Calendars help!

D0gsballs

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Hi all,

I think we all agree the stock calendar app is a bit "limited". It does the job managing appointments, and viewing the details of a single appointment ain't too shabby either. But showing the Latin text instead of actual appointments on that day is poor and the live tile needs an upgrade as well, and actual navigation is pretty terrible if we're honest. A bit too metro perhaps.

So I'm looking into a replacement. I had a play around with a few yesterday but as of yet I haven't found one that covers all the bases - and I doubt I will so I'm going to have to compromise somewhere. But first I thought I'd ask the community for their help.

So currently I have my Live calendar and Room calendar on the stock app. Also on there is the Birthdays calendar from Live and a Facebook calendar. I also have an exchange calendar for work.

Ideally I need a calendar app that let's me see all calendars. I have a feeling there isn't one that let's me see the birthday calendar which isn't major as long as the reminders keep coming through and I can hide the birthdays calendar. I'd like to be able to view To-Do's for that day as well and ideally add them, but that's not a major thing being able to add them as it's not something that I use that often, but viewing is. A decent live tile that shows more than 1 appointment wouldn't go a miss either. I want to be able to see as much detail as possible in the month view as well.

I'm not fussed if it loads the stock app to add appointments because that does the job.

So can anyone suggest an app that covers most, if not all (unlikely I know) areas?

Cheers.

mpt15

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
I like Iconical Plus. It allows you to cycle through 10 appointments/birthdays or flip the tile showing 10 appointments in all. I've made separate tiles for birthdays and other reminders. It can't display the to-do list from the stock calendar.
You can filter the details on the tiles choosing to display an appointment if it contains X and/or does not contain Y.

pmhgeneral

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
Week view 8 calendar is a great replacement for the original. I have tried all of them and by far week view 8 does it. It does all you mentioned except, the to do list but I'm sure that too will be coming soon. Check it out and if you have any questions the developer is quick to answer.

D0gsballs

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Looked at both Chronos Calendar and Simple Calendar.

Wasn't too sure about Chronos too be honest. I couldn't figure out how to hide the private appointments which I assume are birthdays (incidentally is there anyway to import them into contacts rather than using the birthdays calendar on Live?) and it just seems to be needlessly complicated. The filter options especially - I'm never sure what has actually happened when I clicked on one of the options.

Simple calendar has been the closest thing to what I need so far I think.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Looked at both Chronos Calendar and Simple Calendar.

Wasn't too sure about Chronos too be honest. I couldn't figure out how to hide the private appointments which I assume are birthdays (incidentally is there anyway to import them into contacts rather than using the birthdays calendar on Live?) and it just seems to be needlessly complicated. The filter options especially - I'm never sure what has actually happened when I clicked on one of the options.

Simple calendar has been the closest thing to what I need so far I think.

I used Chronos a while back but haven't had the need for a powerful calendar so I got rid of it. I do agree it's a bit over the top. I'm waiting to see if WP8.1 will have a better calendar and then decide if I need to get a better one.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720