Will Windows phone 7 get GDR2, GDR3 or even 8.1?

nokia_fan

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
There's news floating around about how the GDR2, GDR3 upates will bring basic functionality (such as orientation screen lock etc) to windows phone 8 allowing it to compete with the heavyweights in the mobile world. Owning a Windows phone 7 was without a doubt obviously excrutiating. Nonetheless the reasons I decided to go to the shop and buy one was the quick smooth user interface amongst other reasons. Things which I expected my phone to be able to do - the things which are going to be available in the GDR2 and GDR3 updates, I read, are constantly referenced to Windows phone 8. Will those updates be available to Windows phone 7?

krox1105

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Listen man, I own a WP7 device currently too, but sadly, it won't probably get any future updates to add features. The updates, if any, will be just security updates.
I know it sounds bad, but we'll just have to deal with it. Let us just enjoy our devices for what they presently are :)
Besides, they are more stable than WP8 devices :D

Squachy

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Windows phone 7 sadly I don't believe will get more updates after 7.8 AFAIK. The support is ending in a year from now for 7.8
But in the page below they say the are going to provide updates for 18 months from start of lifecycle, so who knows.
Microsoft Product Lifecycle Search

Uhh WP7 came out in late 2010...its at the tail end of the 18 month support timeframe now.

WP7/7.8 is dead.

MS needs to stop taking its sweetass time to improve its OS. Its absurdly slow progress is whats holding it back. Good for me cuz I got WP7 device at the beginning of a 3 year contract (damn you Canada!) and its almost time to upgrade. Hopefully a Lumia 1020 with Snapdragon 800 will be available for the holidays :D I don't want to get a 1020 with its current snapdragon S4 (not really outdated but old hat now)

lcw731

May 29, 2012
Visit site
I really don't get people crying about WP 7 not being updated etc. When Microsoft announced it they said it was basically a placeholder for Wp8 and would not be compatible or updated once WP came out. It ws a dumb move on their part, but also on the art of earl WP adopters. Sorry, but true.

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Tapatalk

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I really don't get people crying about WP 7 not being updated etc. When Microsoft announced it they said it was basically a placeholder for Wp8 and would not be compatible or updated once WP came out. It ws a dumb move on their part, but also on the art of earl WP adopters. Sorry, but true.

You are clueless. Reverse every one of your statements and it would be correct.

Anyway, to answer the question, no, WP7 will receive no more updates of any kind, security patches or otherwise.

deadwrong03

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
No updates for 7. I just made the upgrade from a HTC Trophy on Verizon to the Lumia 928 man I do not miss 7.x at all. Only the music player/zune syncing. So much better. I'd say just get a new phone the wp8s from last year are roughly $100 on eBay and shouldn't be to high in stores

Sent from my Nokia 928 using Tapatalk

Squachy

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
the only people who should be relatively pissed about WP7 are the ones who got a Lumia 900. That was outdated like 2 months after WP8 was announced to be running on the NT kernel and old phones couldn't be updated lol.

DennisvdG

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
Nope, Windows Phone 7 is dead. M$ decided to screw all the early adopters, go figure.

this is bull****, I was an early adopter and I had more than enough time with my L800 before I had to upgrade to L920, the only people that really got screwed were the people that bought an L900.

TechAbstract

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Windows CE is still in development. Newer versions exist than what is in WP7. Using the term "Kernel" as an explanation or excuse for everything should stop. It's BS.

At least for the WP7, it is. They are trying to combine the three platforms with Windows 8, Windows RT, and WP8 closer together, which all has Windows NT kernel. They are not going to waste their time with Windows CE Kernel on WP7.

mjrtoo

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
Still pissed about W7 eh, time to suck it up and move on. There's not much you can do about it, other than getting pissed, and that just raises blood pressure. 3 years for a mobile OS is about average, or better. It's not like apple or android where yeah you can load a new OS, but I wouldn't actually say it 'works'...unless you like glitchy animations and stuff.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster