Most of the Official Apps are crap..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abhinand Jinugu

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
Got a new Lumia 925 recently ..after using IPhone for a year(had Lumia 800 before). Quickly downloaded some of the popular official apps and felt the app situation is much much better now. However it took no time for me to realize how WP is being mistreated by the opportunistic developers. All most all of the official apps are crap, either they don't work or miss the main features compared to the ones from in other platforms.

e.g:
Speedtest
Adobe reader
Facebook
Fandango
Foursquare
Pageonce
Realtor
Zillow
Spotify
Youtube
Bible
Tumblr
Yelp
Groupon
Dial91

we are so preoccupied with the Instagram alternatives... what about the rest?? things are only getting messier
the "Quality over Quantity" things just seems to be a ruse...

Lenin17301

Oct 14, 2012
Visit site
Speedtest - Network Speed Test
Adobe reader - Office PDF Reaer
Facebook - No alternatives there, but apparently it will get improved sooner rather than later
Fandango - Don't use that app, don't know if there is a 3rd party alternative
Foursquare - 4th & Mayor
Pageonce - Don't use that app, don't know if there is a 3rd party alternative
Realtor - Don't use that app, don't know if there is a 3rd party alternative
Zillow - Don't use that app, don't know if there is a 3rd party alternative
Spotify - I've read is not that crappy, but I don't use it so I'm not sure
Youtube - Metrotube
Bible - No idea here
Tumblr - Blueprints
Yelp -Don't use that app, don't know if there is a 3rd party alternative
Groupon - It was a launch app for WP8, and got hyped a lot, I'm amazed you say its crap
Dial91 -Don't use that app, don't know if there is a 3rd party alternative

crash1989

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Sadly, I agree. The quality has been lacking for certain apps. I don't know if it is intentional by developers or they are not putting in effort with the go-to reason these days about marketshare and usage.

Some of the apps you mention have development based in US AFAIK, it seems to be that they might be considering US to be their primary market where I have no concrete idea why Windows Phone wont grow where as in markets like India, South East Asia, Middle East and else where it has seen very good growth.
Even if ppl in US only buy Mid to high end devices is a 1020 so inferior to iPhone 5s or S4?

Abhinand Jinugu

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
Speedtest - Doesn't work at all
Adobe reader - There is no way you can share a pdf in a mail (talk about enterprise huh...)
Facebook - Why is the lag? this is not android
Fandango - Can't detect the location..
Foursquare - 4th & Mayor (whats the point in Nokia collaborating with the Foursquare team then?)
Pageonce - lacks major features compared to the IOS one
Realtor - There is no Trulia and this doesn;t work at all..
Zillow - Same as Realtor
Spotify - I've read is not that crappy, but I don't use it so I'm not sure (Please try and see)
Youtube - Metrotube(After all the pain Microsoft took... seems like even they are tired of this)
Bible - No idea here (This is one of the very popular apps.. lacks offline reading and other features available else where)
Tumblr - Baconit( i thought Baconit is more of reddit.. is it a third party client for Tumblr)
Yelp -Just see the reviews
Groupon - See the reviews
Dial91 -Not popular.. but official app and is crap compared to the IOS one..

Abhinand Jinugu

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
i believe WP is growing only because of Nokia's efforts and Microsoft's clout which is quickly fading... there is nothing new the OS offers compared to Android and IOS..
At first I liked the design philosophy of the OS , but now it is becoming huge constraint for developers to innovate. Isn't that a big reason why it took so much time for the FB app to be re-designed?

Technoloay

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
May I add to the list the following?
Twitter - They don't use the 'modern' way of tile notifications number.
Viber - Similar to twitter; in addition to the fact that to answer a call you'll need to wait for viber app to open :/
Whatsapp - Missing features; sometimes missing notifications..

On the other hand, the apps situation greatly improved since February (when I bought the Lumia 620).

jlzimmerman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
i believe WP is growing only because of Nokia's efforts and Microsoft's clout which is quickly fading... there is nothing new the OS offers compared to Android and IOS..
At first I liked the design philosophy of the OS , but now it is becoming huge constraint for developers to innovate. Isn't that a big reason why it took so much time for the FB app to be re-designed?
How is it becoming a huge constraint for developers? Your comment seems very subjective. I'd like to know you have come to this conclusion.

And take the time line of WP and the apps compared to iPhone or Android for their first year or two on the scene. WP has done very well. Neither iPhone or Android had billions of killer apps right out of the box. It took time. And with that said, iPhone, and to some degree Android, had a wide open space to grow and be new and fresh. With WP trying to break into the scene, the smartphones and apps market have already been widely saturated so it's even harder for WP to make the same strides.

More WP need to get into hands before they get major support by some developers/apps. Are you going to care more about your app working properly on a platform with 40% or 60% marketshare, or 4%? It has nothing to do with the OS being a huge constraint.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Twitter has actually improved significantly since it was first launched here.

I'm just happy that we have official apps. It shows that they're giving us a chance.

However, they do have to justify associated costs of development with the money people. And with the low market share of WP, the budget allocated for these apps was likely very small.

More budget will be allocated when a real convincing business case can be made to the higher-ups of each company.

Abhinand Jinugu

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
How is it becoming a huge constraint for developers? Your comment seems very subjective. I'd like to know you have come to this conclusion.

And take the time line of WP and the apps compared to iPhone or Android for their first year or two on the scene. WP has done very well. Neither iPhone or Android had billions of killer apps right out of the box. It took time. And with that said, iPhone, and to some degree Android, had a wide open space to grow and be new and fresh. With WP trying to break into the scene, the smartphones and apps market have already been widely saturated so it's even harder for WP to make the same strides.

More WP need to get into hands before they get major support by some developers/apps. Are you going to care more about your app working properly on a platform with 40% or 60% marketshare, or 4%? It has nothing to do with the OS being a huge constraint.

Don't you think its the "Modern" style of implementation that has restricted Microsoft to bring the timeline feature to the FB app?? do you really think Windows Phone FB will ever get chat heads?
I still appreciate how the new FourSquare app is built, cleverly complimenting the 'Modern' style... but the problem is it just doesn't work... there are so many bugs in it..

Comparing the timeline of WP app growth with that of Android or IOS is no good reason to add new customers.. all they care is if they have their fav apps and if they actually work..
Granted the whole app situation is an egg & chicken thing, but what is MS doing? at least they need to make the OS look better spec wise.
By the time GDR3 brings 1080p and quadcore support it will be a year and half Android devices have had it.
Can you take a pic at the same time while recording a video?? things like this make WP look primitive..

jlzimmerman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Don't you think its the "Modern" style of implementation that has restricted Microsoft to bring the timeline feature to the FB app??
Nope.

do you really think Windows Phone FB will ever get chat heads?
Eventually, yes. With that said, I see no problem with my FB app. *shrug*

I still appreciate how the new FourSquare app is built, cleverly complimenting the 'Modern' style... but the problem is it just doesn't work... there are so many bugs in it..
The problem, IMO, is that MS has their hands in too many things, and this is why updates and break/fixes are taking a while to trickle down to apps. They're spread too thin and doing too many things at once. Now I only say this with FourSquare because MS now owns them. With some other apps, MS has no control on how fast or slow apps get their fixes. And again to a previous post of mine are you going to care about your app that 40% of folks use, or 4%?

Comparing the timeline of WP app growth with that of Android or IOS is no good reason to add new customers.. all they care is if they have their fav apps and if they actually work..
See comment above. But you aren't incorrect. Users do want their apps and they want it now. This is where Apple and Google had an advantage. At the beginning, nobody knew they were missing anything. Apps were new. They were happy when they got it. Now with 900K apps out there and years to tweak, there?s something for everything and users are spoiled. They want it and they want it now. MS has this against them. Blackberry has the same problem, although they ignored the app thing for way too long.

Granted the whole app situation is an egg & chicken thing, but what is MS doing? at least they need to make the OS look better spec wise.
I think MS is doing A LOT. If you look at their complete portfolio of products and services, it's mind blowing. WP is only one sliver of MS pie. Given everything as a whole, they've done quite well. And as far as specs, I do agree they need to keep up but the ONLY reason they need better specs is for marketing. The WP NT kernel does equal other platform's performance on lesser specs. This gives MS and partners the advantage in releasing much more inexpensive phones because they do have the luxury in staying on par (performance wise) using "outdated" specs.

By the time GDR3 brings 1080p and quadcore support it will be a year and half Android devices have had it.
The 1520 comes out in about 6 weeks and has these specs.

Can you take a pic at the same time while recording a video?? things like this make WP look primitive..
I have an 8X so I'm not positive, I believe Nokia has photo software that does this very thing. It's basically the WP version of Microsoft Movie Maker.

Michael Jordan5

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
I am a developer and I have a few things to point out. Windows is still fairly new in the app game. I have been debating for a while to develop or convert some of my work for the windows app store. Only problem is, there is very little support or tools provided by Microsoft for native app development. Most developers like myself would rather develop a full program for the windows os then bother developing a mobile app. When thinking apps and profit, I think android and iOS, not windows... It's not worth the time or effort especially when the app store itself has a terrible interface. Finally 8.1 added a search bar which makes things more interesting, up until now a user couldn't even type in a keyword to find a specific app. Microsoft has a long way to go, they are way behind. Coming from a developers standpoint, I'm not sure windows will catch up unless they do a major overhaul. Do not expect the independent developers to come up with polished work like you will find on android and iOS. Android in my opinion has it down to a science for developers, the amount of tools and support Google provides is incredible. And with fragmentation issues quickly becoming a thing of the past, my advice to anyone would be, get you're hands on an android device, you wont be disapointed, as a developer i can say out of all 3 choices, Android gives me the best tools to create apps and alot of developers are seeing the capabilities. Apple doesn't have as much tools but the iOS is pretty straight forward which allows for polished work and leaves little room for mistakes, either your code and interface design is flawless or apple will reject the app. I basically convert all my work for iOS because of its popularity. Only downside to iOS is its limitations and strict quidelines, kind of takes the creativity and innovative edge away, Steve Jobs did not intend for what is happening with apple, its a damn shame...when Google is more like what apple used to stand for...so for myself as well as a lot of other developers we keep rolling out apps to iOS because, a lot of the times first, whether we like apples rules or not, its big money, then we have Google's android which is doing incredible things and making it fun to be a developer/programmer/designer again! And then you have Microsoft Windows which seems to be struggling to find an identity, I've always loved an HP running windows and I've always had one...but even I have to say, on my new laptop running Windows 8.1... I stick to the desktop side, and I only use it to develop and run eclipse, Photoshop and other full programs, the windows laptop I have is my big project tool, but I have to say, the apps are horrific, they lack their own flare as well! IOS apps have an iOS feel and look, android apps as well, but windows apps just don't seem to have much going for them, and like I said before, I have windows for big powerful full fledged programs, because that's what I associate windows with, and that's what microsoft is good for, their mobile devices and app store is a joke right now. Microsoft has another big problem as well, developers like myself have known all along how powerful and open android is, in the beginning android had a lot of problems to sort out and Google has done an exceptional Job at it, and the consumers are noticing and Android is now the most used mobile platform in the world, and android has one thing up it's sleeve that a lot of people are unaware of... Android is a full fledged OS that can run a full program, not just apps. If you watch any of the microsoft commercials they only compare to apple devices which can't function as a full on OS with all the ports! But Android can! And Developers are developing the sh*t out of android right now because of that. Basically, the only thing Microsoft had going for them is gone, they waited too long, Microsoft should have jumped in while android was the fragmented child that was still lost in itself. Microsoft can run that annoying commercial millions of times, its not going to change that Apple owns the one side of the spectrum and Android owns the other side...the side Microsoft was supposed to take years ago but didn't and now its too late! Google has a strangle hold on it. If you want a straightforward simple yet effective polished device, with apps that can do some powerful things you have iPhone and iPad. If you want a full fledged computer in the palm of your hands that does anything and everything with all the ports, and physical keyboard if you so desire, you have several options running android, I prefer pure Google products like my nexus 7 2013 because I am a developer. Here's why microsoft is in trouble, there is no room for them, the spots are taken... And Google made it a point for Android devices to be a universal plug to all things tech, even with Microsoft's windows itself. Google is even popping up on iOS and Google apps are preferred by most iOS users. So to anyone reading this, my advice, full fledged laptops or pcs are the only reason to go with windows 8 or 8.1... For mobile, depending what your looking for, Android Or Apples iOS. If you are looking for fully operational gotta be able to do everything sync everything plug into everything create anything do anything and are a tech geek like me or just crave very powerful no limit devices...go with Android, especially the nexus line or google play edition devices, any android device is good, but only pure android is great! If its not pure android then you will find some minor limitations. If your not looking for all that, and just want a well rounded device that has a lot of goof polished apps then iPhone and iPad are good, iOS doesn't cover all the bases but apple does an outstanding job on what it does cover. Don't buy a windows tablet or phone, you will be disappointed, and those who do say windows tablets or phones are great, probably never used an iPhone or android device, they don't have anything to compare like I did, like how I immediately noticed the same apps were far superior on my android phone and tablet and I noticed certain features were missing as well on my windows version of the app.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss