Lack of Skype voicemail sending me back to Android.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tmpusr889

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
The stupidness of Android is what originally drove me to the simple elegance of Windows Phone. The problem is Android has improved a lot and Windows Phone not so much. I really can't belive that we still can't listen to voicemail in Skype. Microsoft always talks about how hard they work to get the best apps, but they can't we working that hard. They own Skype and still can't get a client comparable to Android or iOS.

There are tons of other issues like no local backup, needing three taps to dial a phone number, no notification center and restricted access to settings that drive me nuts too, but the Skype issue tells me that Microsoft doesn't really care.

crash1989

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Sad to see you leave. Enjoy your time with whatever you choose.

Apart from notification center other issues are in no way bothering me. I use Rap Dialer for quick calling. Settings are fine, Nokia has done a lot to improve on the missing stuff, but Android is superior agreed. I personally have no clue what's going on with Skype.

MXI

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
My guess is that you don't see a whole lot of Skype updates because there wont' be a Skype client in 8.1 so its not a great use of development time. Again, just a guess... but I think you'll see Skype baked fully into the OS and there will be no such thing as a Skype app.

waazzupppp

Sep 28, 2009
Visit site
While I completely understand your frustration here, you do have to look at the fact that Microsoft doesn't want to build a "Skype App" or a "Skype Client" - they want to build Skype INTO WP. They want to make it where you only have to check one inbox for all your messages and one place where you get all your calls - Skype, Xbox, Voice and everything else... That said, painfully, they aren't there yet. They have a brilliant amount built into WP8, but the reboot from WP7 really set them back on timing. The fact that everything else needs an App to do it, just shows you how far ahead MS is with the concept of Windows Phone. I'm sure that the Skype App will continue to be updated with new features - and considering you can access your VM box from the Skype mobile site - checking VM should be a pretty quick one for them.

With all of that said, there is a notification center in Windows Phone - it's called a Live Tile. They update every 30 minutes and your lock screen will show you up to 5 different notifications at the bottom of it. Is it as indepth as some want it to be, of course not, but if anyone remembers what 'Windows Phone' was supposed to do, it was originally designed to 'save us from our phones' and that's exactly what this simple, yet powerful OS is doing.

The title of this thread says that not having Skype Voicemail is sending you back to Android. You then say you there are tons of issues that are driving you nuts too... Sometimes we just have to admit that most of us in the forums are a bit more on the 'tweak and play side' of things that stability and just plain working. Honestly, if Microsoft were to send you an email stating that Skype voicemail support is coming in 2 months, would you stay? If that was the only real reason for leaving, you would pin a live tile to your home page for the Skype Mobile site and just check your VM that way for a bit. Updates are coming, but WP isn't about getting better Apps, its about integrating into the OS for a seamless and simple experience.

sueha

May 31, 2012
Visit site
Voice Mail? Do you mean that brand new feature? If so, how can you be that much dependent on a new feature? Anyways, Skype on WP is definitely going to be the best Skype soon. It would be foolish to not integrate the service, because Skype needs to be pushed and WP needs exclusive features. Sad to see so many impatient users.

fwaits

Mar 9, 2008
Visit site
The stupidness of Android is what originally drove me to the simple elegance of Windows Phone. The problem is Android has improved a lot and Windows Phone not so much. I really can't belive that we still can't listen to voicemail in Skype. Microsoft always talks about how hard they work to get the best apps, but they can't we working that hard. They own Skype and still can't get a client comparable to Android or iOS.

There are tons of other issues like no local backup, needing three taps to dial a phone number, no notification center and restricted access to settings that drive me nuts too, but the Skype issue tells me that Microsoft doesn't really care.

Re: Skype, I can't argue with you too much there. I do think they should have gotten Skype up to speed faster. Granted maybe they need some things from GDR2/3 to complete the necessary infrastructure on WP8, but it's still not ideal or acceptable to some.

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
My guess is that you don't see a whole lot of Skype updates because there wont' be a Skype client in 8.1 so its not a great use of development time. Again, just a guess... but I think you'll see Skype baked fully into the OS and there will be no such thing as a Skype app.

This guy actually gets it.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
So... dude's got "tmpusr" in his user name, has 8 posts total, and hasn't been back to this thread in over 3 hours. While I would never use the T-word, this certainly seems to be a post looking to rile up the community as opposed to looking for help or consolation.

Otherwise all it is, is a rage-gasm G-quit. :D

FinancialP

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
I highly doubt Skype will be baked into 8.1.

Services such as Skype require maintenance and fast updates for new features.

So, I wouldn't count on it being baked in. What we see now is as baked as it will likely get.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I highly doubt Skype will be baked into 8.1.

Services such as Skype require maintenance and fast updates for new features.

So, I wouldn't count on it being baked in. What we see now is as baked as it will likely get.
This is what I would hope - but I'd add that certainly we can hope for greater integration with the OS....

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
So what difference does it make whether Skype is an app or built in? I'm not sure why WP users keep saying built is better than an app. If it's an app you can remove it if you don't use it. Android integrates their apps very well, so it really operates as if it's built in. But it's true that iOS and WP apps don't function quite so tight, so I can see there how being built in could be preferred.

That said, it doesn't matter whether or not Skype is a WP app or built in; it leaves a lot to be desired. I am not placated by knowing that it MIGHT BE integrated into the OS in 8.1. The reality is that we have a half baked solution at the moment. And even when Skype is integrated, who's to say that it's going to function any better than it does now?

tmpusr889

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
To those two posters who say VM is new, I have had Skype voicemail since 2006 when I first subscribed to Skype-In/Skype-Out. It has been part of Android for a long time.

To the others, I don't really care if it's baked in or not, I just want it to work. It's an app I use every day and I don't want to settle for something subpar.

I actually found another bug with Skype for WP. If I'm disconnected from wifi and get a call, as soon as I reconnect to wifi Skype rings and says I have an incoming call, even if it was a call that came in hours ago. If you hit answer it even says you are connected, nobody is on the other line of course.

I hate Apple and think Android is overly complicated. I really want Windows Phone to succeed. I just can't wait for that to happen. Overly complicated is better than broken.

Last edited by a moderator:

AR2186

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
Definitely the case, just like Windows 8.1

tmpusr889

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
They said VM was new, not that it was new on phones. Either way they are wrong and you are wrong. VM is not new. VM on phones is not new. The newest thing even related to Skype VM was video voicemail and that was added to Android way back in Februrary. Regular VM for Skype in Android was added in 2.6 back in 2011.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
They said VM was new, not that it was new on phones. Either way they are wrong and you are wrong. VM is not new. VM on phones is not new. The newest thing even related to Skype VM was video voicemail and that was added to Android way back in Februrary. Regular VM for Skype in Android was added in 2.6 back in 2011.

My apologies - having never used Skype prior to about a month ago, I didn't realize that the VM was already on Android and iOS, and that it was just Video VM that was new. I was under the impression that there was just VM, not separating video from VM.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99