If Elop becomes the new Microsoft CEO will Nokia ditch WP?

mjperry51

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
I would be very surprised if Nokia stays exclusive to WP past their contract, regardless of who is CEO at either company. I think their investors will push them towards Android. Just as Microsoft's investors are pushing out Ballmer. I also think that those same investors will nip any hardware making dreams Microsoft has. At least for a while. Of course I could be wrong, just my guesses on the matters.
I have a different take on this. Nokia has built a their current brand largely on WP. It is a strong differentiators in the market. If they dilute that brand they will create confusion and uncertainty.

If they're smart, MS and Nokia will continue to leverage their respective strengths and their common objectives. If they execute effectively both companies and their customers win; if they don't they can lose.

Why become another Andro-bot and get lost in the maze??

minus365

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
If Elop becomes the new Microsoft CEO, Nokia WOULD BE BOUGHT by Microsoft. I guarantee it.

I have same opinion.

but not sure if this would be approved by chairmans on both sides. both companies need to decide which way to go. would making WP8 as the Nokia exclusiv os and making it next iphone the way to go? probably not, but i am sure lot of questions and quieres need to be addressed at ms and nokia managements.

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
If Elop were to leave it would not change the factors that led Nokia from choosing WP in the first place. There are many reasons why switching, or even selling side-by-side is a very bad move for Nokia.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Why become another Andro-bot and get lost in the maze??

Nokia is a hardware company; they need sheer numbers. Their hardware is top notch, unlike some other Android OEMs. I believe Nokia could make a name for themselves in the Android market. If they captured even 5% of the Android market it would mean higher sales than they have now. And I think they could do a lot better than that.

If they're smart, MS and Nokia will continue to leverage their respective strengths and their common objectives. If they execute effectively both companies and their customers win; if they don't they can lose.

WP is almost 3 years old, and the market share is < 5%. They need to BEGIN to execute effectively!

jlzimmerman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Too many suggestions based on emotion here. Think logically, folks.

Elop has done wonders for Windows phone but that doesn't mean he would be the right fit as Microsoft's CEO even though he has worked for Microsoft in the past. I think some of you need to look outside the WP box and understand that WP is only one sliver of Microsoft's huge line of products and services. Microsoft's reach is incredibly vast and their bucket is very deep. Many analyst suggest it's too deep. IMO, one of the reasons Microsoft takes so long to get anything done is because they have their hands in too many cookie jars.

Elop has done a great job getting Nokia back on course. And it's because of his/their actions that have really kicked the door in for WP. Why make such a risky change that leaves the fate of Microsoft, Nokia, AND WP into a huge gray unknown?

And in regards to Microsoft buying Nokia, bad idea for all parties involved, IMO. Nothing about it makes solid business sense. Also see second paragraph. If this was done there would be zero incentive for other manufacturers to make WP or other devices.
  • Blackberry: Makes their own phone platform and hardware. Result - Almost non-existent
  • Apple: Makes their own phone platform and hardware. Result - Market share down to 30%

Why follow suit?

WinFan1

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
i was listening to a discussion between mary jo foley and paul thurott (however you spell it) and they said satya nadella would be the best choice internally.

gazmatic

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
I'm becoming very tempted to get a Windows Phone but what concerns me is if Elop becomes the new Microsoft CEO then maybe Nokia will ditch WP and go to Android or something else.

What do you think?

I'm just hoping that more and more apps arrive on WP quickly and that the app store continues to grow and get more and more official apps, I just hope that the app growth doesn't just stop.

I believe that WP could give iOS and Android a big run for their money in the next year or two but only if things improve a lot and quickly.

i'm not going to judge you or anything but that is the weirdest conclusion ever.... it would shock me if it happens in real life

remember elop was the driving force of wp on nokia

a while back people were calling him the trojan horse from MS

if he were to go to MS the LAST thing he would do is dump wp... especially not for android... A DIRECT COMPETITOR

no worries man... wp is here to stay...

unless MS makes a mistake and hire the wrong ceo...

i love windows 8, xbox, office and wp.... i wont forgive any ceo that kills either one

Bob Shiska

May 13, 2013
Visit site
Samsung is the only company making a meaningful profit on Android. To switch platforms again would mean spending another billion just to get where they are now with WP. Nevermind any contractual issues or another couple years of disappearing sales because they're abandoning a platform.

They've positioned themselves to be the Samsung of WP. They need the OS to grow to get back to reasonable profitability, but that's a smaller gamble than scuttling their smartphone line for the second time in three years.

Bob Shiska

May 13, 2013
Visit site
Nokia is a hardware company; they need sheer numbers. Their hardware is top notch, unlike some other Android OEMs. I believe Nokia could make a name for themselves in the Android market. If they captured even 5% of the Android market it would mean higher sales than they have now. And I think they could do a lot better than that.
HTC had about 10% of the Android market in 1Q13, and made $2.8million. It's a gamble to stick with WP and assume it will grow, but it's a smaller gamble than trying to play in the Android pool. Samsung has a stranglehold on Android profits.

Samsung grabs 95 percent of Android smartphone profits | Mobile - CNET News!

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
There's no apps or small app library. It's all anyone who ask me about my windows phone can ever say when looking at my phone. It's the lamest argument ever. Yes I have installed apps but is there one I can't live without? Probably only the social ones like gtalk, whatsapp, skype would be missed by me. Stuff I need for communication.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
It's the lamest argument ever.

It totally is. At one point I let myself get swayed by that argument and ditched my WPs to go back to iPhone. You know what I realized? There were maybe 5 apps that I actually used on iOS, and (at that time) the only one not on WP8 was Instagram. So I slapped myself around a bit for being stupid, sold my iPhone, and got another WP. :D

(Also, I find it funny that WP now has MORE Instagram apps - even ones which post pictures - than any other platform. Heh.)

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Only if Stephen Elop is the only person in upper management that is sold on Windows Phone. What are the odds? Yeah, I thought so. Pretty slim.

mjperry51

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
Of course they need sheer numbers; the issue is how to create them.

There are varying strategies for product marketing. Given the fact the a majority of WP users are probably refugees from Android/IOS it's safe to say (based on anecdotal evidence here) they really like the difference. If Nokia jumps into the Android fray (very late) they will have a smaller margin of error for their products. Additionally as has been stated here Android is a fragmented OS -- the base capabilities are provided by Google, but the manufacturers/carriers are left holding the implementation bag. That costs dollars, and drains margins. One of the strengths IOS enjoys is it's singularity. Same for WP. One code base. One set of APIs. Simple is better.

WP is almost 3 years old, and the market share is < 5%. They need to BEGIN to execute effectively!

On that we agree.

vishhh

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I don't know why windows platform takes ages to get new updates ... Honestly i like it all lot and i keep coming back to it only to find how much this platform is missing out compared to ios and android

Bob Shiska

May 13, 2013
Visit site
I don't know why windows platform takes ages to get new updates ... Honestly i like it all lot and i keep coming back to it only to find how much this platform is missing out compared to ios and android

I really don't understand this complaint. It's going to be two years between Android 4.0 and 5.0. The differences between 2.0 and 2.3 (14 months) and 4.0 to 4.3 (21 months) are less signifcant than 7 to 7.5 and likely 8 to 8.1. iOS releases essentially once per year. Yes, they need to catch up with Android and iOS in some areas and so matching pace isn't sufficient, but it's not like it's the days of WinMo anymore. WP8 was a complete rewrite of the OS, with a decent amount of under the hood work done for GDR2 and GDR3.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylormcintire