E-mail attachment from phone...

DropPass

Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
You're almost right.

If you only have Adobe Reader you cannot do a long press and share. So the only option you have is the Office Hub.

You download the PDF in Office Hub then do the share via email.

The other option is to place the PDF in the Documents folder (you cannot put it in a folder in the documents folder) on your phone and then when in Office Hub, go to Place -> Phone and you'll find it there and then do the long press, share.

Lastly, yes I agree with other comments here regarding how file attachments are done in email. It's silly and not very business friendly at all.

Ahhh... works great! Wish I would have known this from the beginning. Kind of a convoluted way to send a file though. As much as I already know about WP 8, apparently I still have a lot to learn! :smile:

When you say you can place the PDF in the Documents folder, I assume that you first have to plug the phone in via USB so you can see the files on the phone in order to manipulate them? Otherwise, how else would you go about moving the files to the Documents folder?

@taymur... Actually this is my first smartphone (unless you count the crappy T-Mobile Dash I had before this one (I don't)).

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I believe you can do it from any PC via SkyDrive. Just move whatever file into documents folder inside SkyDrive.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Ahhh... works great! Wish I would have known this from the beginning. Kind of a convoluted way to send a file though. As much as I already know about WP 8, apparently I still have a lot to learn! :smile:

When you say you can place the PDF in the Documents folder, I assume that you first have to plug the phone in via USB so you can see the files on the phone in order to manipulate them? Otherwise, how else would you go about moving the files to the Documents folder?

@taymur... Actually this is my first smartphone (unless you count the crappy T-Mobile Dash I had before this one (I don't)).

The phone attaches to a computer and depending on what OS you're using will install the drivers or in the case of W8 the app, so you can use it like a flash drive. You'll have access to a limited amount of folders. In the Documents folder you cannot add folders if you want to access the files on your phone, they must be in the Documents folder. Same goes for Pictures but there's already folders there. With the Music folder you can have folders to separate your music into albums/artists.

Another tip for you if you don't already know, you can set any MP3 you have as a ringtone, you just need to change the genre to RINGTONE and place it in the Ringtones folder.

Skydrive is handy but to move a large amount of data not very effective.

DropPass

Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
The phone attaches to a computer and depending on what OS you're using will install the drivers or in the case of W8 the app, so you can use it like a flash drive. You'll have access to a limited amount of folders. In the Documents folder you cannot add folders if you want to access the files on your phone, they must be in the Documents folder. Same goes for Pictures but there's already folders there. With the Music folder you can have folders to separate your music into albums/artists.

Another tip for you if you don't already know, you can set any MP3 you have as a ringtone, you just need to change the genre to RINGTONE and place it in the Ringtones folder.

Skydrive is handy but to move a large amount of data not very effective.

Thanks for the tips N_LaRue. I already have a handful of Beastie Boys ringtones on my phone! :grin:

I often connect my phone to computer, but always wondered why I cannot see any of the documents files I have download from SkyDrive, e-mail, etc... So if I am understanding correctly, I will only be able to see those documents if I first have them in the SkyDrive>Documents folder and then download them to my phone? I have tried this several times and nothing ever shows in the Documents folder while browsing my phone through my computer. The files in question are in the root of the Documents folder on SkyDrive and not in a sub folder. I must be doing something wrong.

Funky Cricket

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
I do have to agree on the attachments thing. It is pretty ridiculous. They finally got wav voicemails fixed, that last big hurdle for businesses would be to attach a common file type to an email. I can even see limiting to .docx, xlsx, .pdf, etc... but still reply all, attach document is a fairly common thing, even from a phone.

trickym81

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site
I do have to agree on the attachments thing. It is pretty ridiculous. They finally got wav voicemails fixed, that last big hurdle for businesses would be to attach a common file type to an email. I can even see limiting to .docx, xlsx, .pdf, etc... but still reply all, attach document is a fairly common thing, even from a phone.
I agree. I'd hope that this and multiple non-photo attachments comes with WP8.1.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the tips N_LaRue. I already have a handful of Beastie Boys ringtones on my phone! :grin:

I often connect my phone to computer, but always wondered why I cannot see any of the documents files I have download from SkyDrive, e-mail, etc... So if I am understanding correctly, I will only be able to see those documents if I first have them in the SkyDrive>Documents folder and then download them to my phone? I have tried this several times and nothing ever shows in the Documents folder while browsing my phone through my computer. The files in question are in the root of the Documents folder on SkyDrive and not in a sub folder. I must be doing something wrong.

As far as I can tell the only way to get the documents from Skydrive (doesn't matter what folder) into the Documents folder on the phone is by doing a 'Save as' when you have the file open and then change from Skydrive to Phone. This is for Office documents only as there's no Save as in Adobe Reader. Not sure about other PDF programs though as I don't use them.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
This has already been noted as coming in WP8.1. It was supposed to show up in GDR3 but got canceled so I don't see the point in voting.

Are you sure about that, I don't recall anything being posted that wasn't a rumor just like it was supposed to be in GDR3.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Are you sure about that, I don't recall anything being posted that wasn't a rumor just like it was supposed to be in GDR3.

The original articles for GDR3 on WPC stated that this feature was coming. They went back and removed it though after MS clarified what was coming. So logic would dictate it's coming in WP8.1. For the WP to be a useful business tool it has to adopt this feature, along with a few others that are preventing it from gaining ground in enterprise.

To not do this will limit WP growth. I know people go on about features and catching up to Android and iOS but there are certain things that must come to the OS if it's going to get anywhere in the enterprise sector.

mmcpher

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
I don't mind working around, but as basic a function as email attachments ought to be fully integrated on a full-featured phone. I can see with larger models that, given the size and specs, Nokia/MS and the carriers might have thought of their devices as primarily media friendly but they ought nonetheless pay keen attention to how consumers actually use their devices. I have the 1520 on ATT. It is great for video, pictures, etc. but the huge screen size really pays off when reading and/or working on documents that predominantly come as attachments. Its frustrating because it is otherwise excellent and so easy on the eyes that I often read email on the 1520 while I'm sitting at my desk in front of my desktop. Yet the 1520 has undersized internal memory to store the high volume of documents, etc. that I would like to process through it, has poor integration with Skydrive, other than for photos, and doesn't allow seamless attachment of docs and pdfs, etc. I don't mean to denigrate anyone's use of a WP to work with photos and songs, etc., but I would much rather have to work around in that direction than in the basic transfer of non-photo and no-musical information.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
The key thing is that other mobile platforms such as Android have task based interfaces whereas Windows Phone 8 has a data based interface i.e. On Android to send a document by email you go into the email app and add the attachment to the email. On Windows Phone you go into the Office Hub and share the document via email.

This is shown another way as well in live tiles. They bring data to you rather than you having to open the app to get access to the data.

Loco5150

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
I think its only weird that we cant send any attachements like pdf's via email.

Now that the Ativ-S has been fully interop unlocked, we have pdf to office app that can move around files inside the phone. We can move any pdf file to office hub and then email it from there.

N1NJ4K1LL3R

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
If you already had it on your SkyDrive why didn?t you just share the link? Why go through all those extra steeps?

You can also Long hold pictures, document, etc., and share it via email, messaging, etc.

Marco Orlandi

Jan 13, 2014
Visit site
...The reason is simple when doing business with email : The process is this write an email--> attach document --> type other text --> attach another document ---> .... --> send email
The process of selecting document and creating an email is ismply reversed and not useful, and once you have attached a doc, what if you want to add another to the same mail ???
Anyone who declares that attaching from email isn't a limit, is only using his phone for gaming or fun.

mmcpher

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
...The reason is simple when doing business with email : The process is this write an email--> attach document --> type other text --> attach another document ---> .... --> send email
The process of selecting document and creating an email is ismply reversed and not useful, and once you have attached a doc, what if you want to add another to the same mail ???
Anyone who declares that attaching from email isn't a limit, is only using his phone for gaming or fun.

I agree, but without the implied denigration for someone who doesn't care about how to attach documents to emails. I do care, however, and this remains a major shortfall of WP for me in contrast to the way Blackberry handles emails and attachments. The pictures and songs and all are great but a smartphone for me is at its most productive and smartest when it allows me to receive and review and distribute documents, spreadsheets, etc., wherever I am in a seamless and rational way, without my having to resort to elaborate work arounds.

mmcpher

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
Any new apps, or updates to existing PDF apps that allow more attachment efficiency? Is this going to be addressed in the upcoming firmware update?

mpt15

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
Any new apps, or updates to existing PDF apps that allow more attachment efficiency? Is this going to be addressed in the upcoming firmware update?

pdf reader pro by ocius is good.

WP 8.1 is rumoured to bring a file picked, which may allow more/better email attachments.

Avenger

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
I was strongly considering a windows phone. I even went to the microsoft store to try one for about 30 minutes to see if I liked it. I was somewhat impressed (as an Android user) until the point I went to send an email and thought I was just being silly and did not know how to work attachments. That led me here from Google to find out you can't attach files. Really??? I think I will have to wait for 8.1 to see how it handles then - too few programs and lots of lacking features at this point, unfortunately.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster