay for the service. That would be the advertisers. We, the consumer, is a viewer. We are the customer of the advertising agency, indirectly, by buying their customers' (the individual advertiser) products. We, as individuals, may not always buy the individual advertiser's product, but "we" as a group, do buy the advertisers' products, or they would put their money elsewhere.

Google does a disservice to its customers, the advertisers, by not making the content, and therefore the ads, available to people who want to see it. Yes, it is correct that not all platforms have a YouTube app, but since Microsoft has put forth the investment to create the app, it costs Google nothing to allow it. They do a disservice to the people who want to view the content (not directly their real customers), and they do a disservice to their true customers, the advertisers, by blocking an app that is already created, which would increase the income of those advertisers.

You find who the real customer is by following the money. :wink:

Rodrigo Mendes

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
Microsoft should sue Google for unfair competition, since Google imposes specific restrictions to Microsoft system, unlike IOS or Android. There's a HUGE difference in Windows restrictions for third apps or programs. But I do not think it's worth solve this problem that way.

But you know what??? Screw Google and Microsoft. I have Youtube HD, Metrotube and Supertube. The three best applications for Youtube in the world, even compared to official in IOS or Android. Why I would need an youtube app with ads? No, thanks, i'm fine here.

Michael Alan Goff

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft should sue Google for unfair competition, since Google imposes specific restrictions to Microsoft system, unlike IOS or Android. There's a HUGE difference in Windows restrictions for third apps or programs. But I do not think it's worth solve this problem that way.

But you know what??? Screw Google and Microsoft. I have Youtube HD, Metrotube and Supertube. The three best applications for Youtube in the world, even compared to official in IOS or Android. Why I would need an youtube app with ads? No, thanks, i'm fine here.

I don't get this mentality.

Anyone who is proud of "I don't watch ads" should stop watching YouTube material period.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site

Anyone who is proud of "I don't watch ads" should stop watching YouTube material period.

I'm with you on the mentality... I use the MetroTube app because for now it is the best experience. Ads? Meh - they're a minor inconvenience when they're there, and since I use ads to support my apps, I understand people using ads to support their YouTube channels, and don't want to steal from them. But until there's a decent YouTube app on WP, there really isn't an option.

Michael Alan Goff

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
I'm with you on the mentality... I use the MetroTube app because for now it is the best experience. Ads? Meh - they're a minor inconvenience when they're there, and since I use ads to support my apps, I understand people using ads to support their YouTube channels, and don't want to steal from them. But until there's a decent YouTube app on WP, there really isn't an option.

That much I can understand, it makes sense.

I kind of wish they could enable ads in MetroTube, to be honest, it's the main reason I don't use it.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Yeah - if they did, I wouldn't complain. IIRC, though, the reason the original MS YouTube app didn't display ads is because Google wouldn't provide the API.

Cleavitt76

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Yeah - if they did, I wouldn't complain. IIRC, though, the reason the original MS YouTube app didn't display ads is because Google wouldn't provide the API.

That is correct. Google's API for third party YouTube apps does not provide the required ad info in many cases. This is why Metrotube and other third party apps (including MS's app) don't always show ads when the website and first party apps do. So Google/YouTube is actually causing the missing ads in the third party apps. For some reason they only see the MS app as "breaking their terms of service."

Rodrigo Mendes

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site

Pride is not the right word. But i think internet don't need intrusive advertisements, like we have on Youtube. They want to turn internet in a television system. I don't agree with that. That's absolutely wrong, goes against the principles of the internet. But this is a topic (a good one) for another conversation, not now.

For now, i'm proud to have third Youtube apps. If these apps don't have any ads? What can I do? Best for us and definitely not my fault. Blame Google, not me.

explorador75

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
Since yesterday any of my youtube application works, does anybody now something about it, cause I haven't heard anything about it from any web

Michael Alan Goff

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
Pride is not the right word. But i think internet don't need intrusive advertisements, like we have on Youtube. They want to turn internet in a television system. I don't agree with that. That's absolutely wrong, goes against the principles of the internet. But this is a topic (a good one) for another conversation, not now.

For now, i'm proud to have third Youtube apps. If these apps don't have any ads? What can I do? Best for us and definitely not my fault. Blame Google, not me.

That is a good topic, and this is as good of a thread as any.

Not casting stones at anyone who uses a Windows Phone or RT YouTube app that doesn't show ads. My problem is that... well, I seem to remember reading a lot of places (not here, gladly) that people wouldn't be updating their app if it meant watching YouTube ads.

The idea of hating YouTube ads? I am with you. The idea of going out of your way to make sure that you don't see them? Not as cool.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo