08-28-2013 07:17 PM
72 123
tools
    If Elop were to leave it would not change the factors that led Nokia from choosing WP in the first place. There are many reasons why switching, or even selling side-by-side is a very bad move for Nokia.
    08-27-2013 07:05 AM
    Why become another Andro-bot and get lost in the maze??
    Nokia is a hardware company; they need sheer numbers. Their hardware is top notch, unlike some other Android OEMs. I believe Nokia could make a name for themselves in the Android market. If they captured even 5% of the Android market it would mean higher sales than they have now. And I think they could do a lot better than that.

If they're smart, MS and Nokia will continue to leverage their respective strengths and their common objectives. If they execute effectively both companies and their customers win; if they don't they can lose.
    WP is almost 3 years old, and the market share is < 5%. They need to BEGIN to execute effectively!
    08-27-2013 07:06 AM
    Too many suggestions based on emotion here. Think logically, folks.

Elop has done wonders for Windows phone but that doesn't mean he would be the right fit as Microsoft's CEO even though he has worked for Microsoft in the past. I think some of you need to look outside the WP box and understand that WP is only one sliver of Microsoft's huge line of products and services. Microsoft's reach is incredibly vast and their bucket is very deep. Many analyst suggest it's too deep. IMO, one of the reasons Microsoft takes so long to get anything done is because they have their hands in too many cookie jars.

Elop has done a great job getting Nokia back on course. And it's because of his/their actions that have really kicked the door in for WP. Why make such a risky change that leaves the fate of Microsoft, Nokia, AND WP into a huge gray unknown?

And in regards to Microsoft buying Nokia, bad idea for all parties involved, IMO. Nothing about it makes solid business sense. Also see second paragraph. If this was done there would be zero incentive for other manufacturers to make WP or other devices.
    • Blackberry: Makes their own phone platform and hardware. Result - Almost non-existent
    • Apple: Makes their own phone platform and hardware. Result - Market share down to 30%

Why follow suit?
    08-27-2013 07:47 AM
    i was listening to a discussion between mary jo foley and paul thurott (however you spell it) and they said satya nadella would be the best choice internally.
    08-27-2013 07:49 AM
    Elop will stay at Nokia
    08-27-2013 08:09 AM
    I'm becoming very tempted to get a Windows Phone but what concerns me is if Elop becomes the new Microsoft CEO then maybe Nokia will ditch WP and go to Android or something else.

What do you think?

I'm just hoping that more and more apps arrive on WP quickly and that the app store continues to grow and get more and more official apps, I just hope that the app growth doesn't just stop.

I believe that WP could give iOS and Android a big run for their money in the next year or two but only if things improve a lot and quickly.

i'm not going to judge you or anything but that is the weirdest conclusion ever.... it would shock me if it happens in real life

remember elop was the driving force of wp on nokia

a while back people were calling him the trojan horse from MS

if he were to go to MS the LAST thing he would do is dump wp... especially not for android... A DIRECT COMPETITOR

no worries man... wp is here to stay...

unless MS makes a mistake and hire the wrong ceo...

i love windows 8, xbox, office and wp.... i wont forgive any ceo that kills either one
    08-27-2013 08:17 AM
    Samsung is the only company making a meaningful profit on Android. To switch platforms again would mean spending another billion just to get where they are now with WP. Nevermind any contractual issues or another couple years of disappearing sales because they're abandoning a platform.

They've positioned themselves to be the Samsung of WP. They need the OS to grow to get back to reasonable profitability, but that's a smaller gamble than scuttling their smartphone line for the second time in three years.
    a5cent and psudotechzealot like this.
    08-27-2013 09:18 AM
    Nokia is a hardware company; they need sheer numbers. Their hardware is top notch, unlike some other Android OEMs. I believe Nokia could make a name for themselves in the Android market. If they captured even 5% of the Android market it would mean higher sales than they have now. And I think they could do a lot better than that.
    HTC had about 10% of the Android market in 1Q13, and made $2.8million. It's a gamble to stick with WP and assume it will grow, but it's a smaller gamble than trying to play in the Android pool. Samsung has a stranglehold on Android profits.

Samsung grabs 95 percent of Android smartphone profits | Mobile - CNET News!
    08-27-2013 09:24 AM
    There's no apps or small app library. It's all anyone who ask me about my windows phone can ever say when looking at my phone. It's the lamest argument ever. Yes I have installed apps but is there one I can't live without? Probably only the social ones like gtalk, whatsapp, skype would be missed by me. Stuff I need for communication.
    08-27-2013 09:43 AM
    Its got the same problem as every other Windows RT tablet: price.
    But... they haven't yet announced pricing for it. As a matter of fact, they haven't even formally announced IT. And Surface RT pricing was just dropped.
    08-27-2013 09:58 AM
    It's the lamest argument ever.
    It totally is. At one point I let myself get swayed by that argument and ditched my WPs to go back to iPhone. You know what I realized? There were maybe 5 apps that I actually used on iOS, and (at that time) the only one not on WP8 was Instagram. So I slapped myself around a bit for being stupid, sold my iPhone, and got another WP. :D

(Also, I find it funny that WP now has MORE Instagram apps - even ones which post pictures - than any other platform. Heh.)
    a5cent likes this.
    08-27-2013 10:04 AM
    Only if Stephen Elop is the only person in upper management that is sold on Windows Phone. What are the odds? Yeah, I thought so. Pretty slim.
    08-27-2013 12:03 PM
    Of course they need sheer numbers; the issue is how to create them.

There are varying strategies for product marketing. Given the fact the a majority of WP users are probably refugees from Android/IOS it's safe to say (based on anecdotal evidence here) they really like the difference. If Nokia jumps into the Android fray (very late) they will have a smaller margin of error for their products. Additionally as has been stated here Android is a fragmented OS -- the base capabilities are provided by Google, but the manufacturers/carriers are left holding the implementation bag. That costs dollars, and drains margins. One of the strengths IOS enjoys is it's singularity. Same for WP. One code base. One set of APIs. Simple is better.

WP is almost 3 years old, and the market share is < 5%. They need to BEGIN to execute effectively!
    On that we agree.
    08-27-2013 12:24 PM
    I don't know why windows platform takes ages to get new updates ... Honestly i like it all lot and i keep coming back to it only to find how much this platform is missing out compared to ios and android
    08-27-2013 12:26 PM
    I don't know why windows platform takes ages to get new updates ... Honestly i like it all lot and i keep coming back to it only to find how much this platform is missing out compared to ios and android
    I really don't understand this complaint. It's going to be two years between Android 4.0 and 5.0. The differences between 2.0 and 2.3 (14 months) and 4.0 to 4.3 (21 months) are less signifcant than 7 to 7.5 and likely 8 to 8.1. iOS releases essentially once per year. Yes, they need to catch up with Android and iOS in some areas and so matching pace isn't sufficient, but it's not like it's the days of WinMo anymore. WP8 was a complete rewrite of the OS, with a decent amount of under the hood work done for GDR2 and GDR3.
    08-27-2013 12:46 PM
    It's going to be two years between Android 4.0 and 5.0.
    That's technically true, but 4.0 to 4.1 was a new version, ICS to JB. However, I cannot explain why 4.1 wasn't 5.0 instead. Android, like iOS, now basically releases a new version every year, with more minor updates in between.
    08-27-2013 01:09 PM
    But... they haven't yet announced pricing for it. As a matter of fact, they haven't even formally announced IT. And Surface RT pricing was just dropped.
    There was a leak that claimed $499 along with the full spec list, though you're right, it hasn't been announced officially, but regardless, that should not be the price point for the nokia tablet. If the retina Nexus 10 can be sold for $399 so can the nokia tablet :)
    08-27-2013 01:19 PM
    That's technically true, but 4.0 to 4.1 was a new version, ICS to JB. However, I cannot explain why 4.1 wasn't 5.0 instead. Android, like iOS, now basically releases a new version every year, with more minor updates in between.
    There was some optimisation under the hood, but it was not a major release despite the new name. More than a GDR release, less than Mango was.
    08-27-2013 02:20 PM
    And do what? Fight with Samsung and Google owned Motorola in Android space?
    I just do not see how that would be a better strategy for them.
    08-27-2013 02:34 PM
    And do what? Fight with Samsung and Google owned Motorola in Android space?
    I just do not see how that would be a better strategy for them.
    And the more established HTC, which has the technical chops if not manufacturing and marketing.
    08-27-2013 02:39 PM
    I didnt read any of the posts, so sorry if this has been pointed out already. Lets say for argument sake that Elop would leave Nokia to become CEO of MS. Lets say Elop would be the main pusher of WP strategy at Nokia (the board holds the ultimate power in the company), and Nokia would be starting to ditch WP or take Android also..... With 80% of WP devices sold being Nokia made, MS would only have one option, they would buy Nokia's devices. Its been discussed in many places and its unavoidable. This is the only option MS would have. I dont think it needs to be debated, unless someone has inside information from MS that they plan to be the world biggest microwave manufacturer in 5 years, and they dont need to be involved in the mobile industry.

EDIT: What I think is not talked about much about Nokia's move to WP, is the fact that if Nokia would have been going to Android. Google would have done everything to kill Nokia Maps and who knows what services. Android was not an option to Nokia anymore, that late in the game. Earlier maybe yes, when Nokia had more power to demand things...
    08-27-2013 02:46 PM
    Why on earth would Nokia ditch WP? It's the best seller of all the phone manufacturers that produce Windows Phones...
    08-27-2013 02:53 PM
    this is apparent from the lack of updates and innovation of the platform.
    WP updates, past 12 months: 3
    Android updates, past 12 months: 3
    iOS updates, past 12 months:1
    hcrick, iamtim and hopmedic like this.
    08-27-2013 03:43 PM
    No, there were 2 updates, Portico and GDR2
    08-27-2013 03:45 PM
    No, 8, portico and gdr2. Thats 3.
    08-27-2013 04:01 PM
72 123