If Elop becomes the new Microsoft CEO will Nokia ditch WP?

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
It's going to be two years between Android 4.0 and 5.0.

That's technically true, but 4.0 to 4.1 was a new version, ICS to JB. However, I cannot explain why 4.1 wasn't 5.0 instead. Android, like iOS, now basically releases a new version every year, with more minor updates in between.

Moiz Mian

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
But... they haven't yet announced pricing for it. As a matter of fact, they haven't even formally announced IT. And Surface RT pricing was just dropped.

There was a leak that claimed $499 along with the full spec list, though you're right, it hasn't been announced officially, but regardless, that should not be the price point for the nokia tablet. If the retina Nexus 10 can be sold for $399 so can the nokia tablet :)

Bob Shiska

May 13, 2013
Visit site
That's technically true, but 4.0 to 4.1 was a new version, ICS to JB. However, I cannot explain why 4.1 wasn't 5.0 instead. Android, like iOS, now basically releases a new version every year, with more minor updates in between.

There was some optimisation under the hood, but it was not a major release despite the new name. More than a GDR release, less than Mango was.

lancepr

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
And do what? Fight with Samsung and Google owned Motorola in Android space?
I just do not see how that would be a better strategy for them.

Loco5150

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
I didnt read any of the posts, so sorry if this has been pointed out already. Lets say for argument sake that Elop would leave Nokia to become CEO of MS. Lets say Elop would be the main pusher of WP strategy at Nokia (the board holds the ultimate power in the company), and Nokia would be starting to ditch WP or take Android also..... With 80% of WP devices sold being Nokia made, MS would only have one option, they would buy Nokia's devices. Its been discussed in many places and its unavoidable. This is the only option MS would have. I dont think it needs to be debated, unless someone has inside information from MS that they plan to be the world biggest microwave manufacturer in 5 years, and they dont need to be involved in the mobile industry.

EDIT: What I think is not talked about much about Nokia's move to WP, is the fact that if Nokia would have been going to Android. Google would have done everything to kill Nokia Maps and who knows what services. Android was not an option to Nokia anymore, that late in the game. Earlier maybe yes, when Nokia had more power to demand things...

demonp82

May 1, 2013
Visit site
If Elop will become MS CEO, he will destroy it like he already destroyed Nokia. Transforming it from the biggest phone maker to shrinking and fading ghost. It will be the greatest news for Google, Apple and even Blackberry. Not for me or us.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Ye gads, this thread's bad enough on it's own without arguing about the number of updates WP has had. Whether it's 2 or 3 really doesn't matter, it's had more updates than iOS and an equal (or almost equal) amount as Android in the same amount of time. Which means the claims about how slow MS is updating the system are groundless, at least in comparison to the other mobile OSs to which WP8 is often compared.

lipper2000

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
If Elop will become MS CEO, he will destroy it like he already destroyed Nokia. Transforming it from the biggest phone maker to shrinking and fading ghost. It will be the greatest news for Google, Apple and even Blackberry. Not for me or us.

You missed the /s on your comment...

Nokia was in a free fall at least 2 years before Elop went there...Elop is probably one of the only reasons Nokia even exists today

Bob Shiska

May 13, 2013
Visit site
you said updates. NEW THING != UPDATE

I said updates. Not him.

And if you want to call it a new thing, WP just moves ahead instead of being equal with Android. Just bolsters the argument. I'd call it an update, based on the fact that it leveraged the existing UI and app base. By your argument, WP7 is an update to WM6.5 simply because it shares a codebase, despite being different in every other way. But whatever. Still about the same pace as Android.

P O

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
Yeap. Be interesting to see who they get. Nokia is not the problem. Nokia invented the smart phone, hold more patents than anyone; at one time Nokia was 70% of the global phone market top notch hardware, few apps they have also top notch. Under Balmer profits tripled while MS alienated customers with one bombed product after another and MS stock languished. MS needs a CEO not a super salesman with a marketing background like Balmer was. HP tried that route, didn't work out for them either, no coincidence that Balmer And HP'S former CEO rank no 1 and 2 in tech worlds most hated CEO's .Take care of the customer; rest will take are of itself

psudotechzealot

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
Regardless, if Elop becomes the new Microsoft CEO or not. Microsoft & Nokia will merge and become Microkia. So You Android, HTC, and Blackberry fanboys can fight the thought of that happening all you want, It's still going to occur. Whether you like it or not.

Mroofieunblockm

Jul 4, 2013
Visit site
I wish Microsoft would just cut the **** and buy Nokia outright, instead of slinging them just enough cash to stay alive.

Not related, but I think that new tablet they just announced is a non-starter. Its got the same problem as every other Windows RT tablet: price. A good camera will not save it.

lol its not just the camera!!

Mroofieunblockm

Jul 4, 2013
Visit site
I want to see Nokia succeed, but I don't think upscaling a 920 to a tablet and throwing an unpopular OS on it isn't going to do much, imo.

I think the concept of Windows 8 works on phones and tablets well, but RT has introduced a confusing, unnecessary 3rd option into the mix.

I think Microsoft would've done better to allow WP8 to be used on tablets, like iOS. RT was a mistake.

Lol what ?? Rt just nneeds more wp8 and it will be fine go spread ur disinformation some place else

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05