nokia music downloads on device - extremely low bitrates

atuxing

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
hi all,
got a new lumia 720 two weeks back.
just noticed nokia music downloads on the device are of extreme low bitrate and each songs average size is only 1mb.
i cant find a way to change the download bitrate setting for nokia music on my lumia.
anyway to change this?

also nokia music player for pc cant sync music to sdcard on the phone, it keeps syncing to phone storage.
currently i use wmp to sync to sdcard.
even songs downloaded through nokia music player for pc(256kbps) has low clarity while playing on pc.
i had felt nokia music alone makes lumia phones worth the money. but with all these issues i feel let down by nokia.

SanjitVignesh

Apr 18, 2013
Visit site
You shouldn't be bothered with the low bit rate. The files are small to reduce download size.
However they are for listening on the phone itself and with the headphone provided with the phone, the music quality is sufficient.

You can transfer the music you download to the SD card manually by connecting to your PC.

yeto

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I agree with the OP. The quality is terrible with the free music downloads. I think you get a higher bit rate with the paid service but the free service is useless.

atuxing

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
You shouldn't be bothered with the low bit rate. The files are small to reduce download size.
However they are for listening on the phone itself and with the headphone provided with the phone, the music quality is sufficient.

You can transfer the music you download to the SD card manually by connecting to your PC.

Hi sanjit,
Even my old Nokia symbian phone had option to change bitrate for Nokia music downloads.
Why can't Nokia give the customer this option on lumia phones!
Also do you think the supplied headphones are any worth? Potential of Nokia music should have warranted better headphones.

Hope Nokia will rectify this.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

mpt15

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
The bitrate is low but it is downloading in mp4 format, not mp3. The compression is higher in mp4, and even though bitrate is low, the quality is good even when playing on the computer

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
So your complaining about something that your not even paying for? I would suggest you write Nokia voicing your fustrations of their FREE product. I'd throw $20 in the pot betting you don't even get a reply.

This post is not message board worthy...

atuxing

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
So your complaining about something that your not even paying for? I would suggest you write Nokia voicing your fustrations of their FREE product. I'd throw $20 in the pot betting you don't even get a reply.

This post is not message board worthy...

my friend what are you talking about!
We paid for the phones features which included nokia unlimited music.
And that service should allow us to download songs at a decent bitrate. If not its only useful for previewing songs on the phone, with no use for music lovers.

Cool. I am just kind of requesting this basic feature on our phones , rather than being jailed with no options.

Sent from my RM-885_im_india_249 using Tapatalk

Huime

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
my friend what are you talking about!
We paid for the phones features which included nokia unlimited music.
And that service should allow us to download songs at a decent bitrate. If not its only useful for previewing songs on the phone, with no use for music lovers.

Cool. I am just kind of requesting this basic feature on our phones , rather than being jailed with no options.

Sent from my RM-885_im_india_249 using Tapatalk
While I do agreed that he sounds crazy, but you also do realize that when someone offered you paid and free service, it means that the free service should be a reasonable distance from the paid one right?

Want high bit rate? Pay for it.

dipankar_mitra

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
This is an old thread, but confirming that the same happens when I download songs on my device (Lumia 820). I did a quick check of the file downloaded on the device, and even though the extension is .mp3, the contents of the file itself is MPEG-4 AAC audio. The expected file extension should have been .m4a, but Nokia keept is as .mp3 (maybe to confuse other devices). My guess is that Nokia is using eAAC+ format (aka HE-AAC v2), which claims to give the same sound quality at 32 Kbps, as a standard MP3 file at 128 Kbps. This compression is achieved by removing higher frequencies in the encoded file and trying to guess them in the decoder, and removing one channel (i.e. making it mono), and trying to guess the other channel in the decoder.
While a 32 Kbps eAAC+ file may sound fine to most listeners using cheap headphones, they will annoy the hell out of those using more expensive headphones, and/or those who are audiophiles. It is quite silly of Nokia to market the great music abilities of the phone - even add Dolby headphones - and disappoint audiophiles by using such highly compressed files. I would even venture to guess that this was done to speed up downloads and save data costs for Asha/S40 phones, and somehow became the default option for Lumia's also. I do remember recently that Nokia Music/Mix Radio guys had a "wishlist" website setup somewhere. Let me look up that page again and request the removal of this "feature" there!

Sunil Naik

Oct 15, 2014
Visit site
hi all,
got a new lumia 720 two weeks back.
just noticed nokia music downloads on the device are of extreme low bitrate and each songs average size is only 1mb.
i cant find a way to change the download bitrate setting for nokia music on my lumia.
anyway to change this?

also nokia music player for pc cant sync music to sdcard on the phone, it keeps syncing to phone storage.
currently i use wmp to sync to sdcard.
even songs downloaded through nokia music player for pc(256kbps) has low clarity while playing on pc.
i had felt nokia music alone makes lumia phones worth the money. but with all these issues i feel let down by nokia.

I tried playing a 256 bitrate song in my Lumia 925 and its not supported..WTF?? I paid 30k for a mobile tat does nt support high quality songs..regrets..

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)