What happens to Nokia Music after MS acquisition?!

psreloaded

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
As the topic says.. We know Microsoft has xbox music which is only available in a handful of countries. Now Nokia Music, which is similar in a lot of sense to Xbox music is available in a lot more countries.

I couldn't find any info about what will happen to it.. I hope they don't discontinue because in countries where xbox music is not available this would be a problem..

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Good question. Nokia Music wasn't mentioned at all in the news. To my mind it could go two ways - Microsoft could treat it as a separate Nokia entity and keep it basically as it is, or it could merge into the existing Xbox Music and Video services. At this point no one really knows - we're all guessing.

kilgore walleye

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I also hope Nokia Music sticks around for free, but I have a bad feeling microsoft will axe it and push people towards the monthly Xbox music subscription. Or they'll at least put ads in it.

This is really part of a bigger question about what happens to all the Nokia value-added items like Nokia Music, Lumia exclusive apps, Nokia-made apps, etc. It will be hard form Microsoft to produce apps specifically for Lumias if they still want to license the software to other vendors. Nokia really went all out to please their users, because really they had no other choice. They even filled in gaps in basic utilities like trimming videos, ringtone maker, etc. If Microsoft steps up and still produces those apps, exclusives, etc. and makes them available to all Windows Phone 8 devices, that's great. But we've already seen that Microsoft has a limited amount of resources for WP8 and they're currently forgoing working on those features while they push to make the platform work on more hardware. Hopefully the purchase of Nokia means that they'll have those additional resources to work on specific features users are asking for.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Nokia Music is a prime example of the international reach Nokia has that Microsoft simply doesn't. Since they can't use the Nokia name I'm sure they'll have to rebrand it. Xbox music makes a **** poor radio product so this should nicely fit a niche MS was missing. Remember, Microsoft was about to buy RDio but never did. This could be why.

psreloaded

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
The problem with xbox music is reach.. Its not available in most countries.. Nokia Music on the other hand has a good reach.. good library and the music files are drm free...

infinidim

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
What Microsoft could do is merge the two and give extra reach for the merged product - it's an interesting question which I am sure they will have a solution for before the Microsoft purchase of Nokia phone bits is completed.

ChMar

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
MS did not bought HERE services and I assume they did not buy Nokia music also. Nokia transitioning to a service company most surely kept the nokia music business too. So nothing should change with nokia music

psreloaded

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
MS has clarified that the music service has indeed been bought but they are not sure what they will do with it.. I have a feeling that it might be closed which bodes badly for most countries..

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I think it either stays with Nokia or closes. Microsoft seems to be pretty keen on keeping Xbox Music a subscription-based service, so I doubt that they would acquire a service and offer it for free alongside Xbox Music. It would eat into their own subscriber market, which would be silly.

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I really hope they don't do away with it. I love Nokia Music and use it exclusively... So much so, that I subscribed to Nokia Music+ for the $3.99 a month. I've never had an Xbox and have no use for Xbox music.. but I guess if that ends up being my only choice...

Hey, I just had a thought; what if since Microsoft bought Nokia, and they now have two "in house" music services that they need to figure out what to do with.. that they combined them and called it something crazy... like "Zune"...

FBirraque

Apr 8, 2013
Visit site
I'm subscriber of Xbox and Nokia Music services.
XBox is just a Music Store almost without sync with PC since Zune were discontinued.
Otherwise Nokia Music is the best place to discover new songs and rhythms. Their playlist algorithm is awesome!
Please Ballmer don't kill another great product... Keep Nokia Music in the same way and just redirect the music sales or rent to XBox Music Pass / Store.

Squachy

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
They should just merge Nokia Music with Xbox Music.
1.) Set up Nokia music as the base system.
2.) Transfer everything about Xbox music INTO Nokia Music.
3.) Rename Nokia music back into Xbox music.

Now you have the new Xbox music powered by Nokia music.

Geez this whole acquisition is a mess. Everytime something that SHOULD be a fairly obvious solution presents itself, MS seems to take another step towards full retardation.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte