Do people really use People Hub? It is annoying especially with facebook

marcomura

May 28, 2013
Visit site
@newarcticman
I don't use it, right because the issues you pointed out.

This kind of things annoys me more than not having them at all.

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
I use for basic things like reading new feeds or posting. Very very basic.

The Facebook messaging hub however suck, you may get the initial chat message but after it will stop and won't know you got a new message until you open the fb app.

RyanR47

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
I use the people hub just to glance through my news feeds, however I don't use the Facebook chat feature in the messaging hub at all; totally unreliable. That being said the messaging in the official Facebook app by Microsoft is atrociously SLOW!

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I've read every post here and I'm a bit confused. No other OS, mobile or desktop, offers in their contacts application what the People Hub does. The closest was Moto's Blur abortion and that was a separate widget to show the latest info from your contact's social networking status. The People Hub is an improvement to webOS's Synergy as far as social network integration with your contacts. That's it.

People Hub got game, who next?

diktea

May 6, 2013
Visit site
The Facebook messaging hub however suck, you may get the initial chat message but after it will stop and won't know you got a new message until you open the fb app.

These days surprisingly after i update to GDR2/Amber it works quite well 95% its working.... i hardly miss any message (aftter using the GDR2 update its been at least two weeks - i might have missed 2-3 msgs in all... otherwise all chat msgs were coming to the hub properly and can truely chat on with it).

newarcticman

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
Guys, thanks for all the input.

while I agree that some extra features are Facebook specified and I mixed up People Hub and Message hub.

All right, and please correct me if there are any solutions. Let me repeat, the following two points are just too important to ignore.

- Historical message from Facebook is not fetched. (All historical messages from FB are not fetched to the phone until the day I start using the phone. )
** More importantly, whenever I use the desktop version Facebook (Facebook.com), the messages that I write there, will never appear in the message HUB.

See this is extremely important, you want people to have a centralized location for normal SMS and FB message, GREAT Idea! but just because I write my FB message on FB and you dont show my own message that I write, how can I follow the whole conversation, eventually I will have to go to facebook, check my own message. WHAT"S THE POINT may I ask?

I might sound critical, but no, I am not, it's a real World, others wont care if it's FB problem, they will just think, for the same amount of money, I can do this in IOS or Android, why should I take an extra step. I do love WP8, but these are some important things!

And lets us not forget that We, (Nokia or Microsoft) is playing a catch up, towards Android and IOS, if we dont offer something better, it's even harder to convince the other to switch.

Francoenlanoche

Mar 27, 2013
Visit site
You should check my twitter acoount with the same name that i have here, they ended up saying that is on facebook side, we need coverage from wpcentral, this is the reason why im considering going back with ios, and im sure im not alone

newarcticman

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
Hey Francoenlanoche, I checked your twitter account, there was no solution? Or have I missed something?

I think you posted somewhere else that you found a solution, though a bit tricky? IF yes, can you please share?

Well but I am not going to switch just because of this. When I was with Android, I just use the Messenger App. I can do the same here with WIndows too. I love my Nokia Camera!

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
All right, and please correct me if there are any solutions.

You are correct, there are no solutions for those two issues. That's the way that it works. The People/Messaging hub is used to "kick off" conversations with your contacts, not act as a complete FB messaging solution; the FB integration in Windows Phone is a subset of FB, and just like OneNote and Office, it relies on the user accessing the full version (i.e. the FB web site or dedicated app) for full functionality.

WHAT"S THE POINT may I ask?

For you, there isn't one. FB integration is not a solution for you, For others, there is; not everyone uses FB or their phone the same way you do. I don't use FB messaging *at all*, so I don't even have it on and that's perfect. A buddy of mine uses it as it's intended and only uses FB messaging on the phone to converse when he's on the go; he falls back on the website for everything else (where he's got a full keyboard and screen).

But yeah, for you? Obviously, it's not a fit.

Francoenlanoche

Mar 27, 2013
Visit site
Hey, they fixed the problem the first time and they were very helpful, the second time they just throw away the problem saying that now is on facebook side to find a solution. I love my lumia 920 and the camera is the best thing i have found, i don't want to change, but here where I live all my friends use facebook chat, even more than whatsapp, so i miss the simplicity on iOS. I use ICQ for now but lately its been failing, not in a big way but i cant say is reliable all the time. So the short answer is no, they didn't gave me a solution the last time so lets hope for Daniel Rubino, Sam Sabri or Acevedo to take this issue into the next level, i'm sure i'm not the only one bothered by this problem, because i know a lot of people that dont care about having a beautifil OS, but instead they want a reliable and easy way to communicate, lots of people are not seeking all the time in the app store for a replacement, but instead, like my sister in law, says that windows phone sucks and says: OMG I WANT AN IPHONE 5 (imagine the most annoying voice out there).

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Hey, they fixed the problem the first time and they were very helpful, the second time they just throw away the problem saying that now is on facebook side to find a solution. I love my lumia 920 and the camera is the best thing i have found, i don't want to change, but here where I live all my friends use facebook chat, even more than whatsapp, so i miss the simplicity on iOS. I use ICQ for now but lately its been failing, not in a big way but i cant say is reliable all the time. So the short answer is no, they didn't gave me a solution the last time so lets hope for Daniel Rubino, Sam Sabri or Acevedo to take this issue into the next level, i'm sure i'm not the only one bothered by this problem, because i know a lot of people that dont care about having a beautifil OS, but instead they want a reliable and easy way to communicate, lots of people are not seeking all the time in the app store for a replacement, but instead, like my sister in law, says that windows phone sucks and says: OMG I WANT AN IPHONE 5 (imagine the most annoying voice out there).

Is your sister-in-law a redhead? Sounds like my ex-wife.

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
These days surprisingly after i update to GDR2/Amber it works quite well 95% its working.... i hardly miss any message (aftter using the GDR2 update its been at least two weeks - i might have missed 2-3 msgs in all... otherwise all chat msgs were coming to the hub properly and can truely chat on with it).

Should be seeing all . That is the point. Don't have a feature that is half assed.
this is a ongoing problem going back to wp7.

RobinPaul

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
Well, I don't know, but my Messaging Hub has been working perfectly now with the Facebook Chat, I receive / reply all messages fine now. For me it got fixed :)

gazmatic

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
I don't see the big quarrel with the people hub

its the best feature on windows phone

you can link a contacts gmail, linkedin, Hotmail, Skype, facebook, yahoo and twitter all in one place

what else do you really need?

if you want FULL facebook or twitter features use the dedicated apps or go to the browser

I don't know if any other os integrates like windows phone does

I doubt facebook or twitter would let Microsoft make their apps obsolete...

can you imagine if you never have to use the app or the browser?

you wouldn't get those targeted ads

they wont allow MS to do that

btgusto

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site
Remember, in the BEGINNING, the hub was supposed to be a quick glance and go situation. It was not meant to be a full functional, Facebook, twitter, instagram, and whatever social feeds you think of. I don't think it will be a full function hub either, at least not in the near future. But still needs some improvements

jdawgnoonan

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Are you sure it wasn't intended as a total solution to handle private messaging on Facebook? The documentation makes it look like that was the intent, and the functionality is quite useless in the current state. Some private Facebook messages to me go through the hub and some don't. The is no rhyme or reason for which messages succeed and which don't. I would rather not have the feature at all if it is unreliable, and it is very unreliable. As advertised, the hub should prevent me from needing a Facebook app for messaging.

FBirraque

Apr 8, 2013
Visit site
I agree that PEOPLE HUB is a great feature of WP.
But should be better and deeply integrated with Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and SKYPE chats and messages systems.
Please MS still pushing this improvements in the next OS updates.

dlalonde

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
iamtim: Although I understand that this is how it was designed and they are not bugs, don't you think it would be nice if MS was to do something really revolutionary on a mobile plateform and push the envelope to have one full OS deep-seeded social network intergration?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos