Help needed! Debating whether to switch to WP

Nataku4ca

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
WP7 had only 7.5(Mango) ONE update in three years.

shows how much you know... WP7 had Nodo first which was a great update, 7.5 Mango was a major feature update, then there was Tango to fix a few things, and finally 7.8 which brought the new screen and a few other things... knowing how phone upgrades work I hold very little grudge that we can't update to WP8, architectural change would require a flash of the rom that has a good chance of bricking the phone and i know a few Android friends that had bricked their phone trying to use a custom rom, imagine that but on an official level, would have been much worse

so ya, back to topic that is four "feature" updates in total out of two years + lots of Nokia love (they are still giving us perks)

Nataku4ca

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
Someone like you yes..
I've seen enough of it on the web and here on the forum to formally identify it as a thing..

people still believe comments on the internet? @@ :p
i've seen it once, when Lumia 800 first came out, that was Nokia's issue which got resolved, and now I have seen Lumia 520 (x2, coworker+cousin), Ativ S (my sister), HTC 8x (my buddy) and none of them had the issue described... so let me put it this way, may be the people complaining had hardware issues?

and internet comments tend to make issues sound more widespread then it really is, there are legit ones, but that doesn't mean everything you read is real, i mean look at XBox One and PS4, not even out yet and there are 300+ reviews for them on Bestbuy and Amazon already...

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
i've seen it once, when Lumia 800 first came out, that was Nokia's issue which got resolved, and now I have seen Lumia 520 (x2, coworker+cousin), Ativ S (my sister), HTC 8x (my buddy) and none of them had the issue described... so let me put it this way, may be the people complaining had hardware issues?

The very first Lumia 920 I got - the week of their initial release - drained battery like it was going out of style. It also ran in a state of perpetual overheating and randomly disconnected all connectivity until the phone was restarted. I returned that phone. I got an HTC 8X, no random battery drain or rebooting (a problem commonly associated with the 8X; I was fortunate) but I didn't like the form factor so I sold it. I got a Lumia 820, and it had no random battery drain at all; it's only problem was that the battery was a little loose, but that's nothing a folded piece of paper didn't fix. I got stupid and fell for the "ugh, WP8 has no good apps" line and sold it, switching back to an iPhone 4s. Last month I realized my mistake, sold my 4s, and got another Lumia 920. This Lumia 920's battery has been perfect with no random drain at all; I take it off the charger at about 5:30 AM and put it back on the charger at around 10:30 PM with about 40% charge remaining.

I'm not saying the issue doesn't exist, I'm just saying that I'm unconvinced it's a hardware or OS issue. I think it's more likely an issue with conflicting or poorly written apps/background tasks.

But that's just me.

Nataku4ca

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
The very first Lumia 920 I got - the week of their initial release - drained battery like it was going out of style. It also ran in a state of perpetual overheating and randomly disconnected all connectivity until the phone was restarted.

not sure if 920 had this problem as wide spread or you just got a bad phone (not in my list of seen around me so...)

I got an HTC 8X, no random battery drain or rebooting (a problem commonly associated with the 8X; I was fortunate)

my buddy's seems fine too, may be a particular batch?

battery was a little loose, but that's nothing a folded piece of paper didn't fix.

really? @@ wonder if that's the norm for that device

sold my 4s, and got another Lumia 920. This Lumia 920's battery has been perfect with no random drain at all

glad you're back with no issue on the new phone :)

I'm not saying the issue doesn't exist, I'm just saying that I'm unconvinced it's a hardware or OS issue. I think it's more likely an issue with conflicting or poorly written apps/background tasks.

But that's just me.

just to be clear for my part too, im just saying people are making it sound like its on every device which isn't the case, i can't say WP8 is so optimized that this will never happen, but if a guy that posted angry post saying there is battery drain issue, but was actually fiddling around with the phone all day and playing heavy hitter games because he just got the phone, and then he comes around and say that the phone only lasts a half day, do you really want to believe him...

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
not sure if 920 had this problem as wide spread or you just got a bad phone

I think QC on the first batches of 920s was rushed, because there were reports of similar issues all over these - and other - forums. The solution was to get the phone replaced. And, as I mentioned, my new 920 has been stellar.

glad you're back with no issue on the new phone :)

Thanks, and me too. I should have mentioned that to save money I tried a 520 before I picked up my current 920. It, too, was completely lacking in any sort of random battery drain issue. It was a great phone, I just needed something a bit... more. :)

i can't say WP8 is so optimized that this will never happen

Agreed. I mean, ultimately, it's a Microsoft product. And while Microsoft is getting way better with product quality, what's the first rule of troubleshooting Microsoft issues?

"Reboot, try again."

:D

venom5150

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
I just wanted to say that I "Like" stuff all the time vie the OS Facebook, Twitter integration. Select the + sign and select the thumbs up. Unless I am misinterpreting what you said.

nohra

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
For me, the camera (Lumia 920 in my case) far outweighed any app availability concerns. Nokia is all in on Windows Phone, even if HTC drops out WP isn't going away unless Nokia goes away. Certainly not in near future. In fact many apps are coming over to WP faster than ever before.

It all depends on what you use your phone for the most. For me, social media is of zero importance so I can't speak to that, but I had thought Facebook and Twitter were supposed to be pretty well integrated into WP8. And we just got an Instagram app. And I'm pretty sure there's whatsapp and ebay.

If you come over to WP, be prepared to enjoy the heck out of your phone (especially if you get a 1020)!! :cool:

capcom303

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
Well was able to switch the back ground and that has helped. But today my battery life sucked. Battery died without that much use. Phone is a week old tomorrow so many battery will get better but every other day no problem with battery life.

Also as some one else posted lack of setting custom tones for things like text is possibly going to be the breaking point for me.

mhans311

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
I have been an android user for about 3 years. I had a brief stint with an HTC trophy about a year and a half ago. Liked it for about a month then went back to Android. A few months ago I picked up an HTC 8x. WP has improved, but after a couple months I just got really bored again. The few little things that are missing in WP really bothered me such as notifications and no separate volume controls. I had to go back to Android.
Like others have said, WP isn't finished yet. And that's how it feels to use it. I feel like there is a lot of promise but it just doesn't feel like a complete experience.
Not trying to bash WP as I do like the OS and I will definitely be following its development.
One other thing: WP is very smooth. I wouldn't call it fast since the transitions from screen to screen are somewhat slow, but it is SMOOTH. Android has come a long way as well. I have been using the galaxy note 2 for a couple weeks and haven't had a single bit of lag or stutter. Just my experience.

Noted via tapatalk

broar94

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
shows how much you know... WP7 had Nodo first which was a great update, 7.5 Mango was a major feature update, then there was Tango to fix a few things, and finally 7.8 which brought the new screen and a few other things... knowing how phone upgrades work I hold very little grudge that we can't update to WP8, architectural change would require a flash of the rom that has a good chance of bricking the phone and i know a few Android friends that had bricked their phone trying to use a custom rom, imagine that but on an official level, would have been much worse

so ya, back to topic that is four "feature" updates in total out of two years + lots of Nokia love (they are still giving us perks)

Ah well I meant Major update. The other updates which you have mentioned (except 7.8 which I believe was brought AFTER wp8 came out so to appease Wp7 people who wanted the new homescreen(with multiple row of icons lol)) are all minor fixes and not really new features unlike Mango. For more information, you can see here: Windows Phone version history - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia . So basically the point I was trying to make was MS is very slow in their updates. I'm only hoping to see many more updates albeit at a faster pace.. :)

Wp8 is still immature and has long way to go for sure. My Lumia has already rebooted on me last week, My modded Droid NEVER failed on me. Dont compare Custom roms on Android with Wp8 lol dont make me laugh. Custom roms are really cool, nice way of trying new things whereas on Windows Phoen you are stuck with the same old tile look :) . Same with IOS. OP has to decide if he wants to try out a newer OS(like I did) or stick with Android(which has far more functionalities than either OS, and is really endless with the right Phone.

Last edited:

phasar

Banned
Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
I'm still trying to figure out how WP8 expected to compete against two giants like Apple and Google without offering any full featured phones. I'm hoping Nokia can survive and WP8 challenges for smartphone supremacy in the future, but currently they have quite a ways to go.

m3kk

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
Ah well I meant Major update. The other updates which you have mentioned (except 7.8 which I believe was brought AFTER wp8 came out so to appease Wp7 people who wanted the new homescreen(with multiple row of icons lol)) are all minor fixes and not really new features unlike Mango. For more information, you can see here: Windows Phone version history - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia . So basically the point I was trying to make was MS is very slow in their updates. I'm only hoping to see many more updates albeit at a faster pace.. :)

Wp8 is still immature and has long way to go for sure. My Lumia has already rebooted on me last week, My modded Droid NEVER failed on me. Dont compare Custom roms on Android with Wp8 lol dont make me laugh. Custom roms are really cool, nice way of trying new things whereas on Windows Phoen you are stuck with the same old tile look :) . Same with IOS. OP has to decide if he wants to try out a newer OS(like I did) or stick with Android(which has far more functionalities than either OS, and is really endless with the right Phone.

endless lag perhaps

Fade_z

Jun 15, 2013
Visit site
I'm still trying to figure out how WP8 expected to compete against two giants like Apple and Google without offering any full featured phones. I'm hoping Nokia can survive and WP8 challenges for smartphone supremacy in the future, but currently they have quite a ways to go.
By being different (ex the UI).
And offering features not present in other mobile OS's also by updating it adding missing features (gdrX and blue)?

Boris Lozac

Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
If OP is still debating maybe i can help a bit, my previous phone was a low budget Android.

Couple of things that really bother me with WP8:

The obvious problem with the battery (i'm getting annoying with this i know), it's really an issue, having to remove the batter 3 times now, while not doing that ever with the previous phone.
No AirDroid app
No custom notifications, used to have Twitter as a bird chirp, now i have no idea whether i've got an email, tweet, sms, low battery info, not until i look at the screen.
No "clear notifications", i don't need a notification centre but i want to clear the little number counters, for example IM+ and gtalk, i've read the messages on PC, but the number notification still remains on the tile and i have to go into the app, into that conversation, and then it clears, very stupid if you're used to "clear notifications"
Other storage issue is also still a mystery just like battery drain, no one has a clear clue yet, not even MS it seems.
No real time tiles for battery status and clock yet (it seems HTC has this but not sure how it works).
Can't hide videos, so if you have some clip that you don't want people to see, bad luck, it's there with your video of cat with a hat...
SkyDrive is not better then Dropbox to me, so it really needs official Dropbox.

OS has a huge potential and i really like it other then these couple of 'niggles'.. I'm sure i've forgot some though.

phasar

Banned
Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
By being different (ex the UI).
And offering features not present in other mobile OS's also by updating it adding missing features (gdrX and blue)?
You mean like tiles that don't always update, and not having the basic features that my old Nokia E71 and almost all Nokia phones had several years ago? Sure that's going to really gain WP8 a huge market share!!!

broar94

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
@m3kk, I'll ignore your post since you are just trolling. For only someone who has OCD, Lags can be very irritating otherwise it just becomes normal as you use it.

So folks... Remember there's no option to turn off toasts on WP.. Neither file Manager. No option to attach docs other than photos right from your Mail App. This is one of the drawbacks of WP8.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99