Bottom Line on Increased Battery Consumption

deadwrong03

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
"Hidden in Plain Sight Forehead Slapping Update":

Before Amber, I had deleted many of the built in apps. It never occurred to me that they were back and running.

Based on someone's comments in a related thread, I went to Settings, then sideways to Applications, where there is Background Tasks.

I was astounded at how many apps were running back there. Games, which I never, ever care about. Gas Buddy, I installed it once, tested, and there it was still running two weeks later. For each app that I didn't want running, I opted for "Block". You can still start up and use your app, it just won't run it in the background after you close it. I also stopped the Live Tile for CNN, it's so slow world peace could break out before it flips again.

I reset my battery monitor, and after a few hours, my consumption is....................1.06% per hour!!!!

So, run your Glance (mine is set for 24 hrs a day) and your Triple Tap, but turn off those background apps!

how did u reset ur battery monitor? I'm getting a 20% discharge rate I only have 3 apps running in the background and signed into Skype I get roughly 3-5 hours with moderate to heavy usahge and that's with or without being logged into Skype

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 928 using Tapatalk

Ferazzz

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
Wish I can also figure out if my Lumia 1020 is defective or that's just the way it works. On idle it seems okay and discharge rate is normal wIth glance turned on. I,use peek. What really bothers me about my,device is when I actually begin using it moderately the battery just discharges so much fast than my 920 its,scary. I can take a couple if pictures and send a couple of texts and in 6-7 min of usage be down already 5-7%. Jesus man is that normal to you guys.
Brightness on auto
5 background tasks (2 less than my 920)
Location off
Screen time out at 30sec
Emails are in push mode
Double tap to wake off
Glance mode on in peek

Paul Verizzo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
how did u reset ur battery monitor? I'm getting a 20% discharge rate I only have 3 apps running in the background and signed into Skype I get roughly 3-5 hours with moderate to heavy usahge and that's with or without being logged into Skype

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 928 using Tapatalk

You have to move from the graphical screen to the text data? screen. And there, you can reset.

chmun77

May 27, 2011
Visit site
Does the battery monitor apps really help to monitor the battery or they are draining the battery more instead? I really have doubts about all these battery apps. In the first place, they are already listed as background apps and this will sure to add to the load of the battery even if it is only 30mins intervals, no?

Boris Lozac

Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
I'm not sure anymore, it seems you can't breathe at the same time as looking at the screen with this damn OS. I'm tired of figuring out what's going on. This is just stupid now. I've kept Battery Sense cause it alerts you when the drain happens, but i can't hear it at night, when the most of my random discharges happen.

Paul Verizzo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
Does the battery monitor apps really help to monitor the battery or they are draining the battery more instead? I really have doubts about all these battery apps. In the first place, they are already listed as background apps and this will sure to add to the load of the battery even if it is only 30mins intervals, no?

Your are correct, of course. But it isn't a major power player like wifi or GPS. Without a battery app, your only other option would be to make changes, charge fully, unplug, and wait for the battery to depete all while on standby. The apps monitor continously. Make a two minute phone call and the graph will show a downturn.

chmun77

May 27, 2011
Visit site
Your are correct, of course. But it isn't a major power player like wifi or GPS. Without a battery app, your only other option would be to make changes, charge fully, unplug, and wait for the battery to depete all while on standby. The apps monitor continously. Make a two minute phone call and the graph will show a downturn.

I think is really up to individuals. For myself, I prefer not to stress myself by monitoring the battery level so much. The battery level info from the Setting page is more than enough to know how much standby power left for me to use. Should you are concerned, turn on the power saving mode and it will warn you when reaching 30%? I will not allow the battery to get depleted totally as it will actually hurt the battery more.

fdruid

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
I just gave Glance (peek) a chance this weekend. Non-monitored consumption appeared pretty much the same in regular use.

Now, with it turned on, I charged it, then left it with both wifi and mobile data off. This was late at night. Then the next morning I had 81% battery.
This hadn't never happened to me without Glance on.

I turned it off again and I set the brightness to Low which is actually a lot more brighter than I had thought, so it's fine for me.

Paul Verizzo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
I will not allow the battery to get depleted totally as it will actually hurt the battery more.

Not true. In fact, going to zero helps the thing. A nicad, NMH, or lithion battery without a controlling chip can actually go negative discharge slightly. I.e., the polarity reverses. But with the chip like all lithions HAVE to have, they will never get to that point. Lithions have to have a chip because they cannot be trusted, I'll call it, with either constant voltage or constant current charges, like everything before them.

In fact, when I've done a "drain to zero" I let the phone sit five minutes, off, and turn it on again. Just like your almost dead car battery finding a few more cranks after resting, so will your lithion. When it shuts off this time, charge it up. Rinse, lather, repeat two more times.

OzRob

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
Not true. In fact, going to zero helps the thing. A nicad, NMH, or lithion battery without a controlling chip can actually go negative discharge slightly. I.e., the polarity reverses. But with the chip like all lithions HAVE to have, they will never get to that point. Lithions have to have a chip because they cannot be trusted, I'll call it, with either constant voltage or constant current charges, like everything before them.

In fact, when I've done a "drain to zero" I let the phone sit five minutes, off, and turn it on again. Just like your almost dead car battery finding a few more cranks after resting, so will your lithion. When it shuts off this time, charge it up. Rinse, lather, repeat two more times.

That is sooo wrong! Lithium Ion or Lithium Polymer batteries cannot be drained to zero charge, and should never be. This will damage the battery. Li-Ion and Li-Poly batteries are best recharged before they get below about 25%-30% of their charge capacity. So when your phone automatically switches itself off because the battery is low, you should NEVER switch it on again to force that little bit of charge out. IT WILL DAMAGE YOU BATTERY.

Please get your facts straight before telling people to do things that will damage their phones.

Ferazzz

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
That is sooo wrong! Lithium Ion or Lithium Polymer batteries cannot be drained to zero charge, and should never be. This will damage the battery. Li-Ion and Li-Poly batteries are best recharged before they get below about 25%-30% of their charge capacity. So when your phone automatically switches itself off because the battery is low, you should NEVER switch it on again to force that little bit of charge out. IT WILL DAMAGE YOU BATTERY.

Please get your facts straight before telling people to do things that will damage their phones.

this

Paul Verizzo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site

It's only wrong if there is no controller chip in the system! And every lithion has a controller chip for the reasons I've said. And please don't tell me that all my laptop and cell phone batteries have been destroyed. Quite the opposite. Nothing like real world experience vs. nattering nabobs of negativity. (Thank you Spiro Agnew.) Every nicad, NMH, and lithion battery that I've put this drill on has gained capacity. Not exactly destroying them, is it?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb