Analyst: "Microsoft will fail with Nokia handsets"

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
re: Analyst: "Microsoft will fail with Nokia handsets"

Yes very long read, I think my head exploded. :)

Castor Troy

May 30, 2013
Visit site

Yes very long read, I think my head exploded. :)

:) Yes, as a new WP fan I found this story to be really disheartening. I still have high hopes for WP but hopes and wishes are meaningless when it comes to this insurmountable obstacle (assuming his statements are correct)

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

:) Yes, as a new WP fan I found this story to be really disheartening. I still have high hopes for WP but hopes and wishes are meaningless when it comes to this insurmountable obstacle (assuming his statements are correct)
I'd have to say that is incorrect with regard to the US market. I was one of the few US users who had a Symbian device back in the day (before switching to BlackBerry). However, I've never met anyone who used Symbian back around 2006-2009, and if I would have mentioned Symbian nobody would have a clue what it was. Most people in the US either never even heard of Nokia (or just thought Nokia made dumbphones). The majority of US customers with smartphones back then used Palm, BlackBerry, or WinMo devices.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site

Interesting article. If that guys statements are correct it is depressing as a windows phone user. I personally think windows phone is headed in the right direction though.

kamikaze80

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site

There are a lot of uncomfortable truths in that blog post that will be ignored here. Lets be honest, WP would already be dead if not for the Lumia series. WP enjoys little to no carrier support. The only region it has done relatively well is Europe, thanks to Nokia's carrier relations and customer reputation there. Now that Nokia is gone, WP is going to face more difficulty getting to consumers, not less. And it will make no difference even if the next Lumias are the best phones ever. I'm a huge Nokia Lumia fan, but it makes me sick what Elop and MS did to Nokia and its employees (there are going to be thousands of layoffs - and notice who will stay - sales (ie carrier relations) and manufacturing). You have to be willfully blind to think Elop didn't kill the N9 and release the burning platform memo by mistake because he's just that stupid. It was sabotage.

Paul Verizzo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site

Oh, stop it. Gawd, all you Chicken Littles. No need to read any article, everyone is pulling predictions out of their arses. Every read old predictions about anything? Fly cars by 2000 being the classic example.

I like to overview the present phone maker/market situation as follows: Forget Blackberry, at least for now. That leaves Androids, made by many companies, iPhone, made by one company from beginning to end, and WP, up to now, made by a partnership. I think that looking over many millions of user experiences, iPhone is the most integrated, stable, no surprises platform. If there's a problem, Apple is on it. Android suffers from too many cooks and no one takes responsibility. Many problems over many years over many brands, some now attaining tradition status. Like battery drain. Just today a friend told me he uses 2-3 batteries a day, "but I'm on it a lot!"

MS makes mistakes. Zune mp3, anyone? Apple makes mistakes. How many HD video connectors have they created and dropped? But MS IS the 1000 pound gorilla in tech life because they tend, in aggregate, make good decisions.

(Someone above said that WP is only doing well in Europe, not at all true. Huge seller in Mexico, like a third of new phones and strong generally in Latin America.)

The only thing I fear about this purchase is that MS loses a head. You know, another voice as they make decisions. But Apple ain't doing so badly with only their own voice.

"The future's so bright I gotta wear shades."

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

TL;DR. Just another windbag blogger pundit.

I really have to question cereal killer's motivations in finding this article and posting it here. 3300 global posts? 13 posts here? A Droid in your profile? Not looking to spread FUD, now, are you?

lipper2000

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site

It never fails to amaze me how people on the outside seem to think they know what goes on in the inside and somehow can predict the future...nevermind the fact that most industry leaders in the past 15 years never would have predicted apple re-inventing the phone business, an internet search company called google basically taking everything over or Nokia and RIM dissolving....

None of us know what is going to happen with technology in the future...small upstarts are the ones that bring new ideas to the table and cause industry disruptions...big companies are successful only if they can ride out those storms...Microsoft has rode out every storm that has came whereas most of the competition over the last 20+ years are now long gone.

MS were late to the game with a reply to the iphone and they are paying for it now. However, buying Nokia for relatively chump change (money they would be paying in taxes anyway) is a no brainer.

I personally believe they decided to buy Nokia now because of the timing of Ballmer leaving. Elop was probably on their radar to take over MS eventually anyway but if Nokia was still a going concern, taking the leader from the only smartphone company that was pushing WP8 would be a terrible mistake...this way, they get a brilliant leader and manufacturing and design expertise.

Will they win in the end? Who knows...in the end MS had no choice and it's best to see how the cookie crumbles in a few years rather than pulling BS out of your arse, like most pundits and bloggers do these days

OzRob

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
Many problems over many years over many brands, some now attaining tradition status. Like battery drain. Just today a friend told me he uses 2-3 batteries a day, "but I'm on it a lot!"

This is a well known WP8/Nokia problem as well. Look at the stickie on this forum - 75% of people experiencing unexpected excessive battery drain.

Castor Troy

May 30, 2013
Visit site
TL;DR. Just another windbag blogger pundit.

I really have to question cereal killer's motivations in finding this article and posting it here. 3300 global posts? 13 posts here? A Droid in your profile? Not looking to spread FUD, now, are you?

New WP user (Lumia 928) and huge fan of both WP and Nokia, former Android user.

Motivations? Have an open conversation with the wp community on this analyst ( research his background) blog post.

Its not a hit piece on WP and MS. Spoiler Alert: it's about the carriers and Skype.

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
This is a well known WP8/Nokia problem as well. Look at the stickie on this forum - 75% of people experiencing unexpected excessive battery drain.

This was introduced with WP8 only. WP7 was fine. And when I got a replacement 920 that started having those problems, I turned off permissions on a couple apps to run in background. Now, no problem. I think it could just as well be an issue with individual apps.

Either way, the kinks of WP are dwarfed by Android land. You wouldn't believe the list of **** wrong with my girlfriends Android. You'd think it was a 40 year old car with 300k miles, 15 owners, and horrible maintenance. She was so eager to dump that thing when she got her 928.

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site

Motivations? Have an open conversation with the wp community on this analyst ( research his background) blog post.

Its not a hit piece on WP and MS. Hint: it's about the carriers and Skype.

I think you have to remember that in this forum, we're used to BS posts and blog pundits trashing WP with pure FUD. So we over react. That being said, I'd caution worrying too much about what any blogger says. They are always very one sided opinions. They fail to see any factors that contradict their POV.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

Its not a hit piece on WP and MS. Spoiler Alert: it's about the carriers and Skype.
You might want to update your profile. :smile:

I know you from CrackBerry and remember you using BlackBerry devices; I didn't know you also used Android.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
You might want to update your profile. :smile:

Why, what does it say? Now you have me worried, LOL.

I know you from CrackBerry and remember you using BlackBerry devices; I didn't know you also used Android.

Wow, I haven't been on CrackBerry for a LONG time. Yeah, I really wanted to like Android. I had a G1, a Samsung Captivate, and most recently a Nexus 7. I don't think I kept a one longer than 90 days, Android's just not for me.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

Why, what does it say? Now you have me worried, LOL.
Still shows device as Droid.

Wow, I haven't been on CrackBerry for a LONG time. Yeah, I really wanted to like Android. I had a G1, a Samsung Captivate, and most recently a Nexus 7. I don't think I kept a one longer than 90 days, Android's just not for me.
I was a regular at CrackBerry from 2009-2012, since I used BlackBerry devices at that time. I still post there in some of the off-topic threads, mainly because I have friends I've met from CrackBerry.

msweig

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I found the article interesting regarding the carriers and Skype. Really good point if true. Also, the historical Nokia numbers were astounding. It definitely makes you hope Elop isn't the new Microsoft CEO.

But, oddly enough, I've seen more AT&T employees with Windows Phones in the few times I've been in a store than I've seen in the wild.

Shouvik Mazumdar

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
The world was supposed to end in 2012. It didn't. Analysts are entitled to their opinions. That's what they teach us in B schools , write long baffling posts so that by the time you come to the end of it , you will get so bored that you will agree to them. If you can't convince..confuse :)

BTW , Microsoft - NOKIA deal makes sense. But whether or not it is a success , that largely depends on what MS does from here. If they continue to be the laggard , slow behemoth then yeah even a baby can predict doom. But now that they have Nokia resources , they cant make excuses those "startup" excuses that Joe Belifore had once made !!