I bet no one solve this!!

Darren Walsh

May 9, 2013
Visit site
I upgraded my PC from win 7 to win 8 and my hp dv6 finger print scanner will only work for log on when on a local account, not a Microsoft account!!

judah modeste

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
Go directly to the finger print scanner site and see if they have any windows 8 drivers or search through other for others with the same problem.

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Exactly.. love the mindless windows 8 hate.. lol

"ohnoes it haz a different lookz then what im use too, its a horrible os!"
It looks beautiful.
They added so much functionality!
It's so smooth now!
It solves the problems of being touch-optimized AND mouse-oriented at the same time!
And, Task Manager. Hnnggh. It's awesome now.

Let's call this a downgrade!

ag1986

Banned
Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
but I works fine when I'm signed into a local account on win 8 it just won't work when signed into a Microsoft one, will the driver fix that??

Right, so here's your problem:

Local accounts: The password is stored, encrypted, on your hard drive. When you use the fingerprint sensor, you are actually decrypting the local password using your fingerprint's pattern and then passing that to the login agents.

Live: The password is cached locally and encrypted with a DIFFERENT mechanism, different from that for a local password. The fingerprint scanner's not capable of hooking into this encryption system and thereby causing your issue.

As it works fine with a local account the hardware is talking to the OS, I think it's unlikely (yet possible) that a driver update will fix.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I upgraded my PC from win 7 to win 8 and my hp dv6 finger print scanner will only work for log on when on a local account, not a Microsoft account!!

When you're on the login screen, you should have the option for "other credentials". As ag1986 mentioned, the MS login is different than your local account. I had a similar issue with a Lenovo X61 and I uninstalled the Biometric prog. Then I re-installed through Update from Control Panel. After all that, I had the options to use the finger swipe, MS Live p/w or type my local p/w. Don't know if you're looking for a simpler solution.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
The print reader on my DV6T-SE works fine. Not sure if what I did was different than what you did... I'm running 8.1 (was running 8 for almost the past two years), and when I set up the new install, I created local account, and after I logged in, I connected it to my MS account. Upgrading to 8.1 I had to reinstall the driver from HPs site. Same driver, and even though 8.1 had to uninstall it during the upgrade, it did reinstall and works fine.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb