why are we still not getting major apps on wp8

kbilly70

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
The 'shareholders' will determine that for them. I'm not saying it's all doom and gloom I'm just giving an opinion. I'll say it very plainly now. If WP8.1 doesn't meet my very minor expectations I'm going to seriously consider moving platforms. Nothing against WP but I'm a little underwhelmed at the moment.

You're right, I just hope the shareholders don't take it out of MS's hands. I use WP for my work line and Android for my personal line so if WP were to fold it wouldn't be affect me much except that after using WP since November of last year, I find myself using Android less and less. WP is missing certain functionality that I would like to see, but none are a deal breaker for me.

Having said that, I can understand the frustration for some regarding apps and you make great points as to the reasons for app disparity. Hopefully that disparity will shrink and in a timely manner.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Having said that, I can understand the frustration for some regarding apps and you make great points as to the reasons for app disparity. Hopefully that disparity will shrink and in a timely manner.

On the whole WP works just fine for me. There's just some little bits here and there that bother me that I hope they fix.

As for apps it will always be the catch 22 of apps vs market share. They have to get the 'must have' apps on their platform, not 3rd party ones. I know the 3rd party ones are fine but it's about image. If they're aiming at the younger generation to take up WP then they're missing the mark, image is very important to younger people. Yes I am a bit on the older side.

Funky Cricket

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
"major".

a banking app for a small country is not major. USAA I can see, but even then. It's not like 30% of the US using USAA. I think most Major apps are available or 3rd party, or the mobile or full sites are well done. Targeted apps for customers on the other hand, even android doesn't always have them.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
"major".

a banking app for a small country is not major. USAA I can see, but even then. It's not like 30% of the US using USAA. I think most Major apps are available or 3rd party, or the mobile or full sites are well done. Targeted apps for customers on the other hand, even android doesn't always have them.
I never even heard of USAA until I joined this site. However, nobody in my family has any connection to the military. My family members who were veterans are deceased (Korea/WW2 era anyway). Nobody in my family has been in the military in the past 60 years.

As far as US banking apps, I'd say it would be good if we got the top 100 on the Federal Reserve list.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
The thing about USAA is that they HAD an app already - from back in WP7 days. I don't remember when it published, but I used it for at least a year before moving to an 822 on launch day, and even after that until I switched to my 928, because it was between those two dates that they pulled it. With WP8 it had the "bug" where it would store images of checks deposited through Deposit Mobile, both on phone and in SkyDrive, so it was a security issue. Wise to pull it, but not a difficult fix, and they could have republished it. USAA "claims" to be in service for veterans, but those of us who've used the app don't feel very "served."

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I asked my bank kiwibank.co.nz to consider building a wp8 app they said 0.005% of customers use windows phone so sorry but no we wont build one.

How do they know that if they haven't made an app?

Banks tend the be a little slow and backwards when it comes to technology. As a developer I would never work for a bank. It's too much torture.

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site
Yes they should, but using the 85/25/10 percents, is the return with it ? Not really, if a secure app and maintenance costs $100000 plus.

Would you switch all your personal and business banking, for an app ?

I wouldn't.

Yes, I would and I did switch all my personal and business banking for an app. I had US Bank, Citibank, and Capital One. None of them had Windows Phone apps, so I switched to Chase, Bank of America, and Wells Fargo instead. And I let all of my old banks and my new banks know why I switched. Depositing checks via a mobile app saves a lot of trips to the bank. If the former three don't want to provide me those services, then I'll switch to three that will, which I did.

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
Yes, I would and I did switch all my personal and business banking for an app. I had US Bank, Citibank, and Capital One. None of them had Windows Phone apps, so I switched to Chase, Bank of America, and Wells Fargo instead. And I let all of my old banks and my new banks know why I switched. Depositing checks via a mobile app saves a lot of trips to the bank. If the former three don't want to provide me those services, then I'll switch to three that will, which I did.

I appreciate your initiative. Six trips to banks and changing accounts doesn't sound like fun. I wonder how many others changed banks over an app.

bozza72

Feb 3, 2013
Visit site
ok my whineyness might be miner & yes i live in a small country (4mil) but the apps im complaining about get way too much iphone attention for my liking.

please spare 2 mins and ctrl c this into twitter & il do the same for any app/game/comany you want help with.

@NZStuff please can you update our windows phone 8 app #switch #showthelove @BarryMinister

@KiwibankNZ please can we have a windows phone 8 app #switch #showthelove :) @BarryMinister

Thank you in advance

Last edited:

trickym81

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site
This is the thing. What one person considers a "major app" might mean nothing for someone else. This is true for things like banking apps and also true for apps like Instagram. Some people don't care about them at all, but other people consider them crucial. You can't tell someone that an app they use frequently isn't important. It's important to them.

iOS and even Android have almost all of the apps that almost everyone would consider crucial. Windows Phone has some of them, but not all. As long as some of them are lacking, some people won't want to use Windows Phone.

vish2801

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
Well, I think apps like Pandora, Netflix,etc are not big deal for users of countries where Nokia and so WP has presence. MS should seriously consider what those users actually want, feature wise and app wise. It's sad to see that Joe Belfiore didn't know that Bluetooth file transfer is big deal for people outside US. WP8 still can't send any video file via Bluetooth. Well, I don't think people at Redmond who develop WP do know what people actually want, otherwise they wouldn't have copied iCrap. I hope Nokia engineers would make some difference unless most of them resign due to idiotic internal politics and slowness of MS.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site
I appreciate your initiative. Six trips to banks and changing accounts doesn't sound like fun. I wonder how many others changed banks over an app.

Well, think of it this way: if I get a lot of checks that I want deposited soon but my bank doesn't have a mobile app for me to use, that means I have to make a lot of trips to the bank to deposit the checks. Or, I could make 1 final trip each to close the account and 1 new trip each to make a new one, and then I never have to make a trip to the bank ever again. That is, I was already making a ton of trips to the bank. Now I'm making none.

That said, some banks allow you to close accounts by phone or mail. However, most people probably don't have 3 accounts, so if they only had 1 bank, that would be an easy 2 trips to the bank (1 to close, 1 to open).

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
Well, think of it this way: if I get a lot of checks that I want deposited soon but my bank doesn't have a mobile app for me to use, that means I have to make a lot of trips to the bank to deposit the checks. Or, I could make 1 final trip each to close the account and 1 new trip each to make a new one, and then I never have to make a trip to the bank ever again. That is, I was already making a ton of trips to the bank. Now I'm making none.

That said, some banks allow you to close accounts by phone or mail. However, most people probably don't have 3 accounts, so if they only had 1 bank, that would be an easy 2 trips to the bank (1 to close, 1 to open).

actually, thanks to you i'm looking into what's available from -my- bank now vs others. scanning checks and transfers via NFC sounds like a hoot of a way to do things. i can't stand the paper unless it's cash ;-)

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site

Or you could make one trip to one store and buy a phone that has the bank apps you're wishing for. The only problem is, that would not be a WP! :cry:

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site
Or you could make one trip to one store and buy a phone that has the bank apps you're wishing for. The only problem is, that would not be a WP! :cry:

Ironically, while I would and did switch banks because they don't have an app for my Windows Phone, I absolutely wouldn't switch from Windows Phone to another OS just to have a mobile app for my bank. This is because, while I use my bank a lot, I don't use it nearly as much as my phone, which I use almost all day long, every day. So, I would never trade in a superior mobile operating system (Windows Phone) for a lesser OS (iOS and particularly Android, which is just an awful, awful OS).

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
Ironically, while I would and did switch banks because they don't have an app for my Windows Phone, I absolutely wouldn't switch from Windows Phone to another OS just to have a mobile app for my bank. This is because, while I use my bank a lot, I don't use it nearly as much as my phone, which I use almost all day long, every day. So, I would never trade in a superior mobile operating system (Windows Phone) for a lesser OS (iOS and particularly Android, which is just an awful, awful OS).

I keep hearing that from the wp folks here, but haven't seen anyone say it in real life, about android or iOS.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb