How about Windows phone version of this beautiful phone?

nohra

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
There is always going to be that segment of the market that wants the physical keyboard on their phone, but I think it's getting smaller and smaller. I think many of the previous QWERTY keyboard lovers have accepted the reality of all touch as devices with keyboards are getting harder and harder to find.

I would personally be fine with no physical Qwerty board IF there were at least ARROW KEYS either physically on the phone or on the virtual keyboard. That is what I loved most about physical slide out Qwertys; the fact that I could just arrow back or up or down to move around my text. I realize I can tap and hold and then move the cursor around. But sometimes that causes you to move around the page too fast and you can't get it right where you want.

But by far, a Lumia 1020 with a physical slide-out qwerty would be just about as perfect as the future could get :love: (I realize there's no way that could really be physically possible and keep a decent shape to the phone, but i can dream).

lippidp

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
There is always going to be that segment of the market that wants the physical keyboard on their phone, but I think it's getting smaller and smaller. I think many of the previous QWERTY keyboard lovers have accepted the reality of all touch as devices with keyboards are getting harder and harder to find.

Consumers are fickle. Keyboards are not in style now, but I wouldn't be surprised to see them make a comeback. Nokia needs to create the trends, not follow them, if they ever want to be top dog. Samsung brought back the stylus and made it "cool" with the Note, after many had claimed the stylus was dead. The thing about trends is that at some point people realize that the trend was stupid and then settle on something more practical.

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I was a real holdout when touchscreen phones came out. I didn't think I would be able to get used to a phone without a real keyboard. When I bought my Focus, I almost bought a Quantum with the slideout keyboard. I am really glad that I didn't. All touchscreen phones are clearly the future, and they will only get better as time goes on, with predictive text and possibly features like swype.

krox1105

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Consumers are fickle. Keyboards are not in style now, but I wouldn't be surprised to see them make a comeback. Nokia needs to create the trends, not follow them, if they ever want to be top dog. Samsung brought back the stylus and made it "cool" with the Note, after many had claimed the stylus was dead. The thing about trends is that at some point people realize that the trend was stupid and then settle on something more practical.
How I wish that there is another like N97 or the n900...
The cravings get stronger day by day.

lippidp

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
How I wish that there is another like N97 or the n900...
The cravings get stronger day by day.
Nokia keeps cranking out new devices every other month it seems. It is only a matter of time before one of them has a keyboard, assuming the OS even supports them.

krox1105

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Nokia keeps cranking out new devices every other month it seems. It is only a matter of time before one of them has a keyboard, assuming the OS even supports them.

Yes, the OS does support them. HTC arrive and dell venue pro were with physical keyboards.

Brian Overby

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
I think a phone with a physical keyboard will be to expensive. With a software keyboard you can just change language (or add another) - so you can make one phone for a lot of different languages. That's not posible with a physical keyboard. I don't think we'll see a new Windows Phone with a physical keyboard - just too expensive.

...and I'm happy with a touch keyboard. Just my $0.10 ;-)

krox1105

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I think a phone with a physical keyboard will be to expensive. With a software keyboard you can just change language (or add another) - so you can make one phone for a lot of different languages. That's not posible with a physical keyboard. I don't think we'll see a new Windows Phone with a physical keyboard - just too expensive.

...and I'm happy with a touch keyboard. Just my $0.10 ;-)

Well, this was my point earlier too: physical keyboards give flexibility. If someone did need to type in another language, then would have the touch keyboard at his disposal. And when he needs to type in English, he has that brilliant hardware keyboard.

krox1105

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I was a real holdout when touchscreen phones came out. I didn't think I would be able to get used to a phone without a real keyboard. When I bought my Focus, I almost bought a Quantum with the slideout keyboard. I am really glad that I didn't. All touchscreen phones are clearly the future, and they will only get better as time goes on, with predictive text and possibly features like swype.

Variety is the spice of life. What's the trouble in having both the types of phones?
Besides, that slide out hardware qwerty phone WILL be an all touch device as well :)

ratsttam

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
Not quite a nokia, but before I upgraded to the 8XT, I had the HTC Arrive. It was WP7.5 with a slideout keyboard. SO... WP7/8 is capable of it, but the manufacturers just don't see a huge market for it, and the costs to design/develop/manufacture don't seem to be worth it to them :(
I would have LOVED to get an "updated" Arrive, instead of the 8XT, but I certainly don't mind it.

krox1105

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Not quite a nokia, but before I upgraded to the 8XT, I had the HTC Arrive. It was WP7.5 with a slideout keyboard. SO... WP7/8 is capable of it, but the manufacturers just don't see a huge market for it, and the costs to design/develop/manufacture don't seem to be worth it to them :(
I would have LOVED to get an "updated" Arrive, instead of the 8XT, but I certainly don't mind it.

Just curious, why did you go for an HTC when you could have gone for a lumia?

WinFan1

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
I would personally be fine with no physical Qwerty board IF there were at least ARROW KEYS either physically on the phone or on the virtual keyboard. That is what I loved most about physical slide out Qwertys; the fact that I could just arrow back or up or down to move around my text. I realize I can tap and hold and then move the cursor around. But sometimes that causes you to move around the page too fast and you can't get it right where you want.

But by far, a Lumia 1020 with a physical slide-out qwerty would be just about as perfect as the future could get :love: (I realize there's no way that could really be physically possible and keep a decent shape to the phone, but i can dream).
such a wonderful signature LOL i love it!!

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
qwerty is such a niche market these days, Nokia needs to develop a case with a slide out bt keyboard that does the same thing. kind of like what they did with the camera grip for the few people who want to hold it like a camera.

gedzum

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
I remember the N97. I had the N97 mini and it was one of favourite pieces of hardware. It felt good in the hand and the keypad was a joy to type on. Shame the OS wasn't the best. Also had the N900 and that was also a nice device, but was on the chunky side.

I have had moments where I wonder what those phones would have been like running WP, but I doubt we'll see anything like it.

qwerty is such a niche market these days, Nokia needs to develop a case with a slide out bt keyboard that does the same thing. kind of like what they did with the camera grip for the few people who want to hold it like a camera.

That would be an interesting concept and something I would like to try if it ever came to being.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077