Massive data usage...

Racing Snake

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Sorry guys, I don't know where this should go?! :(

But the phone (My wifes) is a Lumia 710, running 7.8 on EE UK (Orange).

2 months ago we had a phone bill come in at twice what it usually is.
Since we signed the contract in May 2012, every single bill has been between ?20 and ?21, no variation.
But August's bill came back at ?38 - it goes out direct debit, so was paid, but I phone to ask WTF was going on, and they said it was down to our data usage and that "our systems don't lie" :grincry:
This continued across the billing month and meant within 4 days we had used the new months allowance :(
Anyway, I hung up, phone again to speak to someone else who then refunded me that phone bill, moved me to a higher data tariff and applied a rolling monthly discount, so our total bill will come in at no more.

Anyway, It transpires that from the 28th August, we have been using data in 52MB chunks... one at 2am, 9am, 2pm and 9pm.... these vary by a few minutes each time and are pretty much bang on 52MB each time.

Anyway, I disabled all background tasks, uninstalled pretty much every app on the phone minus a couple of exceptions.
I've been monitoring the usage on the online account page, but it only updates once every 3 days or so, and this morning it has show we've used 260MB since sunday morning.

I've told my wife to switch off the data connection permanently (under network), but I'm now completely lost :( short of doing a complete factory restore (which will be my next move), I'm a bit stuck.
She has nothing on the phone that I don't also have on my L920 and I don't (seem to) suffer any such issues.

Any ideas what else I can do?! :crying:

crash1989

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
is the Nokia counters app still available on WP7.X , I used th use it sometime back to keep track of my data. It is very similar to datasense in WP8 GDR2

Racing Snake

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I'll have a look for that later (she has her phone with her at work at the moment).
I have found a 137 page thread on the apple forums on what seems to be the very same thing on AT&T in the US (so different country, phone and OS :D ), so am just reading that to see what conclusion people are coming to! lol

Racing Snake

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
is the Nokia counters app still available on WP7.X
Ok, yes it is still available, so I've downloaded that, but it's been slated in the reviews for resetting each time the app is opened!! lol
I've uninstalled some other nokia standard stuff, maps, games etc... basically anything I could bin, I have done.
Struggling a bit here though, makes my wife want to ditch the phone :|

crash1989

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Try the counters app if it doesn't work, switch off data for a few days and check if your provider is at fault. If the data usage remains constant ditch the sucker .

wpoblation

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Do you use Yahoo Mail? I had that problem on original WP7 on a Samsung Focus. It was attributed to Yahoo using gobbles of data chunks (mine was around 9:00 pm) at the time.
My workaround then was to turn off data before 9:00 and turn it on again in the morning.
Now I have a bigger bucket of data in AT&T so I don't worry about it anymore.

Racing Snake

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Hotmail only on this phone :(
Honestly it's real bare-bones at the moment, there is nothing on there :unhappysweat:

We are going to go with the disabled data for now, and check back in a few days time to see whats happened.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss