Is it necessary to restart WP8 in a day or two?

uopjo6

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
Once a week is fine. I wouldn't mind every other day either since rebooting WP is really fast.

Or whenever I feel the signal is stuck and draining battery.

SanjitVignesh

Apr 18, 2013
Visit site
LOL! Seriously!

I actually find it not necessary to restart the phone manually at all. WP never keeps any background processes running like in Android. Only background tasks are present which don't take up much RAM (but drain battery).

So in case any graphic heavy apps are used or if the phone seems to lag, my phone automatically restarts. I don't have to press any button for it.

hsn97

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
I actually find it not necessary to restart the phone manually at all. WP never keeps any background processes running like in Android. Only background tasks are present which don't take up much RAM (but drain battery).

So in case any graphic heavy apps are used or if the phone seems to lag, my phone automatically restarts. I don't have to press any button for it.

Man that's not good, it happens with me on my Lumia 620 as well, it seems to be a software bug as i've talked to other guys on the forum.

SanjitVignesh

Apr 18, 2013
Visit site
Man that's not good, it happens with me on my Lumia 620 as well, it seems to be a software bug as i've talked to other guys on the forum.

Well, I can live with it. The OS is at a premature stage now and I think this is expected. At least, it's not as bad as on my previous Android phone where, if it freezes, I'll have to pop out the battery to restart the phone.

MacDaMachine

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
I've never had my phone reset itself. I have reset my phone a handful of times in the 9 months I've owned my Lumia 920.

Dont know what y'all be doing lol.

TechAbstract

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
I just leave it running for months like on my iPhone. Only reboot when I have to. If everything is working and smooth, there is no point to reboot.

MacDaMachine

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
We're talking about 'restarting' not resetting. Just a basic turning off and turning it back on.

Yea I was talking about the same thing. Soft reset (vol + power) or just plain old powering down.

I haven't done it much at all, and my phone has never done it on it own.

CopaCC

May 26, 2013
Visit site
The one time I did the "Volume-down and Power button" trick, my live tiles wouldn't update until I powered it down with just the Power button and the restarted it-

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk 4

jbjtkbw007

Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
My Blackberry Storm ALWAYS needed multiple battery pulls/restarts. All of my android phones? Battery pulls and regular restarts. My Nokia Lumia 920? I restart once every 1-2 weeks just to help it out. It's not a requirement anymore, but it's my phone and I just want to keep it running in tip top shape. I think every electronic device should be powered off on occasion. My fiance has to power cycle her iPhone 4 all the time to clear up problems. I tell her she should do it as maintenance.

She's sick of it anyways.

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
You can occasionally restart it if it feels sluggish.

It should only feel sluggish on start-up, while the apps and system resources are still loading.
Well, or if you're having issues with your phone.

I've had my phone reboot while I was using it at least half a dozen times since I bought it.

Shawn Magm

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
I've had my 520 (AT&T) for a little more than a month. So far, it's been very stable, and I haven't had to restart it due to sluggishness or battery drain. I have had one random reboot while in an app (I can't remember) where the app crashed and the phone restarted. I've been impressed with this aspect of WP8 and the phone hardware.

My SG3 had to be started daily when I came home from work because of battery drain. My wife's iPhone 4 has also been very stable, and never had to restart for the 10 months that she's had the phone. My iPhone 3G, although slow, never had to be restarted.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EyeTea