Moving from WP7 to WP8 soon-- question about email sync

RodimusMajor

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
Alright, I will be getting a 1020 sometime next week as a birthday present, but as I think about the consequent switch to WP8 from 7, I remembered a lingering question I had about email accounts. I'm aware of the situation with Google and ActiveSync and all that, and how it'll hamper WP8 users' ability to get emails as they come if they're using a Gmail account. The thing is, on my current L900, which I got and set up in December 2012, currently gets emails dynamically on said account. I'm not sure whether I can expect the same once I set up the same account on my new WP8 phone, though. Is ActiveSync support on WP7 a "grandfathered in" thing that I'll lose once I move to my new phone?

God, I hope that made sense. Reading over it, I can barely understand my own question, lol.

RodimusMajor

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
Google mail works just fine on WP8.

I was certain of that, yeah, I was just wondering if I'd be forced into the "only syncs every 15 or 30 minutes" thing once I switch. I read that ActiveSync would be "extended to the end of the year", but I'm not sure where that applies.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
I was certain of that, yeah, I was just wondering if I'd be forced into the "only syncs every 15 or 30 minutes" thing once I switch. I read that ActiveSync would be "extended to the end of the year", but I'm not sure where that applies.

Don't hold me to this, but you should be able to setup your gmail account as an ActiveSync account on your 1020.

When I moved from my 822 to my 928 it let me set it up as ActiveSync. (It's technicalled called Outlook on the setup screen) I was a little worried initially thinking the "grandfathered" part only applied to the current device I was sync'ing with.

RodimusMajor

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
Don't hold me to this, but you should be able to setup your gmail account as an ActiveSync account on your 1020.

When I moved from my 822 to my 928 it let me set it up as ActiveSync. (It's technicalled called Outlook on the setup screen) I was a little worried initially thinking the "grandfathered" part only applied to the current device I was sync'ing with.

Hm...well, that's encouraging at least. But what do you mean by "technically called Outlook on the startup screen"?

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Setup screen. When you pick what type of account you want, the item you pick is called Outlook. I think it says Exchange in smaller text underneath.

speedtouch

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site

Oh! I'm sorry. I completely misunderstood what you were asking. My Gmail is set to download new emails "as items arrive". I can set it to 15 mins, 30 mins, 1 hr, or manually.

RodimusMajor

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
Oh! I'm sorry. I completely misunderstood what you were asking. My Gmail is set to download new emails "as items arrive". I can set it to 15 mins, 30 mins, 1 hr, or manually.
Right, right-- "as they arrive" is what I have now on my 900, and the question was whether I could still have that once I get my 1020, since Google is cancelling that service. The other fellow said it might be possible depending on what I do when setting up the account.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99