Help needed! Debating whether to switch to WP

spyderzWPC

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
The hardest part about switching to any phone is switching ecosystems, it depends on how engrained you are with your current phone. I chose to drop my connections to google and move to wp7(at the time) and it took a bit of getting use to but I like it. I find the phones much more friendly and stable. The nokia lineup has been top notch and I wouldn't recommend any other brand personally. At&t has also been great with their support compared to version who appears to really be in googles pants with their phones. Calling and asking anything about a wp or even showing up at their store drew many odd looks and took lots of time for them to research anything on the phone.

not having functionality? I am not sure what they are referring to I have not had any issues with my phone I think it does most things better the android and apple.

The camera on my 920 is fantastic, what is not really mentioned is how amazing the microphone is. I have recorded concerts without a blip in the audio, mind you I like heavy metal and the loud noise does not translate well to phones at all. Here is a video I recorded with my 920, with the colors and audio in this I can only imagine what the 1020 looks like.

Battlecross - Kaleb - YouTube

don't forget to switch it to hd, not sure why youtube doesn't do that automatically.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
In some aspects you're correct. In others you're very incorrect. While some of my needs are basic, for instance, many are not; they just mesh with WP8's strengths.

I actually didn't see my needs as something special. I was going on the basis of what I was able to do before with Symbian. However I quickly learned that WP8 was a fairly locked down device that had limitations and missing features that I needed. However, I've just learned to deal with it and decided to wait it out and hope that WP8.1 brings most of the features I want. I'm not expecting all of them.

Chris2183

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
I agree with you and it's something I would recommend to anyone if they can do that. Unfortunately not everyone can. It took me a couple of months to sort myself out with WP8. My comment reflects the fact that I had to resign myself to the way WP8 is and wait for WP8.1 for the 'hoped' improvements. You can't bend it to your will really. Not all the apps you may want are available and unfortunately the websites are not always optimized for mobile. This is the issue.

The simplest way to put it, if your needs are basic, WP8 will work for you, if you need something with a bit more functionality you will be disappointed. It's that simple.
I agree. Out of the box WP8 provides fantastic experience.

WinFan1

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
I'm an Android user and I'm debating whether to switch to WP, the main reason is I want the Lumia 1020 because of it's stunning camera and Xenon Flash BUT i'm worried because reading online it seems top apps like Plentyoffish, Ebay, Whatsapp, Facebook, Twitter etc are poor and nowhere near the Android or iOS Standard.

Plus reading news about HTC's Windows Phone market share dipping below 5% makes me feel like Windows might die sometime in the next year or two? Will the apps get better? will more and more apps be made for this platform? that's one of my biggest worries and i'm not sure what to do.

Thanks.
before i go on record to give you my opinion could you tell me what type of user you are? a few other pieces of information like are you always out for the hot new stuff? Are you an app fanatic? what is a typical day on your smartphone like, are you a basic or power user? I think windows phone is great and own a lumia 925 myself but im going to perfectly honest ive experimented with all platforms and i find myself to be a practical user in the sense that my phone isnt really the center of my universe. It is more like a simple tool for me to stay organized. with that said nokias are the way to go for mobile photography. applications work relatively well, clearly not as feature rich as some counterparts as we know wp8 isnt as mature as other operating systems out there. As far as HTC goes i am sure they have their reasons but their windows phones were not supported or advertised. the platform is smooth elegant and beautiful and colorful which is something i like. tweaking is deffinitely not something your gonna be able to do to the extent you do now. xbox music pass is great theres also nokia music if you like music discovery. gps is great, so is augmented reality. social networking is good fb is still being worked on so only gonna get better, and there are great alternatives to some google services if need arises. Metrotube being one. but to be honest my friend it all merely comes down for what you need it for.

Hydrated

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I've used BlackBerry, iPhone, and I was an Android user for several years before I switched to WP8 last January on a lark. I'm an engineer and quite a technical user... so I wring a phone out pretty well. I treat it as the pocket sized computer that it is. I did draw the line at flashing non-supported ROMs and stuff though... only used the AT&T released firmware.

I thought that I was happy with my Android phones until I got my 920 with WP8. What an eye opener! Every one of my Android platforms required frequent restarting... sometimes multiple times per day. And the apps often required squashing via task killers... if Android is so stable and all, why are task killers some of the most popular downloads from the Android market?

My WP however, just works. When I tap a button, it does what it's supposed to do.

What I find most glorious is this: I don't have to THINK about my phone anymore. With Android, I was constantly fussing and tweaking my phone... my phone ran me instead of the other way around. With my WP, I just do the things that I want to do.

...but that nonsense with taking out the battery cause it's draining I never had to do in 3 years of owning the 2.2.1 Android..

I don't believe this for a minute. Tapping that task killer button does the same thing as pulling the battery, bro.

Hydrated

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Sorry i've lost you here, what do you mean?

You said that you've never had to pull the battery in the three years that you've owned your Android. Pulling the battery essentially is the nuclear option for killing all running processes on the phone. Using a task killer app in Android does the same thing... it kills running processes on the phone.

So tapping the task killer on an Android phone is the same thing as pulling the battery on your WP. Do you mean that in three years you've never had to forcefully kill an app?

Doubtful.

