Other Storage (Yes, again I know, but...)

grizzlyaddams

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
I know this is another "Other Storage" thread but my question is pretty specific:

Had 1.2gb free on my 8gb HTX 8XT (GDR2). My other storage was hovering comfortably around 1.3gb. Not terrible, and definitely not inflating.

Halo: SA update comes out yesterday, try to install the update, but there wasn't enough room. The install failed and the temp files have not been released (despite having GDR2).

So now I have 40mb left on my phone. The HTC "Make More Space" app identifies 900+mb of the "Other Storage" as temporary files and says "Tap here to schedule temp file removal" so despite having done this multiple times last night and this morning it has not happened yet. My question being, how does this app work, and when will that temp space be freed up? Will uninstalling Halo: SA also release the associated temp files?

I am absolutely loving my Windows Phone. There are some minor details I am not in love with, but this particular problem could be a dealbreaker. I've had to deal with "Other" storage on Apple, but it's handled pretty badly on Windows Phone. I cannot fathom having to hard reset because I've only had the phone for a few weeks (outside the 14 day return unfortunately) and just got it all configured to my liking.

Doohickie

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
Try the Shrink Storage app. I'm not sure if it will work, but it's worth a try. I've used it and it seems to squeeze a little bit out. I'm sitting at about 1.3 Other as well, and it usually knocks a few MB out when I use it, I assume it's squeezing out temp files.

grizzlyaddams

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
Try the Shrink Storage app. I'm not sure if it will work, but it's worth a try. I've used it and it seems to squeeze a little bit out. I'm sitting at about 1.3 Other as well, and it usually knocks a few MB out when I use it, I assume it's squeezing out temp files.

I tried both Shrink Storage and Storage Cleaner and only freed up about 100mb. I subsequently tried to re-install the Halo:SA Update, hoping that if I let it try and fail on it's own it would remove the temp files. Needless to say that did not happen.

mjperry51

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
Another option might be to wait it out.

I've read that the improved Other Storage handling takes a couple of days to clear things out. . . .

Might beat an immediate Hard Reset. . .

grizzlyaddams

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
Hard reset seems like the final option.

I had my iPhone for 2 years and several Androids before that... The only time I was ever forced to hard reset my phone (not that I hadn't done it by choice) to resolve an issue, was when a Best Buy employee reset some settings in my jailbroken iPhone after I did a line swap and caused my cellular data to entirely stop working. Caused me to permanently lose my jailbreak because in order to hard reset I had to update the firmware to a version without an untethered solution.

I've had this Windows Phone for just a few weeks! This is an early adopter issue at best except these phone have been around for years. Pitiful and discouraging. I had read all about these other storage issues before purchasing the phone but my confidence was bouyed by the inclusion of GDR2 on the device I chose.

With that said, does anyone actually have any idea when the "scheduled" temp cleanup is supposed to occur?

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
What is taking up the space on your device and can some of that be put into cloud storage? That is about your only option as with such little room on your device you will have this issue again.

grizzlyaddams

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
Another option might be to wait it out.

I've read that the improved Other Storage handling takes a couple of days to clear things out. . . .

Might beat an immediate Hard Reset. . .

Thanks, this was also my assumption, and I planned to wait until at least the weekend when I had more time to fiddle with the thing. But, really? Days? In the meantime I cannot install even smaller apps (I had come to terms with the selection of larger games I chose to have installed but left the 1gb free for smaller things) and the phone has become slower and unresponsive when opening things like messaging or e-mail with so little free space...

I don't want to sound like a Negative Nelly because I really do love Windows Phone, mostly for it's uniqueness. But I also loved my Palm Pre, and well... I guess people really do want things that just work.

Is there any way to root Windows Phone and manually modify the file system?

Hypnopottamus

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
There was an article on WP Central explaining how to get storage back. Try going into settings and changing the date to at LEAST 2 weeks from now. Restart your device and then try Storage check and/or Shrink Storage.

grizzlyaddams

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
What is taking up the space on your device and can some of that be put into cloud storage? That is about your only option as with such little room on your device you will have this issue again.

The entirety of my used space is apps, other, and system. Media (audio, video, movies) are all on an SD card.

grizzlyaddams

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
The time skip-ahead trick did not work. I ended up uninstalling the majority of my apps. Doing so took a small peice of "Other" data with each uninstall. I was able to reinstally all the things I had before but am still somehow about 600mb shy of where I started.

And unfortunately, (I'm not sure how related this is) since I installed and SD card and loaded it with Music, the phone has been acting sluggish, and at times downright locking up for 5+ seconds. Today I had an instance where I could not enter my unlock pin. It did not respond to any presses, would eventually display I had entered 1 numeral, and then lock up again for nearly 10 seconds at a time...

mikey2toes

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
I have the same issue. I tried shrink storage but it only removed a little bit of storage. I was at 1.98 gb of other now in at 2.50 gb. This is a joke and needs to be addressed asap. I may have to do a hard reset which might sort things out.

mark nt

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Have you tryed deleting internet browser history and clearing old txt and phone history, it seemed to work for me in removing some of the other storage

Carkid367

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
I have the same issue. I installed the modern combat trial on my 8xt and now I have a gig of temporary files that will not go away. I deleted the app, tried the storage cleaners, including the HTC one, but none work. My last option is to do a reset myself, but I'm pushing it off.

FricoRico

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
I've failed my update twice now, losing up to at least 1.5GB. I can't go hard resetting my phone, this is ridiculous, I was also updating my Halo to the latest version. On the second attempt (after uninstalling many games) I thought I nailed it with 750MB of free space (as it requires 716MB), download was fine, but during install it failed on too low space.

I'm so ******* pissed, I at least hoped it would either clear the entire cache, or notice there is a downloaded version somewhere. But the damn idiots just leave their **** all over my phone, now I can't use it anymore until they fix it.. All I can do is try to keep cleaning so I can at least use WhatsApp and text messages..

sidewinder11

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
It is pretty annoying that ms has had nearly a year to fix some of these problems, but seems unwilling/unable to do so. Gdr2 supposedly fixes the issue but I've not noticed any difference.

killakiloz

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site
Just did a hard reset in my phone today. Have an HTC 8x. I also was trying to update Spartan assault, when I was notified i was low on storage. Must have deleted 15 full albums, a few apps, and tons of pics, and tried again only to be met with low storage again. I figure deleting all that stuff should have at least netted me close to a gig of space, when i went and checked, i had 32 kb of space left. How in the blazing hell is that even remotely possible? Todays hard reset was my third. MS THIS NEEDS TO BE ADRESSED, no matter how kick *** this OS is, this issue cripples the platform. When i tell my friends who own an iPhone or nexus this story, they laugh in my face. Come on Microsoft

killakiloz

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site
Also on a side note, after the hard reset, and a clean install not using a backup, I installed a few apps. 6tag, Facebook, twitter, and yes halo again. Only doing that, other storage was already at 700mb.....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss