map problem : persistent pin/tag on current location

fgaudet

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
I have an annoying bug with the native WP8 map app (not the Nokia Here maps) on my HTC 8X : my current location always shows the pin of a location I onced saved, no matter where I actually am.

Let's say I called it that location "Our house, in the middle of a street", well now whenever I open maps and click for my current location, it will have a pin "Our house, in the middle of a street" on my current location; needless to say, my house is *not* in the middle of that street...

I deleted that saved location, recreated it somewhere else, re-deleted it, renamed it, deleted the history... nothing fixed the problem: where ever I am is always "Our house, in the middle of street".

Anyone else got this bug ?
Anyone know how to fix this, short of doing a phone reset ? (*not an option at the moment*)

For now, I've resolved to switch to Nokia Here maps as a temporary (permanent?) fix...

Note 1: I have GDR2, but this bug predates that. Phone is unlocked HTC 8X from Rogers, 8Gb.
Note 2: When I initially created that pin, I had problems and the app crashed - I think the phone hardlocked...

Curtieson

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
Can you post a screen shot of the issue without completely giving your address away?

I'd say your best bet is it uninstall the app, but...you can't do that without hard restarting the phone.

fgaudet

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
Can you post a screen shot of the issue without completely giving your address away?

I'd say your best bet is it uninstall the app, but...you can't do that without hard restarting the phone.

Here's a link to a screenshot - note the actual pin says "Maison Mackenzie". Where ever I am is "Maison Mackenzie"... ("Our house..." was just a more interesting example :winktongue: )
http://sdrv.ms/17lEWYa

Indeed, I think the only way to "reinstall" the native map app is a phone reset, and I can't do that right now, I need my phone at the moment...

fgaudet

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
*bump*
So, no one else has this bug? A persistent previously saved pin always following your current location, no matter where you are...

Curtieson

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
I feel like you named yourself...and that is what is following you around... It is very weird. How did you first try to "save your location" / what were you doing when it crashed and stuck there?

fgaudet

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
I feel like you named yourself...and that is what is following you around... It is very weird. How did you first try to "save your location" / what were you doing when it crashed and stuck there?

Yes, I think that's what happend too, I somehow named 'myself', but I can't find how to change this.
I don't remember exactly how it happened, it was a little while ago - it may actually have been the first pin location I saved and got prompted for something, realized my mistake, mashed the back button furiously and crashed out...

Last edited:

Curtieson

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
Yea...I don't know what you mean by "the first pin I saved". I can save favorite locations (but only in HERE Maps, not Bing) and pin locations to the start screen but not sure how to save a pin...

Sorry, but you completely got me, haha.

What happens when you just "clear map". Normally that just takes all the names off the screen...?

fgaudet

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
Ooops, meant favorite location, not pin!

You can save locations in Bing maps this way :
  1. press and hold the location on the map you want to save; a pin will appear there with the address
  2. press the tag of the newly created pin, that will open an 'About' page for that location
  3. press the add to favorites icon at the bottom
Clear map removes all the pins on the map; as soon as I click on my location on the map, the pin reappears.
Also, looking in my map favorites/recent list, I get duplicates with the same tag everytime(?) I click the tag, so my "recent" list is overpopulated with a bunch of "Maison Mackenzie", with different & same addresses...

Curtieson

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
OK, I don't have the option to save a favorite in Bing Maps on my Nokia 920... I can only save favorites in HERE maps. (I just get to the Bing Maps through Local Scout.)

And the duplicates is an issue too, there should only be 1 entry per address and once you revisit a place it moves to the top. Have you tried to remove all your Favorites? I am assuming you have.

fgaudet

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
Hadn't removed all my favorites yet, just did so but it changed nothing. :(
Deleted history too, still no changes, as soon as I click the current location marker, "Maison Mackenzie" is shown, and it reappears in my "recent" too.
/sad

fgaudet

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
Lol, better than nothing!
I've posted my problem on the Windows forums, but smells like the only solution will be a phone reset... :\

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss