Rip CDs???

Daniel Gandolfo

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
Interesting idea. I would think that you would need some sort of software. It is nigh on impossible to install third party software onto the RT. So I think that your chances of doing this are very small but I might be wrong!

Nevica

azcruz

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
In 8.0 no, I tried it. 8.1 I haven't tried, thank you for reminding me.

Sent from my Windows Phone 8S by HTC using Tapatalk

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Does RT have USB host mode? If it does, any external cd/dvd player/burner should work. I have a $40 Polaroid DVD burner I picked up at CompUSA and it works on my Acer W3. I know it's an x86 machine but it did not load any drivers. It just shows as a generic USB drive.

CCoutret

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. Regarding the software, couldn't any ripping programs for Windows 8 (x86) be recompiled for RT? Seems like many programs are available for both so I assume it's pretty straight forward. Of course, I'm assuming that there actually are ripping programs for Windows 8 ......

_Emi_

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
honestly I dont think you would find an App for that scenario, I dont expect anyone to write an App to rip cds when its like... really few people who would get a usb cd reader for RT.
the problema its I dont see an app that would read a cd in WinRT... only explorer, so it would only read a cd with files, not an audio cd.

Now, dont listen to this Daniel Gandolfo... Im sorry to say it like this, but dont do it. you can actually run desktop apps in Surface RT, but you need a weird jailbreak that might work, might not work, might even give blue screen. etc etc. but it has worked for alot of people!
and there is alot of software that has been ported to Windows ARM. if you know about it, you could try to get an open source CD ripper program and port it yourself to ARM. or you can go XDA and see if they can do it... it might work or it might not.
in the list of ported apps, for example there is Coolplayer working on RT, it has a cd reader plugin but dont know if it will work on RT, since I guess it should be ported as well. but you can ask in xda.

it sounds possible to find a way to work that out. but you know, you would need a desktop app ported to ARM, because I dont see how a developer would waste time for a scenario like this when its almost impossible to find people trying to rip cds in a surface rt. (same reason why you havent seen rip cd programs ported to RT, but it might be also because someone hasnt requested it)

CCoutret

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
Emi, Thanks. Interesting suggestions. Not sure I'm up to it though. I see what you mean by lack of demand. Like most, I ripped my CD collection a long time ago. However I continue to purchase international CDs that are not licensed for download in the US. It's unfortunate that iTunes won't sell me music that they sell in Europe but I've got no more power over them than I do over Microsoft RT development. Guess I'll be keeping a laptop around for a while.

azcruz

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
<snip>Now, dont listen to this Daniel Gandolfo... Im sorry to say it like this, but dont do it. you can actually run desktop apps in Surface RT, but you need a weird jailbreak that might work, might not work, might even give blue screen. etc etc. but it has worked for alot of people!
and there is alot of software that has been ported to Windows ARM. if you know about it, you could try to get an open source CD ripper program and port it yourself to ARM. or you can go XDA and see if they can do it... it might work or it might not.
in the list of ported apps, for example there is Coolplayer working on RT, it has a cd reader plugin but dont know if it will work on RT, since I guess it should be ported as well. but you can ask in xda. <snip>
This is a route that the general users may not take.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarianKlux