Analyst: "Microsoft will fail with Nokia handsets"

OzRob

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
This was introduced with WP8 only.

Yes, that's what I said - WP8/Nokia problem.

WP7 was fine.

Irrelevant.

And when I got a replacement 920 that started having those problems, I turned off permissions on a couple apps to run in background. Now, no problem. I think it could just as well be an issue with individual apps.

Any Android-related battery drain issues I've ever had have been issues with apps. So don't see that WP8 is 'better' in this regard.

Either way, the kinks of WP are dwarfed by Android land. You wouldn't believe the list of **** wrong with my girlfriends Android. You'd think it was a 40 year old car with 300k miles, 15 owners, and horrible maintenance. She was so eager to dump that thing when she got her 928.

A matter of opinion. Personally I've hit far more quirks, random shutdowns, inexplicable battery drains, and weirdness with my Lumia 720 than I ever had with my Sony Xperia S.

Bottom line: Android phones have issues. iPhones have issues. WP8 phones have issues. The issues may be (and undoubtedly are) quite different, and certainly the fragmentation of the Android system brings unique problems to that platform, but in the end the degree to which each respective phone platform either annoys you to distraction or suits your needs perfectly (and all states in between) comes down to personal experience and tastes, and how you use or want to use your phone. Someone who never listens to music on their phone won't give a rat's @rse about random duplicate song listings in the music databases on a WP8 phone. For those who listen to music extensively, it's essentially a showstopper.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
It's amazing how people deny that Nokia was failing before Elop got there.

They don't understand the concept of ecosystems or the type of infrastructure needed to support it.

They also dont understand how technology moves. They think you could sit on your laurels with old crappy tech and succeed just because it worked in the past.

Nokia was already pretty much dead in the US market and was also starting to either in other markets. Their "smartphones" weren't that smart. And the only thing that kept them somewhat okay in the smartphone market in the SHORT TERM was the large existing install base of Symbian and the cheap smartphones that people could buy that could use their old old old Symbian apps.

The writer then blames Nokia's downward spiral on the "Elop effect"; failing to realize that he did not have supreme power and did not act in a vacuum. The writer also fails to realize that the problem Nokia faced is that they changed TOO LATE, not that they changed.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
I didn't read the article but just what was posted here, a few things:

1) Nokia hasn't really been big with high end phones in the US.. just about ever. Most US writers dont realize what a powerhouse Nokia still is outside US and especially the powerhouse it was before. While US is a huge and important market, Nokia managed to be the market leader for a long time with basically very bad market penetration in the US.

2) Elop was put as a CEO to an already sinking ship. The way I see it, he has managed to salvage alot. The mistakes were done years before Elop joined Nokia, I think he has managed fine seeing what he has had to work with. I don't really know what to think about this MS purchase and Elop's role in all of that, just looking at his history and track record with Nokia.

3) Never had any issues with my Lumia 920, will likely keep buying Lumias in the future whether they are Nokia or MS branded. The only real alternative for me might be Jolla, but I love the W8-ecosystem and have invested quite a bit in it and will keep doing so too.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to daily Nokia vitriol with Tomi Ahonen!

I haven't even looked at the article yet (planned to do so when I get home), but now that you've mentioned Tomi I know that I don't have too. lol

P.S. For those that don't know, he's an ex Nokia executive with a grudge.

omgitsnick

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
I'm actually sick of seeing these "Microsoft buys Nokia" articles, journals, or some other 'FUD' opinions, either if it's for the benefit for both or not, I honestly Can.Not.Give.Any.More.F's. As a consumer, like I always say: just stick to whatever works for you and makes you happy. Only time will tell (or Microsoft can present themselves their plans) for us whether this buy-out will work.. or not. So because we do not know the plans of Microsoft with the acquisition of Nokia, "tech journalists" (yeah right) jot down their silly opinions, as if they're predicting the fate of the company, like any other haters would do, only with more fancy 'logic' words to it.

Flavio76

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
I'm actually sick of seeing these "Microsoft buys Nokia" articles, journals, or some other 'FUD' opinions, either if it's for the benefit for both or not, I honestly Can.Not.Give.Any.More.F's. As a consumer, like I always say: just stick to whatever works for you and makes you happy. Only time will tell (or Microsoft can present themselves their plans) for us whether this buy-out will work.. or not. So because we do not know the plans of Microsoft with the acquisition of Nokia, "tech journalists" (yeah right) jot down their silly opinions, as if they're predicting the fate of the company, like any other haters would do, only with more fancy 'logic' words to it.

sure, and if this guy is so right bout the future of a successful company like Microsoft, he shouldn't b a tech journalist, but a CEO.
Ok, anyone can give opinion , like me right now, but this article about Microsoft is just a comment , just a comment.Just like I'm doing now.

jlzimmerman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
This article is full of emotion and bias. Emotion grays out logic.

The only thing he writes which I agree, which I stated before, is that carriers don't want a Microsoft handset, and they helped kill the Kin because of it. Nokia was more-or-less their in with WP because Nokia is more beloved or respected, but WP is still frowned upon because it's Microsoft. Now carriers/manufacturers/developers have even more reason to shun Microsoft.
Microsoft still needs to shake their negative, bullying image. But they need to walk the walk also and many times they don't. They're a bull in a china shop.

jlzimmerman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Oh, and I like this....

Windows Phone (proper, not including Asha) will not match the peak of 4% market share it had briefly this year, ever in any upcoming year. It may momentarily hit that level on some quarter, maybe, on some momentarily hit phone, but the carriers will make sure Nokia never again hits these levels in annual share. Never above 4% is my solid prediction. Soon we will have 'third ecosystems' that do better than that, my bet is on Tizen but we might have others too, like Firefox, Sailfish, perhaps even a recovery by Blackberry, not to mention Palm's WebOS via LG and HP's return to smartphones.

I hope folks as Microsoft sees this think
challenge_accepted.jpg

Paul Verizzo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
This is a well known WP8/Nokia problem as well. Look at the stickie on this forum - 75% of people experiencing unexpected excessive battery drain.

Not an accurate interpretation of that fact, and of a very different character. That survey asks if a reader has EVER experienced sudden battery drain. I have, so I answered "Yes." One time for some few minutes. Yes, it does seem to happen. But this is not the same as the Android just sucking the juice, minute after minute till dead, across many brands and models. When I had GPS on, the battery would get almost hot on my Android and would be good for a couple of hours, max.

As the old saying goes, "The devil is in the details." This is very true for communications, too.

Bartdog

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
TL;DR. Just another windbag blogger pundit.

I really have to question cereal killer's motivations in finding this article and posting it here. 3300 global posts? 13 posts here? A Droid in your profile? Not looking to spread FUD, now, are you?
The first thing you do is look at the URL and see if it comes from somewhere with any credibility. This might as well be geocities. Then you start reading and he mentions Nokias dominance in smart phones, which someone else has already pointed out was nil. annnnnnnnnnnnnnd I'm done.

krishna6233

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Windowsphone's initial success is because of Nokia's brand recognition and its popularity ........No one buys a phone here(india) thinking it has wp in it but because of the Nokia name printed on it ......this applies to many other asian countries also!
Nokia as a brand is more than what WP is or was .

FinancialP

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
I'm tired of the Kin bashing. My goodness, Microsoft has other failures besides Kin. My goodness Windows mobile/phone 6.1, 6.5,6.5.X, MSN smart watches etc...

I read kin and I scream please stop it!

JustToClarify

Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
P.S. For those that don't know, he's an ex Nokia executive with a grudge.

which doesn't change the fact that his predictions came true, it might be FUD if he was talking something without any facts or missing predictions badly but he was so damn right about everything about Nokia-MS relationship that it can't be called FUD anymore, he knows the stuff

Dazzi

Apr 13, 2013
Visit site