Do you have random battery drain

pgoelz

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
There is no problem with installed apps, 2-3-4-100000000000g connection, syncing or 3x cycle or who knows what other issue. THE ONLY PROBLEM WITH THESE PHONES BATTERY DRAINAGE IS THE DEADLY COMBINATION NOKIA HAS BECOME (MS + CHINA) AND THERE WILL ONLY BE SOLVED IF NOKIA DEVELOPS ITS OWN PHONES IN FINLAND AND THEY DO THEIR OWN OPERATING SYSTEM.

But that will not be happening soon since Nokia = Microsoft and viceversa. Good night everyone.

PS - Nokia Lumia 1020 users buy some Camera Grips they give extra juice...

My WP8 adventure began when I practically "stole" a like new 820 on Ebay for $38. I was curious about Windows Phone and the Nokia 820 was an OK size so I put my ATT SIM in it and started playing with it. My impression was then and is now that it is a very well made phone. Regardless of where it was made, I don't think there is ANYTHING wrong with the hardware or the build quality.

The OS, on the other hand, is awful and I suspect is the sole reason for all the issues.... battery life being only one of them. The problem is not that it is Microsoft per-se. The problem is that WP was released to the wild half baked and fixing glaring issues may well take longer than the life cycle of any given phone.

I stuck with my 820 until after the Amber update and did my best to debug the battery life issue. When it was good it was very good. I saw several days of 0.5% drain per hour in standby overnight. But then for no obvious reason, that figure would triple. And without adequate diagnostic software, it was anybody's guess what the culprit was.

So I finally gave up and bought a Motorola Moto X. What a difference! Android is fairly mature by now and I have actually had ZERO issues. Battery life is not as good as the 820 at its best. But the Moto X can easily do about 1.2%/hour in standby even with location services, bluetooth, active display and WiFi on, and that figure is rock solid and consistent. No crazy ups and downs. If you cruise the Moto X forums, you will see very few posts about actual issues.

I think Nokia makes great phones. WP8 has possibilities, but Microsoft needs to dedicate more resources to fixing broken stuff and open up the OS to better diagnostic software or it is going to go down the tubes. IMO. So for now my 820 is unused and shunted to the side. I am very thankful that I didn't pay much for it. Maybe some day it will become a great phone when the kinks get ironed out.

Paul

ASRoma1979

Dec 2, 2013
Visit site
You know Paul, my first smart mobile phone was a Nokia N95 8GB made in finland (symbian Ana OS - latest upgrade). That was 6 years ago. I still have that phone you know, and it's only problem is it fell on the ground too many times and battery doesnt stay in it's place no more and case is very broken. Unwanting to invest +100 euro in repairs, changing its case, front panel, new battery etc, I end up buying this Nokia Lumia 1020 made in china (WM 8 OS - 3049 latest upgrade.

AND WHAT A BIG DIFERENCE INDEED.

Between a well polished, but limited, made by Nokia itself (Symbian) - 100% Reliable, Smooth, etc. Name one thing you can use a mobile phone for and I don't thing there is any I haven't used my N95 as

And a crap, unhandled, random, broken, unexplain ... you name it, made by Microsoft (WM 8) - 0% Reliable, lots of randoms of everything, unexplained battery drainage, etc...

I SO MISS MY OLD NOKIA. MAYBE I SHOULD INVEST 100 euro AND REPAIR IT AND JUST DUMP THIS LUMIA INTO THE TOILET AND FLUSH IT (SORRY MY HONEST OPINION AFTER 5 DAYS USAGE)

ASRoma1979

Dec 2, 2013
Visit site
Ok. Quick update. 20 minutes ago, after I have chosen 4G (had 2G before) as my network type, after I activated Orange's data connection, after I added another email account, set their sincronisation to 1 hour, after I browsed a bit nokia's account via mobile internet explorer, my lumia got horny and it's battery usage went up to 15%/hour. After 15 minutes I did a software reset and now it sits on 2%/hour.

This phone has either a completly unamaneged OS, broken, doomed, whatever... Or I'm Elvis ... And I'm not :)

Boris Lozac

Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
Ok. Quick update. 20 minutes ago, after I have chosen 4G (had 2G before) as my network type, after I activated Orange's data connection, after I added another email account, set their sincronisation to 1 hour, after I browsed a bit nokia's account via mobile internet explorer, my lumia got horny and it's battery usage went up to 15%/hour. After 15 minutes I did a software reset and now it sits on 2%/hour.

This phone has either a completly unamaneged OS, broken, doomed, whatever... Or I'm Elvis ... And I'm not :)

This is something i've noticed too, if you change sync settings, add new email etc, it can cause a drain after it finishes syncing, until you soft reset it.

videian

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
Mine sure does, to the point where I just don't trust it. I leave my phone in the car all day during work. Never know when it will just be almost depleted when I come out to go home. It doesn't happen often, but often enough to not trust it. I sometimes just restart it before I leave it in the car to reset everything.

One of the reasons I'm going back to iPhone when the get that mythical larger screen.

Boris Lozac

Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
That's how i felt too when the drain was often. But for some reason, or because of some app that i've unnistalled, or because i've started closing tabs in IE, it doesn't happen anymore..

taymur

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
Why is the poll called "random" battery drain, I have to charge my lumia 920 2 (sometimes 3) times a day. and I normally use it.

The other day I got stuck in an airport for 7 hours, so I was on the phone all the time, but, at some point I charged it full, then emptied it in 2 hours (constant usage) didn't like it.

**This only means that my phone can only do two hours of usage per charge, so during a day, im allowed about 2 hours of usage - minus some standby time?!?!?!!? I cant live like this.

My brothers L625 can last 2 days on a single charge (the performance difference isn't that big)

taymur

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
Cause the problem is, random :) You leave the phone on table and you lose 30% in a hour or something, and you have no idea why.
We're not talking about playing Asphalt for 5 hours and wondering where did the battery go :)
Actually I was being sarcastic, as this random act happens so frequently it should be called consistant. And I said I chargebmy phone 2 times a day with anormal usage, not playing asphalt.

blackout2005

Dec 8, 2013
Visit site
Last night I had more than 40% battery left. And I woke up in the morning the phone couldn't even start. This has never happened before lol. I even switched it to airplane mode before I went to sleep.

Lumia 520 GDR3. Oh and before I went to sleep I developer-unlock'd my phone, installed the lockscreen shortcut and the old youtube app. Can't be sure what was causing the drainage but today the battery seems fine.

teckris

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
ha ha.. Wondering what happened.. the phone drains 14% without even touching
2G connected.
background [whatsapp and Battery by arthur]
Wifi,bluetooth,Tap-to-share,location OFF

No idea... :p

Kubiubo

Nov 17, 2013
Visit site
With normal usage including music, browsing the internet, and checking social networks all on high brightness I manage to squeeze out 12 hours of battery life on my Lumia 820. Keep in mind that I have 8 hour shifts at work, so the heavy usage is dedicated to my 30 minute lunch and my commute to and from home (which is about an hour on Metro, both ways.)

However, yesterday my phone went from 100% to 19% in four hours while in my pocket. It does this every so often and I'm not sure what causes it. I'm fairly sure it isn't searching for a signal, I live in a strong LTE area, and it's definitely not searching for WiFi.

Looks like this seems to be a common issue with Windows Phone devices.

Paul Verizzo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
Ah, the thread that will not die.

Now five months into my Nokia 810 and contributing a number of postings to this thread, here is my long term experience. (Oh, I typically have data off, wifi and Glance on 24/7. No social media stealth drains. Maybe 600 minutes a month talk. Pretty much as little battery use as possible.) The botttom line is this: THERE IS NO CONSISTENCY!

I've seen many hours at .5%, some as little as .3% (Two weeks run time!). Over one recent period I saw the percentage keep creeping up day by day until it hit over 5%. Hmmmmmm....... I rebooted, and back down to Happy Land. So now I try to reboot every AM - have to remember to reset the audio up so that I can, like, you know, hear my phone ring - and it's never the same drain rate.

And I still get sporadic sudden battery drain warnings.

All that brain power at MS and Nokia and they can't fix this.

Sometimes I miss old dial up rotary phones. At least there were no surprises.

Boris Lozac

Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
ha ha.. Wondering what happened.. the phone drains 14% without even touching
2G connected.
background [whatsapp and Battery by arthur]
Wifi,bluetooth,Tap-to-share,location OFF

No idea... :p

That battery app most likely, remove it.

@ paul verizzo

Maybe i've asked this, but do you use any app that is dodgy, like a battery app of some sort? Luckily for me these awfull drainings stopped but it seems if i try and do anything 'out of the ordinary' like download some more apps, it will start happening again. So i'm kinda sticking with what i have.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo