No "keep settings, apps, and files" Option in Windows 8.1 RTM

TeknoBlast

Jun 22, 2012
Visit site
So last night I downloaded Windows 8.1 RTM. I have several Windows 8 machines I wanted to upgrade.

Device #1: Acer W3 810 - No issues what so ever. I upgraded in-place and I was able to keep all my applications and settings.

Device #2 Surface Pro - Was not able to upgrade because I wasn't getting the "keep settings, files, and apps" option.

Device #3 Custom built desktop - Was not able to upgrade because I wasn't getting the "keep settings, files, and apps" option.

Device #4 Custom built desktop - Was not able to upgrade because I wasn't getting the "keep settings, files, and apps" option.

Device #5 Samsung Ultrabook - Ran the update, also did not get the "keep settings, files, and apps" option, but went ahead and upgraded with the "keep files" option. Have to reinstall all applications again.

So has anyone else ran into the issue of not getting the "keep settings, files, and apps" option and was able to resolve it?

If there's no solution, for my two desktops and Surface Pro, I might have to wait until it releases through the Windows Store. I'm fine with that, but wouldn't mind having it now.

Thanks.

Davingtons

Sep 9, 2013
Visit site
I've heard similar to this, so I' m holding off updating until 8.1 is available in the store. I don't want to reinstall all my apps.

Stormageddon5

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
This can happen when trying to upgrade from one SKU to a different SKU (for example, Win 8 Enterprise to Win 8.1 Pro), or trying to upgrade from the 8.1 preview. Do either of those cases apply to you?

TeknoBlast

Jun 22, 2012
Visit site
Alright, so I was able to install WIN8.1 on my desktop. Here's what I did and it was a suggestion from another poster.

I created a file called ei.cfg with Notepad. In it is the following:

[EditionID]
Professional
[Channel]
Retail
[VL]

Just like above. That's all. Then placed that file into the Sources folder of the install files. I kicked off the installation as normal and finally I was able to get the "keep apps, settings, and files" option. Once selected, you get to a point where it asks you for a Serial Key. If you don't have one and forgot to right it down, don't worry, you can skip that part. Continue as normal with the installation and within 30 minutes or so, you're done.

Once you have your Serial Key, you'll need to go to the Computer properties to activate Windows.

That's it and you've just upgraded to Windows 8.1 RTM without losing any data or applications.

However, there's always a however. You'll noticed in desktop mode that there's a watermark that states "Windows 8.1 Pro SecureBoot isn't configured correctly Build 9600." Some of you might get this watermark, some may not

I haven't figured out how to get rid of that. I messed with my settings but nothing.

Since I got that watermark, I don't know if I'll get the same with my Surface, so I think I'll wait to upgrade when the Windows Store provides it.

Hope this helps some of you.

TeknoBlast

Jun 22, 2012
Visit site
Looks like the watermark has to do with my graphics card. When I changed some settings in my BIOS, it states that my GPU does not have GOP (graphics output protocol) since my GPU is a non-Windows 8 Logo GPU, so I'm not able to enable some Windows 8 features in my BIOS.

kishorekumar_a

Feb 22, 2012
Visit site
So last night I downloaded Windows 8.1 RTM. I have several Windows 8 machines I wanted to upgrade.

Device #1: Acer W3 810 - No issues what so ever. I upgraded in-place and I was able to keep all my applications and settings.

Device #2 Surface Pro - Was not able to upgrade because I wasn't getting the "keep settings, files, and apps" option.

Device #3 Custom built desktop - Was not able to upgrade because I wasn't getting the "keep settings, files, and apps" option.

Device #4 Custom built desktop - Was not able to upgrade because I wasn't getting the "keep settings, files, and apps" option.

Device #5 Samsung Ultrabook - Ran the update, also did not get the "keep settings, files, and apps" option, but went ahead and upgraded with the "keep files" option. Have to reinstall all applications again.

So has anyone else ran into the issue of not getting the "keep settings, files, and apps" option and was able to resolve it?

If there's no solution, for my two desktops and Surface Pro, I might have to wait until it releases through the Windows Store. I'm fine with that, but wouldn't mind having it now.

Thanks.

Go to ISO file and open with program such as PowerISO or UltraISO. Open 'sources' folder. Find file 'cversion.ini' and open with notepad. Replace version '9468.0' or whatever it is showing with '9431.0'. Save file on desktop. Drag and drop file into PowerISO into 'sources' folder. Save the ISO image. Write this image in USB or CD and use for installation.

You can even simply delete the 'cversion.ini' file and use the image...

maj71303

May 11, 2012
Visit site
I've got two custom built PC's and got to keep all the settings and stuff option so i'm at a lost of why it didn't offer it to you. I guess if you installed the preview then that might be the case as it was said that if you did you would have to install everything over from scratch. I installed the preview but reverted my PC's back from an saved image. Secure boot gives huge problems and was never able to be done on my PC's.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa