Official EE (UK Carrier) twitter app says GDR2 update will be "available in the next few weeks"

Derek De Souza

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
Official EE (UK Carrier) twitter app says GDR2 update will be "available in the next few weeks"

So I just sent EE (UK 4G Carrier) a direct message on twitter regarding the GDR2 update and this is the reply..
EEupdate.jpg

Does this mean anything? Can I, a UK EE mobile network user finally rejoice?

montsa007

Ambassador
Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
Re: Official EE (UK Carrier) twitter app says GDR2 update will be "available in the next few weeks"

I don't know what is the definition of 'few' here, I have been hearing "Amber update will be available in few days for L720" since 12th August 2013, those few days never seem to end?

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Re: Official EE (UK Carrier) twitter app says GDR2 update will be "available in the next few weeks"

I feel bad for you guys - seems like you are the last to get the update - hopefully you don't get the same treatment with GDR3 and 8.1 that would really suck.

Derek De Souza

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site

I dont mind waiting for this update but if this happens when 8.1 is out then I'll have to get it myself (somehow). I got the 920 hoping it would stay up to date with everything for a year atleast but nah 3 more high end devices after 920 and we're not getting the royal treatment anymore. I'm dying to try out the smart cam but the carriers are ruining it! I hope wp8.1 is controlled by Microsoft and nobody else.

Derek De Souza

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site

I'm just hoping it to be available before October! Not going to get my hopes up though.

montsa007

Ambassador
Apr 10, 2013
Visit site

^If you buy a carrier locked phone, you're gonna have a bad time with updates.
They'll work day and night to ensure that the OS update is bloated at the maximum possible level, made (un)usable before its released to the public so they can opt for an upgrade.
This whole process can take anywhere from 1 month to 1 year, the carrier decides it.

Derek De Souza

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site

Let me just go sit in a corner and cry. My dad is planning on getting the 1020 so if its a good day, I could persuade him to give it to me and he can keep the 920 :D

taymur

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site

Well, Nokia said that gdr2 will be out by the end of Sep, and its a few weeks till that, soo yeah.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

It is for this reason and this reason only I wish Nokia and MS could get away from the carrier exclusives. EE was the first to get the 920/820 and we're now the last to get the updates. I expect this to be consistent thing with EE. I think they have little desire to promote WP. Even their latest add is promoting the iPhone 5 on EE. I've never seen any ads from EE with regards to WP, not even in store in my area.

My main wish however is that carriers would have absolutely nothing to do with updates. I have never understood what business it is of theirs to have any say in what updates I receive. I know that they have desire to control 'everything' but I personally believe this is one step too far.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Well, Nokia said that gdr2 will be out by the end of Sep, and its a few weeks till that, soo yeah.

GRD2 has been rolling out since mid August. The UK is one of the biggest markets for WP. It's a poor showing on EE's part to stall it, probably to do with a grudge it now has with MS and Nokia.

montsa007

Ambassador
Apr 10, 2013
Visit site

Let me just go sit in a corner and cry. My dad is planning on getting the 1020 so if its a good day, I could persuade him to give it to me and he can keep the 920 :D

If possible get a contract free one, you'll get updates quickly.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

If possible get a contract free one, you'll get updates quickly.

It would be safer to say get an unlocked phone. Here in the UK they had 'SIM Free' but they were still locked to EE which caused a major headache. However unlocked phones tend to be quite expensive here. The only good thing is that you'll hopefully get your updates, so long as Nokia/MS releases them for your country. I won't go into what Nokia did to Australia with the N8 here but it was another disaster and had nothing do with carriers as far as I know.

Derek De Souza

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site

Yeah EE like many other metworks only promote Apple + Android phones. I understand that it's about business and bigger market etc but they need to give us some support. Just recently they released an app for us WP8 users, and there's an EE Film one, but we're still missing clone your phone etc. I'm not a fan of carriers having the control of updates it's just not right.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site

The other option is getting an unbranded phone - I had my 8x replaced direct by HTC and the one I received had no carrier branding on it - I got the GDR2 update about 2 weeks before O2 rolled out the update even though I have an O2 sim and contract.

Derek De Souza

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site

Agreed I'm on a ?35 or ?36 per month contract which is pretty expensive from what my previous contracts would've cost me (max ?20 per month) When the unlocked (sim free) phone was out it was going to cost me ?450 - ?550 depending which website I bought it from and on top of that I need to get on a monthly contract with some operator which would again cost me some more money.

Derek De Souza

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site

Was there a reason to replace your phone? or was it just to get your hands on an unbranded phone

dlusted

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site

Guys, I've had the EE Amber and GDR2 update for a week now.
If you really cannot wait, and want it now either;
a) Download and flash the official EE update from NCS
b) Download and flash a generic one which has 4G enabled, thus breaking away from EE and their update stalls

I've done both, flashed Dev ROM a few weeks ago and then flashed back to EE when their FW was available on NCS.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

I've had GDR2 on my HTC 8X pretty much when it was released. I have an unbranded phone on the EE network.

Derek De Souza

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site

Think I might just flash it myself! I had to do it for WP7.8 on my omnia 7

montsa007

Ambassador
Apr 10, 2013
Visit site

It would be safer to say get an unlocked phone. Here in the UK they had 'SIM Free' but they were still locked to EE which caused a major headache. However unlocked phones tend to be quite expensive here. The only good thing is that you'll hopefully get your updates, so long as Nokia/MS releases them for your country. I won't go into what Nokia did to Australia with the N8 here but it was another disaster and had nothing do with carriers as far as I know.

I don't know, each country has its own terminology.
In short, pay the full price of the phone so you can use it on any provider from the minute you take it out of the cellophane packet.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12