why are we still not getting major apps on wp8

API_Rock

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
In India we have all the top Banking Apps, even now Indian Railway Launched APP only for WP (its still missing on Android or iPhone), so WP is getting good customer here.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
The reason why apps are slow coming is due to several factors.

1. Microsoft and Windows Phone have an image problem. They've both been dissed constantly on tech review sites. Steve Balmer hasn't helped the image and if Elop becomes CEO he won't help either. Get proper media friendly people. It's the same reason why Tim Cook is screwing up the Apple image.
2. Most of the app developers hired by companies only know Apple and then reluctantly know Android next due to it's popularity. WP is a total unknown and since most companies still believe it's a 'small' market, they can't be bothered spending any money on app development.
3. Having several large companies state to media that they have no plans to make apps for WP doesn't send a good message to other companies. It reduces the idea of value in their eyes of the platform.
4. The largest take up are typically in small markets. The only exception is Russia.
5. Until WP reaches 10-20% world wide you will still continue to have these issues.
6. Let's face it, WP does have a lot of problems with the OS and hardware. This makes people angry and leave the platform.
7. Give it to WP8.1 and if MS screw it up go to another platform because WP will be dead anyway.

chmun77

May 27, 2011
Visit site
I think people are not ready to accept tiles as their home screens yet. Just like how they reject Windows 8 with the new start screen. They do not find themed colors squares and rectangles attractive at all. Some of my friends even asked me why WP has such big useless banner on the top in the hubs.

I tried to intro Lumia to a friend who was looking for a new hand set. But can't convince him at all after he did some researches. Things like missing Candy crush, inflexibility to share any files, missing file manager, lousy music playlist creator, limited video codecs, etc actually turned him off. Now without great app support, how do MS expect people to jump onto the bandwagon? Without user base, developers will not be interested to make for Windows Phone. So this is a vicious cycle between Windows Phone and apps availability.

I think it will not be an easy path for WP to grow. Even adverts from Nokia is all nothing but funny ads about cameras. Take a look at Samsung Note 3 advert and it actually promote how one can make use of the stylus for their life styles. See how HTC talks about Zoe and boom sounds and ultra pixel. I hope MS will do better adverts now since Lumia is in their hands.

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
I categorise these as "local" apps, and they are often overlooked. The US-dominated tech bubble can be too focused on playing up the latest social network or novelty app, rather than functionality which has actual use.

15% of sales in a quarter does not equate to 15% of people owning a device. That said, 0.005% sounds like baloney.

bozza72

Feb 3, 2013
Visit site
Reply from kiwi bank
"Kiwibank
Hi Barry, we are keeping an eye on Windows Phone access to our public site (not the part accessed by our customers, but the part that's accessed mainly by prospects). Windows Phone traffic is on the up, but I'm afraid it still makes up only 1% of the traffic (v. iPhones and Android phones which each account for more than 10%). I can't really comment on what process ASB has for deciding where to spend their development budget, but our process is based on fairly stringent business requirements, and we're just not there yet. Sorry. ^RM"

Can anyone translate that into non bank speck ??

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
^^ this;

It is no wonder WP is suffering when Microsoft has better support for iOS and Android apps than for their own WP platform ones.

I think this goes along the lines that WP OS is very immature and has 'issues' that need resolving, quite possibly API issues, whereas iOS and Android are a lot more mature and can be programmed better due to their APIs. I need only point to the Facebook app as another example of this issue. Then point out the toast notification issues and you see where I'm heading. There's obvious problems somewhere which is why Skype and other MS programs work better on other platforms than their own.

This will hopefully be resolved in GDR3 and then WP8.1. If not then I don't know what to think anymore.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Reply from kiwi bank
"Kiwibank
Hi Barry, we are keeping an eye on Windows Phone access to our public site (not the part accessed by our customers, but the part that's accessed mainly by prospects). Windows Phone traffic is on the up, but I'm afraid it still makes up only 1% of the traffic (v. iPhones and Android phones which each account for more than 10%). I can't really comment on what process ASB has for deciding where to spend their development budget, but our process is based on fairly stringent business requirements, and we're just not there yet. Sorry. ^RM"

Can anyone translate that into non bank speck ??

It basically means don't hold your breath waiting for an app because it's not coming anytime soon. Probably the only way that would change is if the 15% market share that WP has in NZ was using that bank and demanded an app.

Since only 1% of WP owners even wander onto their website it gives the indication there's no market for their app. So no money spent on it.

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
.005%? Tell them that 15% of the New Zealand market is on Windows Phone, which was just reported here at WPcentral today. That seems like a lot of potential customers they are alienating.

It doesn't matter if there are 85% of folks using the platform, if they don't use that bank.. they are not counted.

85% use some platform
50% of that group use mobile browser to access bank site
25% of that group actually install the app (were down to 12% of all users by now) and only 10% of those do it daily.... So yes, there is little demand.

techiez

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
I think this goes along the lines that WP OS is very immature and has 'issues' that need resolving, quite possibly API issues, whereas iOS and Android are a lot more mature and can be programmed better due to their APIs. I need only point to the Facebook app as another example of this issue. Then point out the toast notification issues and you see where I'm heading. There's obvious problems somewhere which is why Skype and other MS programs work better on other platforms than their own.

This will hopefully be resolved in GDR3 and then WP8.1. If not then I don't know what to think anymore.

cant agree more. bang on target

montsa007

Ambassador
Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
WP needs to rebrand.

iWP would be very popular.

:/, how about Wphone or Wapple?

Manufacturers need to come up with good devices and do aggressive marketing, I haven't seen a single advert for Lumia 720 in my country.

There had been tons of ads for 520,620,625,920 (820 was included in that) & now 925, absolutely nothing for 720.

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site
It doesn't matter if there are 85% of folks using the platform, if they don't use that bank.. they are not counted.

85% use some platform
50% of that group use mobile browser to access bank site
25% of that group actually install the app (were down to 12% of all users by now) and only 10% of those do it daily.... So yes, there is little demand.

This is a chicken-and-egg dilemma. Users are likely there, wanting an app, but most don't care enough, it perhaps don't know how to, complain that there isn't one, so they don't use anything, including said bank's likely poor mobile web version substitute. I know that is the case with several mobile users, including myself. Moreover, not having the app not only detracts current customers from using your banking services, but it discourages potential customers as well. Thus, the bank's argument against WP adoption is a poor business strategy given the platform's impressive growth in NZ. 15% of the market use WP means that 15% of the population has no incentive to use this bank's services. And any good business, particularly a bank, should have as its goal to attract new customers and keep current ones.

nohra

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
We're just not that important to major companies. Which gives us two options, accept it and keep asking for them, or only do business with companies that are willing to work with WP platform.

Some people are just totally clueless. I asked about a WP app from a company once, and they actually told me that their IT people said the android app would work on my phone... Wow! Um, no it won't. :angry:

That is by far the biggest thing I run into is that people just don't know what I'm referring to by Windows Phone, or they assume it's Android.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ayven