My (small) Gripes with Windows Phone 8

kriz225

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
As a long-time Android user who switched over to a Nokia Lumia 928 about 3 weeks ago, I can honestly say that I do not regret the switch one bit. However, having come from a long line of Android phones (HTC Hero > HTC Evo Shift > HTC Evo 3D) to the 928 I have a few gripes that I can't quite come to terms with.

Notifications?

It's not what it sounds like, really! I actually thought that a centralized notifications menu would be my biggest gripe with WP8. To my surprise, I actually like not having one. Gone are the days of being enslaved to clearing all those pesky notifications just to keep the space clutter free. Now I just organize my tiles and respond to them with varying levels of urgency.

So, what do I mean then? Well, with Android the "notification area" at the top of the screen is persistent across all applications. While I don't really care for the actual notifications themselves I hate that most apps prevent me from seeing my battery level, WiFi and mobile network state, etc.

No Picture Password

This is something that disappointed me right away. Picture password is something that I'm a big fan of on my desktop PC. I don't want to have to type a password every time I want to get into my desktop, but having a password means my 2 year old can't get in and mess with stuff when the mood strikes her. Cue in picture password! I'd love for this to be available in my phone, and am highly disappointed that it isn't.

Oversimplified Volume Controls

Simplified is a word I'd use often if describing Windows Phone 8 when coming from Android. In almost every instance this is a very welcome change. Most tasks are made much more enjoyable by this. Volume control is not one of them. Android has a volume menu within settings that allows you to independently set the volume level for different activities such as your ringtone and media playback. I really hate that WP8 doesn't have similar functionality. It may seem silly, but for someone who likes to have his phone on vibrate so it doesn't go off at work but enjoys listening to podcasts from his phone via Bluetooth in the car it's annoying not to have a menu where I can ensure both levels are properly configured.

Internet Explorer's Problem with the Back Button

I don't really get this one. I'm on the internet, reading some interesting article, and spot a word I don't recognize. No biggie, I press the search button and in a few taps Bing has the answer. Great! Now I get back to my article, finish reading it, and press back expecting to return to the original Bing search the article came from... only to find that I'm taken to another app instead. Why this works this way, I will never know.

First Party Apps with Limited Functionality

Skype and Calendar are my biggest issues here. I thought integration with Skype would be both rich and seamless. Instead I've got an app that doesn't work as expected (won't show me online unless I'm actually looking at the app) and just doesn't feel as revolutionary as it should. While I admit I find the calendar to be more helpful than Google's version, it's missing features that are available to me in Outlook.com's web interface! Why can't I set an end time for recurring events? Why can't I color code events? There's some disparity on how e-mail works across the different platforms (Outlook.com, W8 app, WP8 app) also, which doesn't make a lot of sense.

/ENDRANT

To conclude, please don't take this as a hate post. That's by no means what I'm getting at here, I love my Lumia 928. I can't even conceive going back to Android after using it. It's just that I feel like there's some really basic, and admittedly small, functionality issues that can be quite irritating.

NOTE: Please don't move this back to the "what WP needs to succeed" post. It isn't my intention to state that these are must-have features that are linked to the OS' success. I'm merely mentioning some gripes of a new comer with the system in hopes to discuss with the community and hear from those who share in my issues or have maybe found ways around them. I may have posted it under the wrong subforum before, but I feel like this is perfectly acceptable discussion material that doesn't need to be shoved away in a 14-page unending thread people won't read.

Noahma

Dec 25, 2012
Visit site
I agree with quite a bit of what you wrote. As you stated, small gripes. That seems to be the consensus. Its a great OS, but it just needs a bit more polish.

I agree with the notification bar on the top. I do like that it hides itself, but some apps wont let you pull down to view it.
Picture passwords would be great. Hopefully now that the windows team and windows phone team are working under the same division they can make it happen. In the past each division at Microsoft did things their way. The communication between teams was very minimal at best, and sometimes hostile. Things are now divided much better now so hopefully Windows and Windows phone will start to share more in common.
Internet explorer is a good app, but man if there were dedicated back and forward buttons In the app itself it would be much nicer. I do agree if you spend too much time on one page and press back it switches to your last open app. Pain in the ****.
The volume issues is one that is a "highly requested feature" and from what I read will be included in either GDR3, or 8.1"blue" We will see.

kriz225

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
The volume issues is one that is a "highly requested feature" and from what I read will be included in either GDR3, or 8.1"blue" We will see.

That would make me quite happy. One other thing I noticed while using my phone the other day is how the settings menu is organized in..... random order? Android does this too, but I would like for Windows Phone to use a better organizational pattern, like alphabetical. Settings seems to be the only part of the OS where I can't get in an out efficiently.

Doom At Last

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
You don't have to type in your word into Bing. You can highlight the word within the text then press the Bing button, it'll search the highlighted word for you.

You can sort of color code events, it's in the Calendar settings menu but you can't color code specific events.

I agree that IE needs to be revamped and the Volume control needs to be looked into.

Boris Lozac

Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
Do not use Facebook, but Whatsapp, Twitter, IM+ (for Gtalk) etc work flawlessly, actually really surprised how reliable they are compared to my old Android phone.

crash1989

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Do not use Facebook, but Whatsapp, Twitter, IM+ (for Gtalk) etc work flawlessly, actually really surprised how reliable they are compared to my old Android phone.

wut? I beg to differ, on a galaxy nexus whatsapp was better with notifications. I don't exactly know why the issues are arising but there is an inherent problem with WP notifications, if it were as good the ratings should reflect it, many users seem to have the same issues as me.

Boris Lozac

Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
Well sure, it could be random from phone to phone and country to country/carrier, like with that battery drain issue, but for me it works perfect.

Boris Lozac

Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
And btw i stopped trusting the ratings. According to ratings UC Browser is the next best thing since sliced bread, but for me it crashes like every 10 seconds.

kriz225

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
You don't have to type in your word into Bing. You can highlight the word within the text then press the Bing button, it'll search the highlighted word for you.

Yeah, I just found that out, thanks! However, that's not the issue. The problem I was illustrating is that any time you leave IE for another app and come back to IE the back button stops taking you to the previous webpage and instead takes you back to your previous app.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss