Help me understand the backlash

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I am uber confused with all of the backlash and complaining I am seeing here on wpcentral(I refuse to go the verge to see a bunch of morons acting like elitists).

People are literally considering moving from windows phone because of a acquisition or whatever that is still pending approval all because the phones may not be called Nokia Lumia whatever?

I can understand people being upset or sad that Nokia as we know it may be disappearing but I would much rather Nokia be with Microsoft vs them making anything for android or google.

We are all entitled to our opinions, I know, since we paid for the products we own but I am just so confused. No offense but anyone who brought a windows phone solely because it was a Nokia seems a bit strange to me. I brought the phone for the OS...WHICH I thought most people tend to do. The manufacturer was chosen second and originally I owned an 8x....before owning various lumias.

I just have a hard time understanding the backlash of all this mess because I don't see what the big deal is...if working as separate partners was not doing well for them and costing money I would love them to pool resources as one unit and become the next apple for mobile. With all the hate Microsoft seems to get by people who own a Nokia WINDOWS phone it makes me wonder why they didn't just buy an 808 and hold on to the Nokia of the past.

And its a name of a phone lol. As long as the products are made the same as they have been and continue getting support I don't really care what they call it. Besides the Lumia name really doesn't sound that interesting to me from a marketing standpoint imo.

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
ZZZ002360-PO.jpg

This might explain why so many are complaining about the MS purchase of Nokia.

TonyDedrick

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
My opinion is that we wait and see (whether initially for or against this) how it pans out. We just don't know where the pieces will fall and the results yet. And it will be a while til we do.

paulxxwall

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
I am uber confused with all of the backlash and complaining I am seeing here on wpcentral(I refuse to go the verge to see a bunch of morons acting like elitists).

People are literally considering moving from windows phone because of a acquisition or whatever that is still pending approval all because the phones may not be called Nokia Lumia whatever?

I can understand people being upset or sad that Nokia as we know it may be disappearing but I would much rather Nokia be with Microsoft vs them making anything for android or google.

We are all entitled to our opinions, I know, since we paid for the products we own but I am just so confused. No offense but anyone who brought a windows phone solely because it was a Nokia seems a bit strange to me. I brought the phone for the OS...WHICH I thought most people tend to do. The manufacturer was chosen second and originally I owned an 8x....before owning various lumias.

I just have a hard time understanding the backlash of all this mess because I don't see what the big deal is...if working as separate partners was not doing well for them and costing money I would love them to pool resources as one unit and become the next apple for mobile. With all the hate Microsoft seems to get by people who own a Nokia WINDOWS phone it makes me wonder why they didn't just buy an 808 and hold on to the Nokia of the past.

And its a name of a phone lol. As long as the products are made the same as they have been and continue getting support I don't really care what they call it. Besides the Lumia name really doesn't sound that interesting to me from a marketing standpoint imo.
your right it wasn't only the phone it was also the os but I knew with having a sweet os than put that in a Nokia it was perfect combination.samsung is ok and so is HTC .but we both know they don't compare even with the same os.nokia is wp8 hands down I looked for the best phone I felt wp8 had to offer and as always it was going to be a Nokia .almost every article on wpc is about sum new Nokia coming out that's why im kinda sad but im willing to read up a little more on it but like the Xbox DRM deal although Ms and many felt this was the start of future gaming not many people liked it hence the changes but well see only time will tell but not many feel good about this I hope someone will make Nokia quality phones

paulm187

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
Its because these people only care about the name "Nokia". They don't give a damn about the engineers, developers, designers, marketers and sales force at Nokia who worked very hard in the success of these phones. They don't give a damn about the billions of dollars Microsoft pumped into Nokia which virtually kept it afloat and guaranteed jobs for these people and still guarantee jobs with the transition to Microsoft. They don't give a damn about Windows Phone or for its future success. They got their heads so stuck up their gluteus maximus frankly I don't give a damn about them either.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Help you understand the backlash? Are you kidding me? Sigmund Freud would have sat these whiners down, asked them if they were happy children, listened to their story of woe and then, after digesting all these facts, would probably put on a Fedora, grab a walking cane and pimp-slap each and every one of them. Did I shed any light on your conundrum?

Noahma

Dec 25, 2012
Visit site
I can see where they are coming from (although I do not sit in their boat)
they are taking a total Emotional response to the news. A company they knew and love is no longer going to be producing the devices they associate themselves with.
but if you look at the stark reality, Nokia was not turning the boat around fast enough, they would have burned through their cash reserves, and then what? Bankruptcy, which would worsen their image. Or they would have been sold off to another company.
With Microsoft's acquisition of the company, the decision to keep the mobile devices company in Sweden, and allowed to function as they have is the best possible solution there could have been.

Take the emotion out of it and look at it from a business, logical standpoint.

Next up HTC! (who is in the boat Nokia would have been in if they would have chosen Android as the OS.) Sinking, and no way to compete.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Help you understand the backlash? Are you kidding me? Sigmund Freud would have sat these whiners down, asked them if they were happy children, listened to their story of woe and then, after digesting all these facts, would probably put on a Fedora, grab a walking cane and pimp-slap each and every one of them. Did I shed any light on your conundrum?
Quite a bit lol .

Tbh the only real reason I own a Nokia is because of the camera. Its not that I like or am affiliated with Nokia for their apps because most really don't appeal to me. The camera is what keeps with them and as long as they keep up the camera tech I plan to stay with them regardless of the name they call their phones...i have far more important things to worry about than what the name of my phone is and the fact people are acting like someone real has died and not just a name is hilarious to me :D

Noahma

Dec 25, 2012
Visit site
How do you guys think about Windows phone, I think all along Nokia hardware is good, but how about Windows phone software?

I am all in here. I was with IOS since the first Iphone. It got old and stale, I had an android for a brief time, and I really did not like it that much. This phone (Lumia 920) has been a blast! I really love it, and Windows phone 8

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
How do you guys think about Windows phone, I think all along Nokia hardware is good, but how about Windows phone software?
I love the software. I wish there were more apps of course but I am dar happier using the software than android. I don't get annoyed with the OS glitching for no apparent reason.
Nokia makes excellent hardware but maybe HTC will use this as a way to step up their game.

anon(5408460)

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
I wouldn't be surprised if they aren't the same moaning gits who think everything should be free and begrudge paying a couple of dollars for an app because its "too expensive"

umang_k91

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
it has more to do with consumers loving their nokia devices more than them loving microsoft products. they see microsoft as a slow company where implimentation is slow and fear that they wont keep nokias level of innovation up. i see microsoft more like a government company, slow with implementation. i like their products but theres no way i would want them to make nokia function like the rest of their company does. atleast here in india i also feel that nokia makes a good effort with everything, it does not look like microsoft gives a crap about india honestly, so that worries me too

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
it has more to do with consumers loving their nokia devices more than them loving microsoft products. they see microsoft as a slow company where implimentation is slow and fear that they wont keep nokias level of innovation up. i see microsoft more like a government company, slow with implementation. i like their products but theres no way i would want them to make nokia function like the rest of their company does. atleast here in india i also feel that nokia makes a good effort with everything, it does not look like microsoft gives a crap about india honestly, so that worries me too

Microsoft cares about India no more and no less than any other place. It's not personal, it's business. If India doesn't contribute to the ledger, they're on the back burner. If Nokia does better in Europe than the U.S. you will see fewer Nokia devices stateside. It's not complicated, please the shareholders whatever the cost.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I don't get it either. Now, I admit that I bought a Nokia Lumia 900 (and later a Lumia 521) because of the brand. Specifically, because of nostalgia for the brand - Nokia has not really existed for the last several years in the US. Actually, I think that's part of the problem with this debate - many in the US don't see Nokia as a "brand name" (I'm not from the US originally), while most of the rest of the world does. "Nobody" ( you now what I mean!) in the US used Symbian or Meego or whatever the previous Nokia smart phone OSs were. Nokia was a non-entity in the smart phone sector.

However, had it not been for Microsoft, I would not have purchased a Lumia. I've always had good experiences with Windows on PCs, probably because I actually use WINDOWS and not the crapware-laden bastardization that the OEMs ship, which people unfortunately conflate with "Windows". I had seen Windows Phones previously, but I never believed that those manufacturers, which also produced Android phones, would be as serious about WP as Nokia evidently were. It felt like a safe bet that Microsoft + Nokia were willing to go all in, because they placed all their chips on the table for WP.

So to me, Windows Phone was Nokia + Microsoft already, even before this deal. After it, that just solidifies that belief, and shows that Microsoft is willing to go ahead and do what they can to make WP a product that can go from niche to mainstream. I don't care if it's 3rd or 4th in the OS space - I just want it to be a viable option. And remember, just 2 years ago, BlackBerry (then RIM) had like a third of the market! Things happen quickly. To make accurate predictions that are more than a few months out is almost impossible, so to me it's laughable when I see pundits and "analysts" talk about how this will shape the market for years to come.

anon(7937399)

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
I like Nokia for their engineering, especially their understanding of antenna physics. Also, their insistence that a smartphone is a phone first, and a computer second. They're also bulletproof. MS is getting all of that engineering prowess, and they're staying in Finland. Also staying in Finland in the distribution management and their deep knowledge of foreign markets. If Stephen Elop is wise, he will leave them alone and let them work.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
If you want to see some real backlash, head over to the TotalWar.com forums and hang out in the Rome 2 Total War forum. Now THAT is some backlash.

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
There is a lot of backlash because people foolishly fall in love with big brand names. They are treating a billion dollar corporation as if it was a friend or family member. They fail to realize that the same designers, engineers and manufacturers will be making phones, but with a different logo on the phone. If you are someone who is seriously distraught over the fact that a phone has a different logo on it then maybe it's time to re-evaluate your priorities in life.

There is also a lot of misinformation being spread, especially by those diehard Nokia fans. In their hearts they believe that Nokia would be right up there with Apple and Samsung had it not been for Microsoft. They fail to realize that Nokia was going bankrupt before MS stepped in with their deep pockets. The mobile division of Sony and Motorola are barely surviving (In Moto's case thanks to Google's deep pockets) so going with Android was not some kind of recipe for success.

The main reason I went with Nokia was because of their exclusive apps. If those apps were available on the Ativ S or 8X I would have considered those as well. Maybe with MS at the helm we will see less OEM exclusives.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6