More GDR3 Features

Bob Shiska

May 13, 2013
Visit site
I wouldn't be surprised if GDR3 becomes more and more feature packed. While it was initially just a hardware-enabling release (more chipsets and resolutions, I'm not so sure it's about the number of threads as much as it is the specific drivers for the Snapdragon 800,) there was a story somewhere about how with the delay of WP8.1 MSFT was looking to back port features that would be ready from WP8.1 to GDR3. So if a feature is ready and doesn't require other stuff from 8.1, it will make its way into GDR3. MSFT probably won't have the full list themselves until it RTMs.

grizzlyaddams

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
If they add seperate volume controls for different apps or audio sources I sincerely hope they make it optional. After using so many Android and iOS devices, it's very refreshing to have a volume control that predictably controls the volume of my phone.

Edit: In fact, through what official channel can I provide this feedback to Microsoft?

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
If they add seperate volume controls for different apps or audio sources I sincerely hope they make it optional. After using so many Android and iOS devices, it's very refreshing to have a volume control that predictably controls the volume of my phone.

Edit: In fact, through what official channel can I provide this feedback to Microsoft?

you are VASTLY outnumbered. It is the #1 or #2 requested feature on the answers site.

Bob Shiska

May 13, 2013
Visit site
you are VASTLY outnumbered. It is the #1 or #2 requested feature on the answers site.

Nothing wrong with having it optional, though. I don't want to be listening to music on headphones at an 8 and then go to youtube, and have it blast me at 30 because the last time I watched something I wasn't using headphones.

Moiz Mian

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Nothing wrong with having it optional, though. I don't want to be listening to music on headphones at an 8 and then go to youtube, and have it blast me at 30 because the last time I watched something I wasn't using headphones.

Haha, seriously! I'm not sure how android and iOS work, but have you used a surface pro before? (Could be a windows 8 thing as well) But it remembers a separate volume for headphones and for speakers. So if it's at 80 for speakers, it'll drop to 20 when you plug in headphones. Hopefully they will implement it the same way

enthuz

Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
Haha, seriously! I'm not sure how android and iOS work, but have you used a surface pro before? (Could be a windows 8 thing as well) But it remembers a separate volume for headphones and for speakers. So if it's at 80 for speakers, it'll drop to 20 when you plug in headphones. Hopefully they will implement it the same way

That is how my android works.

Sent from my PG86100 using WPCentral Forums mobile app

Samst22

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I'd be so surprised if GDR3 brings notification system and independent volume control along with all the other new features (orientation lock, 1080p, quadcore support, new live tile layouts). I would have thought they would have kept those two features for 8.1. Unless GDR3 is 8.1. Now that would be an epic twist.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
You think it's 5 lines of code or something? Probably goes along with the notification center as a new notification system, which means WP8.1.

Maybe 6 lines of code. :smile: It can't be THAT hard. It exists right now for ringtones.. just drop a song in the ringtones folder on your phone and BAM, custom tones. All you need is a notification folder that you drop sounds into and problem fixed.

Now.. if it is a major overhaul and we end up with someting like iOS and Android where push notifictions can actually contain their own custom sounds (think the ESPN tone when you get a Sportscenter update) then yeah we might not get it yet.

Bob Shiska

May 13, 2013
Visit site
I'd be so surprised if GDR3 brings notification system and independent volume control along with all the other new features (orientation lock, 1080p, quadcore support, new live tile layouts). I would have thought they would have kept those two features for 8.1. Unless GDR3 is 8.1. Now that would be an epic twist.

Notification system isn't going to make the cut, it's too late.

The intent of GDR1 was a few tweaks that just missed the cut for WP8. GDR2 enables Snapdragon 400 support, potentially 2GB RAM, and probably some more stuff under the hood that enables some of the Amber tweaks. A few features, too, but primarily hardware stuff. Original intent was GDR3 was Snapdragon 600/800 and higher resolution, and then WP8.1 covers the software side. It's not like new hardware needs to wait for WP8.1, anything hardware driven is enabled in GDR3.

So, keeping this in mind, there's no real reason to hold back features for WP8.1. It's not like Nokia's going to hold back on releasing the 930 because of WP8.1, they'll just release it on GDR3 and then update. Only impact keeping stuff in WP8.1 has is having a less fully featured OS between the release of GDR3 and WP8.1, which isn't something anyone wants (other than GOOG and AAPL.) As long as it won't delay GDR3, it goes in. As soon as WP8.1 got pushed back from the original intent of October this year, the scope of GDR3 increased. Independant volume controls are ready, so they're in. Notification center isn't ready, waits for WP8.1.

The orientation lock was another thing probably originally intended for 8.1 that got moved up.

Bob Shiska

May 13, 2013
Visit site
Maybe 6 lines of code. :smile: It can't be THAT hard. It exists right now for ringtones.. just drop a song in the ringtones folder on your phone and BAM, custom tones. All you need is a notification folder that you drop sounds into and problem fixed.

Now.. if it is a major overhaul and we end up with someting like iOS and Android where push notifictions can actually contain their own custom sounds (think the ESPN tone when you get a Sportscenter update) then yeah we might not get it yet.

Custom tones for different people, probably not that hard. But as a unified change to notifications? Hard. If you take the broader view of any system event driving some sort of notification, then you want to have one process handling everything. Text comes in, push notification comes in, email comes in, whatever. All goes into one streamlined process, leaving fewer idled tasks. It's a blow up of that notification handling system, and if you know you're going to change it anyways in a much more significant way three months down the line, you don't update that module for a much smaller tweak and waste resources developing something like that when they can be better used making sure the whole of WP8.1 ships on time.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
I would love custom text message tones for individual contacts. Far as I know nobody does that natively. Android has 3rd party apps like LightFlow that let you do stuff like that, but it can lead to phone instability. The GS3 had issues originally because Samsung changed the way they control the LED or something like that.

I would love, love, love that feature.

Nesdam1981

Aug 18, 2013
Visit site

If it is something like Android and iOS you won't ave that problem. The categories on the volume system on android are
1) Apps
2) Games
3) System (notifications and ringtones etc)
4) Alarm

This means setting your music volume to 8 (app volume) will also set YouTube to 8... Easy peasy.

Ultimateone

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
I would love custom text message tones for individual contacts. Far as I know nobody does that natively. Android has 3rd party apps like LightFlow that let you do stuff like that, but it can lead to phone instability. The GS3 had issues originally because Samsung changed the way they control the LED or something like that.

I would love, love, love that feature.
ios has done it for years

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss