why are we still not getting major apps on wp8

thomas wojcik

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
Money, money, money, it's always money. Until enough people have and use this phone it makes no sense to waste money on apps. Microsoft now needs to figure out a way to cut pricing on these phones even more to get them in the consumers hands. Maybe a bundle with a new xbox and a free phone.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
You nailed it. Need to increase market share for apps to be built. Need apps to be built to increaes market share. Like you said... chicken or the egg.

And it's not just major apps. The little ones are just as important.

If these 10,000 people use some little bank app, and those 10,000 people use some little photo editing app, and those 10,000 use some little cooking app what you end up with a whole bunch of people who won't get on the platform because of their little app, that while minor, is considered critical for them.

It's death by 1000 cuts.

You're right about the bank's choice to still ignore WP if it has 15% market share in NZ. Besides, unless the bank is being run by monkeys, they should be loaded anyway.. it's a bank. Just make a damn app. :)

This is a chicken-and-egg dilemma. Users are likely there, wanting an app, but most don't care enough, it perhaps don't know how to, complain that there isn't one, so they don't use anything, including said bank's likely poor mobile web version substitute. I know that is the case with several mobile users, including myself. Moreover, not having the app not only detracts current customers from using your banking services, but it discourages potential customers as well. Thus, the bank's argument against WP adoption is a poor business strategy given the platform's impressive growth in NZ. 15% of the market use WP means that 15% of the population has no incentive to use this bank's services. And any good business, particularly a bank, should have as its goal to attract new customers and keep current ones.

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site
What I do is I only support, whenever possible, companies that support Windows Phone, and Windows 8/RT. For instance, my banks (US Bank, Citi, and Capital One 360) don't have apps for either platform, but their competitors do: Chase, Bank of America, and Wells Fargo. So, what did I do? I checked out the latter three, chose two that met my needs, and canceled my accounts with the former three, explicitly telling them in my cancellations requests that I was switching to the other three because they offer services on the platforms I use. Once they start losing customers, and hear from those customers that that is the sole reason they are leaving, coupled with the undeniable growth of the platform, they'll more seriously consider making apps. So, if a competitor offers what you need and you don't lose too much changing over, then change over and let them know on both ends why you did (i.e., I also tell the new banks that I switched from Bank A to Bank B solely because they have a Windows Phone app).

MyNL822

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site
Why can't Microsoft offer some incentive for app developers so we can get more apps? Something like a free developer account, 20% more money back than you usually would, 1st published app gets listed for free. They could advertise how easy there beta process is since the app can be hidden and be allowed for certain live accounts to access it because an account is tied to a phone. The way they are working is just messed up. They are trying to put their focus on gaining new customers, but forget about old customers. A new customer could fall in love with the camera and the design of tiles will be disappointed after seeing the amount of apps and games. I'm pretty sure a majority of those people in those windows phone challenge commercial switches back to their original phones after seeing the app selection. I know I would NEVER move from the galaxy s4 to a windows phone. They need to work more on apps instead of new consumer base because their consumer base will not grow if they don't get more apps. So, why don't the try❓❕❔❗

trickym81

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site
I categorise these as "local" apps, and they are often overlooked. The US-dominated tech bubble can be too focused on playing up the latest social network or novelty app, rather than functionality which has actual use.

I agree. These "local" apps (banks, stores, movie theatres, etc.) are what's lacking on WP. Personally, I don't really play games and I mostly use Twitter, Facebook and Instagram for social networking. For those purposes, WP is great for me. However, I'd love if my bank had an app or if nearby grocery stores did, etc. Unfortunately, WP has very, very few users in Canada (where I live) and such, those local companies don't bother with WP apps.

Ultimateone

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Why can't Microsoft offer some incentive for app developers so we can get more apps? Something like a free developer account, 20% more money back than you usually would, 1st published app gets listed for free. They could advertise how easy there beta process is since the app can be hidden and be allowed for certain live accounts to access it because an account is tied to a phone. The way they are working is just messed up. They are trying to put their focus on gaining new customers, but forget about old customers. A new customer could fall in love with the camera and the design of tiles will be disappointed after seeing the amount of apps and games. I'm pretty sure a majority of those people in those windows phone challenge commercial switches back to their original phones after seeing the app selection. I know I would NEVER move from the galaxy s4 to a windows phone. They need to work more on apps instead of new consumer base because their consumer base will not grow if they don't get more apps. So, why don't the try❓❕❔❗
They do and have offered incentives, search around about it.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site

There are constantly promos of one sort or another, either by MS or Nokia, to get what you're asking for. You can download all the tools you need to develop for phone, free. When you get close to having a ready to publish app, if you contact your area's Nokia Developer Ambassador, you can get a free Nokia Premium Developer Program token. That includes resources on Nokia's site, a token for Telerik's RadControls for Windows Phone ($99 value), token for Buddy (don't remember the value), and there's something else I'm not thinking of at the moment. Oh - and two Nokia Support Tickets (I don't remember how much, but not cheap). Free. Need to test it on a phone before publishing? Nokia has real phones set up somehow that you can access online. Not emulators, but real phones. Still not good enough? Make a case to your Ambassador, and he can get you a loaner. Publish your first app? He'll give you a free Lumia 800.

Join the DVLUP program, and earn points for what you develop, and get merchandise for those points. I got six RED wireless charging backs for Lumia 822. My wife has one on her 822 and I sold the rest on ebay, for more than retail (because you can't get the red backs anywhere else - at least that I know of).

Area Nokia Ambassadors run their own promos for developers that live in their assigned regions. Rich Dunbar, leader of Nokia's Ambassador program, runs promos for all developers in the Nokia PDP program (at least those who contact him to participate).

That's not to mention the Microsoft programs. I've gotten $200 in gift cards from MS just for updating a couple apps this summer. I don't remember what the promo is right now, but MS is running a promo as we speak.

There's no shortage of promos for developers on Windows Phone. And did I mention that I can write an app, get DVLUP points, use the same app to enter one of the Ambassador's drawings, and then turn around and get the MS promo, again, for the same app???

No, there's plenty of promo'ing going on for developers when it comes to Windows Phone. And you can develop for the phone with .NET... Either VB.NET or C#. There are TONS of .NET programmers in the world. So there's no shortage of developers who know the languages required. It's just a matter of convincing them that it is worth their time to 1) learn the design language, and 2) write an app. And both MS and Nokia are working on it. The word is out.

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
The reason why apps are slow coming is due to several factors.

1. Microsoft and Windows Phone have an image problem. They've both been dissed constantly on tech review sites. Steve Balmer hasn't helped the image and if Elop becomes CEO he won't help either. Get proper media friendly people. It's the same reason why Tim Cook is screwing up the Apple image.
2. Most of the app developers hired by companies only know Apple and then reluctantly know Android next due to it's popularity. WP is a total unknown and since most companies still believe it's a 'small' market, they can't be bothered spending any money on app development.
3. Having several large companies state to media that they have no plans to make apps for WP doesn't send a good message to other companies. It reduces the idea of value in their eyes of the platform.
4. The largest take up are typically in small markets. The only exception is Russia.
5. Until WP reaches 10-20% world wide you will still continue to have these issues.
6. Let's face it, WP does have a lot of problems with the OS and hardware. This makes people angry and leave the platform.
7. Give it to WP8.1 and if MS screw it up go to another platform because WP will be dead anyway.

Not sure if I agree with most of your points. This a marathon, not a sprint.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Not sure if I agree with most of your points. This a marathon, not a sprint.

I never said anything about speed. Just saying it like I see it. If WP8.1 is a giant stuff up and all the media bags it to death then I don't really see a future for WP. That's just an opinion though. I don't see them stuffing it up. However they do need to get the app thing sorted. Bad press is bad press and it has to stop.

Regardless of how much money MS or Nokia has put into this, how long being only 3-5% market share do you finally say maybe it isn't working? I can tell you right now, shareholders will not be happy unless the market share continues to grow and grow in the right markets. Currently that isn't happening.

EZJ

Sep 5, 2013
Visit site
I am seeing WP commercials just about every commercial break here in the states.

This has always been an issue about WP in my opinion. Microsoft just focusses way too much on only US. Where other companies look at the whole world.

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
This is a chicken-and-egg dilemma. Users are likely there, wanting an app, but most don't care enough, it perhaps don't know how to, complain that there isn't one, so they don't use anything, including said bank's likely poor mobile web version substitute. I know that is the case with several mobile users, including myself. Moreover, not having the app not only detracts current customers from using your banking services, but it discourages potential customers as well. Thus, the bank's argument against WP adoption is a poor business strategy given the platform's impressive growth in NZ. 15% of the market use WP means that 15% of the population has no incentive to use this bank's services. And any good business, particularly a bank, should have as its goal to attract new customers and keep current ones.

Yes they should, but using the 85/25/10 percents, is the return with it ? Not really, if a secure app and maintenance costs $100000 plus.

Would you switch all your personal and business banking, for an app ?

I wouldn't.

hagjohn

Sep 15, 2013
Visit site
I agree with a lot that's been said. I think tomorrow, when people install iOS 7 on their iPhones, they will be wondering why Rainbow Bright threw up on their phone. Hopefully, wp can attract those, like myself, who didn't like what they saw.

firewall2302

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
This has always been an issue about WP in my opinion. Microsoft just focusses way too much on only US. Where other companies look at the whole world.

In terms of the Smartphone market, I believe the US is the second largest market in 2013 sales after China. I wouldn't say that they should bet the farm on the US due to the popularity of the iHerd here in the States but I would still put quite a bit of emphasis on it.

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
windows phone 8 is still falling way behind with the building of apps & im getting more and more rejections when i ask for apps to be upgraded or built.

I asked my bank kiwibank.co.nz to consider building a wp8 app they said 0.005% of customers use windows phone so sorry but no we wont build one.

Ive also been asking a New Zealand news agency to upgrade there app and include a live tile. to day fairfax media (stuff.co.nz) sent me this reply

what do we have to do to get these apps ??/

I would just tell you this, "Now is not the time to give up".

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site
Reply from kiwi bank
"Kiwibank
Hi Barry, we are keeping an eye on Windows Phone access to our public site (not the part accessed by our customers, but the part that's accessed mainly by prospects). Windows Phone traffic is on the up, but I'm afraid it still makes up only 1% of the traffic (v. iPhones and Android phones which each account for more than 10%). I can't really comment on what process ASB has for deciding where to spend their development budget, but our process is based on fairly stringent business requirements, and we're just not there yet. Sorry. ^RM"

Can anyone translate that into non bank speck ??

What's their website? We can start a campaign where Windows Phone users simply have to access their site a few times a week on their phones. That might help (unless they notice most of them are coming from outside NZ.

bozza72

Feb 3, 2013
Visit site
What's their website? We can start a campaign where Windows Phone users simply have to access their site a few times a week on their phones. That might help (unless they notice most of them are coming from outside NZ.

Now this is a good idea, ive seen plenty others here asking the same thing as me, so maybe we should add a sticky with a list of websites to visit and organisations to prod/poke

website to visit is kiwibank.co.nz

organisation to poke https://www.facebook.com/Stuff.co.nz?fref=ts

Last edited:

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Now this is a good idea, ive seen plenty others here asking the same thing as me, so maybe we should add a sticky with a list of websites to visit and organisations to prod/poke

website to visit is kiwibank.co.nz

organisation to poke https://www.facebook.com/Stuff.co.nz?fref=ts

Not to burst your bubble and not to say 'give up' but there is a slight issue with your plan.

First, any website traffic monitor knows where people come from. I know where all the traffic comes from to mine so I can't see theirs being any different.

Second, we have to deal with the stats they already know. They know how many people use their bank and what percentage of the population that is. They would then compare it to the stats of WP. Taking in a factor that not all people who own a WP will be their customer vs the amount of local traffic to their site and they'll come up with an idea of viability of whether or not it's 'worth it' to to make an app. What value does it add to their bank, etc. It's standard business practice to have a means of justification.

Yes they are banks, yes they probably have the money but making a good banking apps, taking into consideration the security, is probably a little different than your average app.

kbilly70

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
7. Give it to WP8.1 and if MS screw it up go to another platform because WP will be dead anyway.

I think it comes down to what market share is acceptable/sustainable before MS would pull the plug. Historically, MS seems to look at the long game. If they do in the case of WP8 I think the potential is there for a lot of success.

At least I hope they don't give up as I just can't go back to using the keyboard on Android or iOS. :wink:

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I think it comes down to what market share is acceptable/sustainable before MS would pull the plug. Historically, MS seems to look at the long game. If they do in the case of WP8 I think the potential is there for a lot of success.

At least I hope they don't give up as I just can't go back to using the keyboard on Android or iOS. :wink:

The 'shareholders' will determine that for them. I'm not saying it's all doom and gloom I'm just giving an opinion. I'll say it very plainly now. If WP8.1 doesn't meet my very minor expectations I'm going to seriously consider moving platforms. Nothing against WP but I'm a little underwhelmed at the moment.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05