Reg hack to control monitor off time in Windows 8.1

Richard Sargeant

Mar 27, 2013
Visit site
Are you also annoyed that the monitor of your 8.1 PC is switched off so quickly after the console is locked? It?s done I guess to maximise battery life by powering off the display but I?d trade lower battery life for convenience. And currently, that same setting kicks in even if the AC adapter is attached and battery capacity is not an issue or if yours is a desktop PC.
Here?s a registry hack that adds settings to give more control over that. The hack switches on the display of an extra control in Control Panel, Power Options. It works with all 8.1 versions, including Surface PRO and RT.

Firstly, start Control Panel and navigate to ?Power Options?. Select ?Change plan settings?, then ?Change advanced power plan settings?. Scroll down to ?Display? and expand by clicking the plus sign. Note there are only 2 settings available and no ?Console lock display off time-out.? setting is displayed. Click cancel and leave Control Panel open.

Start REGEDIT and drill down to:
HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\PowerSettings. Open the key 7516b95f-f776-4464-8c53-06167f40cc99 and its subkey 8EC4B3A5-6868-48c2-BE75-4F3044BE88A7. Look for the DWORD value named ?Attributes?, which has a value of 1. This controls a value named ?Console lock display off timeout?. The value 1 means this control is not exposed in the GUI. Change the value 1 to 2. Close Regedit.

Go back to Control Panel and again select ?Change advanced power plan settings?. Scroll down to ?Display? and expand by clicking the plus sign. Note there are now 3 settings available including ?Console lock display off time-out.? On my system, this was initially set to 1 minute, so the display was switched off just one minute after the screen locked kicked in. Change this to a number of minutes more to your liking.

If you need to revert, just change back to the 1 minute value that was originally set.

Enjoy!

RS

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
I'm sure that lot's of people will find this information useful. I know when I get a tablet I will... thanks!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb