Apps taking up much more storage than advertised?

JustinianIV

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
So I just installed Where's My Water 2 (...it's for my kid) on my 820. In Marketplace it says it is only 78 mb , but storage checker says it's taking up 761mb! I...I mean my kid only played it for 2 minutes.

I only realized something was wrong when my phone told me that I didn't have enough space to download emails.

What gives?! I'm getting sick of having such storage problems on an 8g phone with a 16g sd card.

JustinianIV

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for your reply.

That is so stupid. Why don't they tell you how big the installation will be? Also, I can understand the file being a dozen or so MB more, but this is almost 10X more after install!

Xpider_MX

Aug 4, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for your reply.

That is so stupid. Why don't they tell you how big the installation will be? Also, I can understand the file being a dozen or so MB more, but this is almost 10X more after install!

Yes, the app/game can use extra data files, I don't know why Where's my Water 2 is using files so big. You can try to uninstall the game and reinstall it.

EDIT: It is a very common practice in Android games too.

EDIT: The Sims Freeplay is 427MB on the store and it is 934 on the phone. It is normal.

Oris

Apr 13, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for your reply.

Have you downloaded zip/rar files? It's always smaller than the actual files. Btw, smaller download size is good for those who have limited data plan.

JustinianIV

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
This explains a lot. Especially why I couldn't download any new apps when I thought I had enough space.

I can understand compressing the download file, but why not simply say both the download size and the install size?

I wouldn't mind so much if WP8 would allow us to save more file types onto SD.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12