Boris Lozac

Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
Nope, never had a task killer on the phone, and i'm not luying about never pulling the battery out neither.. you can believe it or not.
But like i said, it's probably the case of the more advance and filled with options the OS is (for example newer versions of Android then i had), the more there's a chance something will go wrong, get stuck etc.. On my 'simple' Froyo Android it never happened.

capcom303

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
Just switched to a WP from Blackberry Z10. Just switched to the Z10 about 3 months ago from a 9900. Now I've only had this Nokia 1020 for 6 days and not liking it all that much. Will give it some more time but if you told me to make up my mind right this minute I would switch back to my 9900. Like I said I will give it more time because it could be I need to figure more things out. Like how to change all the black screen over to white, you can't read them in sun light for nothing. Got the email switched but nothing else. Contacts are useless if I can't read them outside. The other thing driving me nuts is the lack of being able to change to a custom tone for text or email. I can say here I'm on 3g service and the WP beats the Z10 in speed on these networks

halcyonboy

Nov 13, 2011
Visit site
Just switched to a WP from Blackberry Z10. Just switched to the Z10 about 3 months ago from a 9900. Now I've only had this Nokia 1020 for 6 days and not liking it all that much. Will give it some more time but if you told me to make up my mind right this minute I would switch back to my 9900. Like I said I will give it more time because it could be I need to figure more things out. Like how to change all the black screen over to white, you can't read them in sun light for nothing. Got the email switched but nothing else. Contacts are useless if I can't read them outside. The other thing driving me nuts is the lack of being able to change to a custom tone for text or email. I can say here I'm on 3g service and the WP beats the Z10 in speed on these networks

If you want to switch to the white background theme, go to Settings, then pick Theme, then just switch the background from dark to light.

WP takes a bit to get used to when coming from other platforms, but once you do, you likely won't look back. Hope this helps, and that the rest of the experience goes awesomely.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Buy it for the camera. Nothing comes close. The apps you list run fine. Some apps are worse, some better. But core phone functionality is there and solid. And the camera... Just read reviews.. Look at samples. Play with it in store.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
In my situation going all in with WP8 was counterproductive. I ended up returning my first 925 because I was struggling with a few workarounds to get WP to run the way I wanted. I replaced my 925 with a 521 and carried it along side my Nexus 4. With no pressure to make the phone bend to my will within the 14 day return period I was able to research at my leisure and find suitable alternatives to the apps I use daily. The 521 did such a fantastic job of presenting WP8 that once I got it running well enough for me, I gave it to my son and got another 925.

Personally I feel that complimenting your current phone with a 521/520 and enjoying WP8 with no pressure makes a much more pleasurable experience. But this is strictly my opinion based on my experience.

I also found going all in with WP8 counterproductive. It's too immature and basic for my needs. I found WP8 much more complicated than both iOS & Android, simply because I had to figure out how to do workarounds for so many basic functions, or give them up completely. And I agree that the ideal use of a WP8 device is to use it alongside an Android or iOS device. I do that too. But, a lot of people can't or won't carry 2 phones.

The simplest way to put it, if your needs are basic, WP8 will work for you, if you need something with a bit more functionality you will be disappointed. It's that simple.

Yup, my thoughts exactly.

Buy it for the camera. Nothing comes close. The apps you list run fine. Some apps are worse, some better. But core phone functionality is there and solid. And the camera... Just read reviews.. Look at samples. Play with it in store.

Yes the core functionality is solid, but it's very basic. If that's all you need then go for it!

Yeahha

Jun 23, 2013
Visit site
And the apps often required squashing via task killers... if Android is so stable and all, why are task killers some of the most popular downloads from the Android market?
Perhaps because the average user isn't all that intelligent and think they need to circumvent the OS that is designed to keep things alive in the background for multitasking...redraw is annoying and takes time...trying to multitask on a WP is quite annoying compared to the Android experience.

I love my 928. The current windows phone marketplace reminds me of the Android Market back when I got the original moto droid...except lots of big names have already made some commitment to WP unlike Android had at that time (everything was clones of iOS apps basically)

Other than the lack of multitasking on WP8 I have no other complaints. It looks much more professional than Android. Basic features work as well as Android or better. At one point I would have never changed from Android since I was deep into Roms and theming, being able to edit any .png file on the phone to make it how you want it is fun then tedious then just annoying after a bit. Can't get root access on WP...oh well...been there...done that...have better things to do...

I can't say that WP will fit everyone as well as I think it fits my current needs...for that matter I can't say that Android or iOS won't fit someone's needs...all in all regardless of the OS you will be able to do basic phone functions, and surf the web...for the average user that is probably enough, if someone has specific requirements then they should look into specifics...if you want control of everything get a non-motorola Android phone, if you want a phone that just works out of the box either WP or iOS, if you want any and every app ever iOS, if you are already partially invested in one system it might be easier to stay there. One of the most annoying things with switching is you lose all the apps you have previously purchased, you can likely move other media from one ecosystem to another.

spyderzWPC

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
Nope, never had a task killer on the phone, and i'm not luying about never pulling the battery out neither.. you can believe it or not.
But like i said, it's probably the case of the more advance and filled with options the OS is (for example newer versions of Android then i had), the more there's a chance something will go wrong, get stuck etc.. On my 'simple' Froyo Android it never happened.

I had multiple droid devices in my house draining battery problems were all over the place..random starting apps had to be killed constantly...I blame Verizon and Motorola for absolute filling every droid they could with so much bloatware the phone was throwing up on itself.

Nataku4ca

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
you can't read them in sun light for nothing. The other thing driving me nuts is the lack of being able to change to a custom tone for text or email.

halcyonboy answered your first Q so I won't repeat it, as for the Sun Light thing, have you tried changing the brightness to high then set it back to automatic? I had the same issue when I first got my Lumia 800 a year or two ago and later found out that if under brightness setting it's set to auto with low it will literally give you really low brightness, killing readability under the sun, but if you set it to auto+high it actually reads much better than anything else out there

as for custom tone, apparently they heard us a month or two ago and said they are looking into it, im betting on either 8.1 to include it or the service pack after it (could be marketting talk too though...)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadDaniel