should we expect 64 bit WIndows Phones very soon??? from the NT kernel??

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
I know. 64 bit is a marketing term. But do you think that we should expect 64 bit Windows phones very soon??? correct me if i'm wrong but doesn't WP already support because the NT kernel supports. it if they do how come they haven't enabled it??

so do you think since Apple and soon Android do you think MS can simply just update WP and support it???

vakama94

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
Maybe in the next version of the OS, not 8.1, but certainly it won't be long 'til Microsoft makes some kind of announcement.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk 2

xconomicron

Sep 20, 2007
Visit site
I know. 64 bit is a marketing term. But do you think that we should expect 64 bit Windows phones very soon??? correct me if i'm wrong but doesn't WP already support because the NT kernel supports. it if they do how come they haven't enabled it??

so do you think since Apple and soon Android do you think MS can simply just update WP and support it???

64bit architecture is totally irrelevant for today's phone hardware because A) phones will never ship with more than 4GBs of RAM -if they do then that would be irrelevant as well B) almost 99% of the apps will have to be coded to take advantage of 64bit mode -developers are not going to want to do this unless you have an app that you think will take advantage of the 64bit architecture .... Fun fact: 3/4ths of desktop apps are 32bit still C) apps will be bigger in size if they are coded to utilize the 64bit architecture.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I'll add my voice to the naysayers.

64 Bit processors are not a requirement at this stage. Until there is a requirement for more RAM and apps can actually be programmed easily to utilize the 64 bit architecture there is simply no point. I don't see where phones need to get as powerful as a standard PC. As much as I love the idea of the full portable computer there are always limitations.

Need4Geek

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
Windows Phone runs smoothly on any CPU. I personally don't want a 64-bit nor a quad-core ARM processor in my next phone because it's not a PC or an Android. I want a smartphone that uses all of its internal components in a smart way. There's no need for extra power if the system doesn't require it.

1101x10

May 27, 2012
Visit site
The one advantage over iOS is that most of the Windows Phone apps are written in C# so will not need to be recompiled for 64 Bit as this is handled by the CLR.

poddie

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
Short term maybe, but long term definitely.

Its difficult to find a 32 bit PC these days, and the xbox is 64 bit. It Microsoft's vision is all apps, on all their platforms, it makes sense to have WP & RT on 64 bit to.

PCs and Xbox have a legitimate need for 64 bit: to support more than 4Gb of memory. There is only one WP with 2Gb memory, and that's to help process very large picture files (on the 1020).

Smartphones will eventually need more than 4Gb, but probably not for the next few years at least. And even when they do, the os will move to 64 bit, but most apps will still be 32 bit.

foxbat121

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site

Marketing BS aside, all the ARM processor in phones today are 32-bit only. You will have to wait for Qualcomm or Samsung etc. to product 64-bit ARM processors first before you will see 64-bit WP OS

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
If wp had done it first, the fans would be so smug...

As chips get more and more efficient, I say "why not?" And enjoy the faster photo editing, video editing, map loading, and increased battery life as it streams down.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
People seem to forget that 64bit actually slowed things down when it first came to PCs.. because apps are bigger so take longer to load, and for all the extra registers you add for 64bit support, 32bit apps can use them to make those run more efficiently.

The OS image is almost twice the size - so rather than taking up 2GB it would take 3-4GB, which when we have 8GB drives is a big decrease.

And when RAM is currently 512MB - 2GB, we're not really challenged there yet, and because of virtual memory, unless a process wants more than 4GB RAM individually, it's not an issue.

Before Apple released a 64bit processor, nobody cared one hoot about 64bit on a mobile device.

When Qualcomm releases 64bit processors, we'll see them in Windows Phones. Until then 32bit will be better from a power/performance and definitely price perspective.

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
Marketing BS aside, all the ARM processor in phones today are 32-bit only. You will have to wait for Qualcomm or Samsung etc. to product 64-bit ARM processors first before you will see 64-bit WP OS

Bingo!

It has nothing to do with MSFT at this time.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
64bit architecture is totally irrelevant for today's phone hardware because A) phones will never ship with more than 4GBs of RAM -if they do then that would be irrelevant as well B) almost 99% of the apps will have to be coded to take advantage of 64bit mode -developers are not going to want to do this unless you have an app that you think will take advantage of the 64bit architecture .... Fun fact: 3/4ths of desktop apps are 32bit still C) apps will be bigger in size if they are coded to utilize the 64bit architecture.

Quoting another famous American businessman, attributed to Bill Gates but was really IBM, "640 KB ought to be enough for anybody". The new Iphone will ship with a 64bit processor. With that OS, it stands to be REALLY awesome once apps are built to take advantage of it.

jlzimmerman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
64 bit is a gimmick. Apple just wanted to yell "first!"

Give them a cookie.
But as with many things, and totally oblivious to iSheep, Apple was not the first. The 2012 Huawei Ascend D had a 64 bit processor.

From: Huawei: Ascend D Quad is as powerful as a 64-bit PC | News | TechRadar
"While PCs now run at 64bit, most of our competitor's smartphones only run 32-bit processors. Huawei is proud to announce that its smartphone, the Ascend D Series runs at 64 bit."

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786