Why are Metro apps in Windows 8/RT so Slow? Take Forever to Open

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site
I have both a Surface RT and two Windows 8 Pro PCs (an all-in-one, new), and a laptop (upgraded from Windows 7). I had the Surface RT first and while I love it, I was always a tad frustrated with how long it took to open up Metro apps. Click on the Games tile, or Twitter, or Skype, or Halo and it would take anywhere from 10-30 seconds to fully load up. I thought this was just a problem with the Surface RT's ARM processor. But after playing around with the Windows 8 Pro PCs, I must say that I'm equally disappointed. Many of those apps take 8-16 seconds to fully load up. If I open up the official Twitter Metro app, it usually takes 10 seconds. If I open up twitter.com in IE in the desktop, it opens up in 1.5 seconds. It's not my Internet connection, a solid DSL connection which is more than adequate. It's got to be the programming of the OS itself, or the programming of the third-party software makers making these apps (Although, even then, Microsoft's native apps like Games and Skype are also slow, so, go figure). I basically spend 98% of my time now on my PCs in dual-monitor desktop mode because the Metro interface is so much slower. What's the deal?

CopaCC

May 26, 2013
Visit site
I noticed that too. I have a five year old P4 3.2 gHz. The Metro stuff takes a while to load, but the desktop stuff seems noticeably faster than Win 7.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Not slow on my Surface RT, my desktop, laptop or my wife's all in one for that matter. Not sure why it takes forever on your rig but I'd start with your DSL connect.

iampwd

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
Opening some/most apps on RT is very slow. Seems even worse after 8.1 update. On my desktop it's fast enough most of the time but that's on i7 with ssd.

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure if they are really slow on a desktop, or if the illusion of slowness is created by the entire screen being one color in a lot of cases. That said, first-gen RT devices really needed faster hardware and a more optimized OS.

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
I've noticed this issue not only on my RT, but on my Desktop. These apps are simple yet they take as long to open as Illustrator or VisualStudio on my desktop. Its really bad. I love Windows 8, but this is a serious issue that seems to plague the OS even after 8.1 update.

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site
Not slow on my Surface RT, my desktop, laptop or my wife's all in one for that matter. Not sure why it takes forever on your rig but I'd start with your DSL connect.

It's not my Internet connection. I get 15Mbps in a dedicated DSL line. That is more than enough to open Twitter or Skype. And, as I said, I have no problems in desktop mode, which is blazing fast.

I'm not sure if they are really slow on a desktop, or if the illusion of slowness is created by the entire screen being one color in a lot of cases. That said, first-gen RT devices really needed faster hardware and a more optimized OS.

It's not an illusion: these apps take a long time to open. I time it from the second I click on them till the second they become functional (i.e., everything is loaded up and I can move around and do things). Metro apps are much slower than their equivalent desktop apps. I was accepting of it on RT because it's on an ARM, but this should not be the case for Windows 8 proper.

If opening up the Music app in Metro takes 16 seconds (on average) and opening up Windows Media Player in Desktop takes 7 seconds (on average) that sure isn't making me want to use the former.

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
I was skeptical but it was orders of magnitude better. Everything just pops open instantly. I use Chrome for my browser so hopefully this setting will have no other impact.

Ya, I'm amazed at the difference. My desktop machine launches them much faster, like probably a third the time or less. And some of the delay is my ****ty internet, but the app itself loads fast.

My Surface RT is about half the time now. Still a little slow IMO, but that's the slow hardware I think. It was taking 10-13 seconds to launch most apps, now its 3-5 seconds. Much better.

crash1989

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I am not too sure but I think software rendering consumes a bit more power and battery. So be aware of that, but it does help load times.

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
I am not too sure but I think software rendering consumes a bit more power and battery. So be aware of that, but it does help load times.

Ya, that's fine. The load times the other way made the apps practically unusable. There has to be a fix Microsoft could release. But I have 8.1 RTM on my desktop, so they certainly didn't fix it in that release.

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site
It worked! Wow, it is fast now.

From above article:

Well, I'm glad it seemed to work for everyone else here, but it didn't work for me. If anything, it exacerbated the problem. I also ran App Troubleshooter, but that didn't do anything either.

iampwd

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
How is IE performance on Surface RT after doing this? Not at home to try right now.

Edit: Tried it now and the weather app opened 5s faster with software rendering! But the tablet became slower in other operations so I changed it back and now it's fast again and you know what, apps still opens fast!!! Great find! Hopefully it will stay this way now. :)

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
priya8923