Microsoft should learn from Apple how to release OS updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

marcomura

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Regarding the iOS 7 release time:
"Apple seems to like to do things at around 1pm Eastern, 10am Pacific"

15 minutes ago... and guess what? I'm already downloading it!
No approvals needed by carries, no batches relases...
It isn't hard, is it?

xumit

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
Regarding the iOS 7 release time:
"Apple seems to like to do things at around 1pm Eastern, 10am Pacific"

15 minutes ago... and guess what? I'm already downloading it!
No approvals needed by carries, no batches relases...
It isn't hard, is it?

you are right and i agree it should be as easy as that. But apple has only 1 phone to release updates for and msft has many in phones with different specifications in many countries on many carriers. So it makes the job bit difficult for them.

Also MSFT is not the manufacturer whereas apple is. Manufacturers apply their updates on updates by msft and hence whole procedure takes time.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Its also a lot easier to push updates out when.
1. You have a whole year to get said update ready
2. You have the carriers by the balls
3. The phone models you push it out to are practically the same for the last 4 years.
4. You have no OEMs to go through.

marcomura

May 28, 2013
Visit site
you are right and i agree it should be as easy as that. But apple has only 1 phone to release updates for and msft has many in phones with different specifications in many countries on many carriers. So it makes the job bit difficult for them.

Also MSFT is not the manufacturer whereas apple is. Manufacturers apply their updates on updates by msft and hence whole procedure takes time.
Yes, it may justify why MS need the carriers approval before releasing an update for a specific model.
But why releasing the updates in batches for the same model & carrier?

I have a Lumia 920 unlocked/unbranded and I haven't received the GDR2 yet... as soon as the update is ready for one Lumia 920, it MUST be ready for all Lumia 920.
This is unacceptable.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Yes, it may justify why MS need the carriers approval before releasing an update for a specific model.
But why releasing the updates in batches for the same model & carrier?

I have a Lumia 920 unlocked/unbranded and I haven't received the GDR2 yet... as soon as the update is ready for one Lumia 920, it MUST be ready for all Lumia 920.
This is unacceptable.

Yeah - just a heads up - if your unlocked & unbranded your GDR2 is waiting for you on navifirm.

zorb58

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
It's all about market share. If Microsoft were selling the number of phones that Apple does, things would be different. I think that's why we see Nokia's absurd exclusivity here in the states on AT&T... because AT&T says, "make your phone exclusive to us for ___ months or go screw yourself."

See, Nokia NEEDS the carriers while the carriers NEED Apple.

The carriers are nothing more than dumb pipes holding on to what waning power they have left.

marcomura

May 28, 2013
Visit site
I didn't pay 600 euro to update my phone with unofficial tools...
Also, I don't want to lose the apps' isolated storage (that, thanks to Microsoft, is not backupable).

Kellzea

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
Apple strong armed the carriers into that agreement, it will.never, ever, ever happen again. If ms or indeed google or Sammy told at&t that they would handle the updates, at&t just wouldn't carry the phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett