Email mess

rpm1984

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
So I am trying to figure out how in the world to send emails to a couple different groups of people. Each group is over 25 people. I send these emails frequently and usually it is for the purpose of quick announcements or last minute changes.......meaning I have to be able to do so from my phone not only my pc. This is such a simple task. Millions of business and service users do this everyday. Yet there is no way to do so from a windows phone without manually selecting each person every time. That is unacceptable. I have had two friends and co-workers switch to WP8 only to return them because of this lack of a very simple feature. Who would have thought emailing and texting from a smartphone would be so complicated. I do not see how any business would be able to pick up windows phone without this feature. I don't see people screaming at Microsoft about this though. Therefore, I presume I am an ***** and just don't know how to figure this out.

My question is then how do I accomplish this simple task from my otherwise amazing WP8 device? Please someone help me!

androidtoWM

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Another thing that has annoyed me is that the mail app does not respect the 'reply-to' field.

if you get an email from a generic email address with a 'reply-to' address that's different from the from address, email app still sends the email to the 'from' address and not to the 'reply-to' address.

mpt15

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
So I am trying to figure out how in the world to send emails to a couple different groups of people. Each group is over 25 people. I send these emails frequently and usually it is for the purpose of quick announcements or last minute changes.......meaning I have to be able to do so from my phone not only my pc. This is such a simple task. Millions of business and service users do this everyday. Yet there is no way to do so from a windows phone without manually selecting each person every time. That is unacceptable. I have had two friends and co-workers switch to WP8 only to return them because of this lack of a very simple feature. Who would have thought emailing and texting from a smartphone would be so complicated. I do not see how any business would be able to pick up windows phone without this feature. I don't see people screaming at Microsoft about this though. Therefore, I presume I am an ***** and just don't know how to figure this out.

My question is then how do I accomplish this simple task from my otherwise amazing WP8 device? Please someone help me!

in the people hub, create a group of such people. I think there is a limit of 20 people per group, so for your 25 people, create 2 groups.
Then when you want to send out a mail to the group, in the 'To' type out the name of the group.

hcrick

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
I send out emails and texts to groups all the time. Just create and name a a group and use the group name in the "to" field.

rpm1984

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
in the people hub, create a group of such people. I think there is a limit of 20 people per group, so for your 25 people, create 2 groups.
Then when you want to send out a mail to the group, in the 'To' type out the name of the group.

Thank you, however, my question says over 25. One of the groups is about 160 people. That would be 7 groups...............then when anyone comes and goes from that group I have to go find them and delete them and or add a new person in the correct group (if you did it alphabetically) and then if you had to add one more say B name but had no more space left in that group then your whole system is wrecked. That is a work around I have tried lol. That is not a solution for my problem but may help others. Thanks again

rpm1984

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
I send out emails and texts to groups all the time. Just create and name a a group and use the group name in the "to" field.

Please read the original post.............you can only have 25 people in a group.................I need to put 160 in one.

rpm1984

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
I guess you can make 8 groups. Its cumbersome the first time, but it works

For the reasons I stated above that does not solve the problem only creates a whole series of other ones

Not to mention all of those groups would then sync with my pc where I do not need them.

mpt15

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
For the reasons I stated above that does not solve the problem only creates a whole series of other ones

Not to mention all of those groups would then sync with my pc where I do not need them.

what problems would it cause other than singing with your pc? Your contacts are synced anyway, its just the grouping which is added.

gapost

Dec 1, 2004
Visit site
You can't send an email out to that many people at one time with windows phone. You may be able to do it with Office365 and if you do it frequently, it may be worth the cost.

rpm1984

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
@mpt15

Thank you, however, my question says over 25. One of the groups is about 160 people. That would be 7 groups...............then when anyone comes and goes from that group I have to go find them and delete them and or add a new person in the correct group (if you did it alphabetically) and then if you had to add one more say B name but had no more space left in that group then your whole system is wrecked. That is a work around I have tried lol. That is not a solution for my problem but may help others. Thanks again

I guess I could make 26 groups..........you know a,b,c,d,e,f,g,h...................lol

rpm1984

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
You can't send an email out to that many people at one time with windows phone. You may be able to do it with Office365 and if you do it frequently, it may be worth the cost.

Gotcha I pay a prescription every month for Office now I think that is office 365 right? I am confused about the difference between Office and Office 365. Can I use office 365 to send out that many emails from my phone?

gapost

Dec 1, 2004
Visit site
There is an option to create groups in Office 365. Look at the website under People, when you are logged in. Go to New and create Group and let us know if you can add 160 people. If you don't have your contacts in there, you may need to import them so you can add them.

rpm1984

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
There is an option to create groups in Office 365. Look at the website under People, when you are logged in. Go to New and create Group and let us know if you can add 160 people. If you don't have your contacts in there, you may need to import them so you can add them.

Ok I did this if what you are talking about is the same as outlook.com. I have added like 40 people so well beyond the 25.......that group syncs with my phone and all of those contacts are in that group on my phone. However, it will not let me do anything with that group (text, email, or even see whats new) until I reduce the number to twenty five. So what you are saying is........................I could log onto outlook.com compose and send the email from there? Outlook.com should let me send to the whole group?

rpm1984

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site

gapost I don't know you but I love you!!!!!!!!! This worked I just tried it and I just sent out a test email from my phone logged into outlook.com. I sent out more than the 25 limit........not sure how many and they all sent.

I just went to outlook and opened a new blank email with the group I want in the "to" box and then pinned it to my start page. Now if I want to send out a mass email I just hit that icon it takes me right there and I do it.............simple done overwith. I knew I must just be an ***** and couldn't figure it out lol. Thanks so much

Funky Cricket

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
It's called a distribution group, who ever manages your business email can show you how to create one. This isn't a limit of the phone, it would some something you create on the email side.

side note: It's this kind of silliness that drives me nuts as an IT professional by the way. If you need to send an email to 160 people, then there is a process that needs to change. That's called SPAM.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
This is certainly a case of using the wrong tool for the job.

It's called a distribution group, who ever manages your business email can show you how to create one ... it would some something you create on the email side.

This, exactly. Create a distribution list on your email server, and email the distribution list from your phone.

Doohickie

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
side note: It's this kind of silliness that drives me nuts as an IT professional by the way. If you need to send an email to 160 people, then there is a process that needs to change. That's called SPAM.

Oh come on. I can think of legitimate reasons to send an email to 160 people.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnwilliam9750