How to change DNS server

tsk1979

Aug 31, 2013
Visit site
My home WIFI router has a problem where sometimes the DNS resolver stops working. So when you try to go to a site, it does not work, but you can go to IP adress. On my galaxy note and on my windows 7 desktop, I simply gave google/opendns for connections and things are fine.
However, on the Lumia 520, when I long press wireless network, all the DNS and IP options are greyed out.
I cannot specify DNS server.
Is there a workaround available? I am ready to go "root" or Jailbreak as you call it.
I want to set google dns (8.8.8.8/8.8.8.4) so that I do not face this issue.

Ali Babba

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Theres no way to manually set the IP address or DNS server information on WP. Why don't you just have your wifi router give out google's DNS servers to the clients?

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
My home WIFI router has a problem where sometimes the DNS resolver stops working. So when you try to go to a site, it does not work, but you can go to IP adress. On my galaxy note and on my windows 7 desktop, I simply gave google/opendns for connections and things are fine.
However, on the Lumia 520, when I long press wireless network, all the DNS and IP options are greyed out.
I cannot specify DNS server.
Is there a workaround available? I am ready to go "root" or Jailbreak as you call it.
I want to set google dns (8.8.8.8/8.8.8.4) so that I do not face this issue.

Why not fix the router problem instead of mucking with the phones and laptop? If it's a router from a provider (like Virgin, etc) they should replace it or have a technician fix it. If it's your own, find out if there's a new firmware update for it or reinstall the current one. If it's still under warranty, send it back. If it's old, maybe it's time to buy a new one.

There's no need to keep avoiding this issue and entering IP address just so you can get on the web. That's just silly. Routers are not that expensive these days.

tsk1979

Aug 31, 2013
Visit site
Why not fix the router problem instead of mucking with the phones and laptop? If it's a router from a provider (like Virgin, etc) they should replace it or have a technician fix it. If it's your own, find out if there's a new firmware update for it or reinstall the current one. If it's still under warranty, send it back. If it's old, maybe it's time to buy a new one.

There's no need to keep avoiding this issue and entering IP address just so you can get on the web. That's just silly. Routers are not that expensive these days.
I am in India, and I have set google 8.8.8.4 in the router. This model of routers has this issue sometimes and it goes away if you reboot the router.

That said, manual static IP with manual DNS is important because my work network has fixed IPs defined by MAC address. So I have to set that IP. Without setting IP statically I cannot connect to my work network.
But I use the note there, so this problem is not hitting me.

That said, I found it odd that a modern OS does not have provision for static IP

foxbat121

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
That said, I found it odd that a modern OS does not have provision for static IP

The OS does but there is no UI for it. Modern OS is all about simplicity (to end user). If you put a configuration of static IP and DNS, 99% of the user have no clue what that is for and even worse, if they mess with it with wrong values, the phone will no longer functioning properly.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I am in India, and I have set google 8.8.8.4 in the router. This model of routers has this issue sometimes and it goes away if you reboot the router.

That said, manual static IP with manual DNS is important because my work network has fixed IPs defined by MAC address. So I have to set that IP. Without setting IP statically I cannot connect to my work network.
But I use the note there, so this problem is not hitting me.

I have to say you guys down in India seem to have a lot of 'different' requirements compared to everywhere else.

I did some research, as one does, it would appear that maybe GDR3 or not until WP8.1 will something like this be available. Keep in mind that WP8 was half baked at release and is a OS that is very immature in a lot of ways. I think MS is learning that things need to change but change takes time. That's not an excuse by the way. I think MS was mostly concentrating on what the 'majority' of people would require and this is why things are the way they are. It's not perfect but it's a starting point.

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Foxbat, if a 'modern' OS is all about simplicity then why make it impossible to connect to a network in the simplest way (a simple static IP) and only allow a connection if the user is prepared to run a DHCP server which is an inherently more complex requirement? Networking is, I am afraid, not simple. If it is policy to ban users from such confusing aspects then networking would be as banned as allowing a file explorer, so users can't spoil things. Well, I wouldn't put that past Nokisoft though, so perhaps in GDR3 or 8.1 they will simplify the system enough so users don't have this feature at all.

foxbat121

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Foxbat, if a 'modern' OS is all about simplicity then why make it impossible to connect to a network in the simplest way (a simple static IP) and only allow a connection if the user is prepared to run a DHCP server which is an inherently more complex requirement? Networking is, I am afraid, not simple. If it is policy to ban users from such confusing aspects then networking would be as banned as allowing a file explorer, so users can't spoil things. Well, I wouldn't put that past Nokisoft though, so perhaps in GDR3 or 8.1 they will simplify the system enough so users don't have this feature at all.

You have it backwards. Most ppl have a router at home and DHCP enabled. Only 1% of diehards like to disable DHCP and configure static IP addresses on all your devices and make sure they are all configured correctly and non-overlapping. It's not as simple as you stated.

Configured a static IP is 100x more complicated than plug-n-play nature of DHCP. It requires intimate knowledge of networking.

mjrtoo

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
Most routers these days can do IP reservations once it's been assigned a DHCP address, so it gets assigned the same IP within the DHCP pool. To address the static IP question anyway, DNS is another router setting....

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
You have it backwards. Most ppl have a router at home and DHCP enabled. Only 1% of diehards like to disable DHCP and configure static IP addresses on all your devices and make sure they are all configured correctly and non-overlapping. It's not as simple as you stated.

Configured a static IP is 100x more complicated than plug-n-play nature of DHCP. It requires intimate knowledge of networking.
Here in the US, one cannot get static IP addresses from most broadband providers without subscribing to a business Internet plan. Home service does not allow static IPs.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb