920 v 925? Which one to upgrade to..?

Chris Sandiford

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
I've got an 820 and am due an upgrade in December.

My choices are down to the 920 or the 925 (unless something like the 929/1520 is out in the UK roundabout Christmas, that may change my mind)

People talk about the 925 just being a slicker and prettier 920 and not worth the upgrade if you have one. But I don't.
I like the idea of wireless charging (but haven't used it on my 820), but are the differences between the two worth the sacrifice of wireless?
The 925 has AMOLED which looks nicer too.

Fans of both, please give your opinions!

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
I've never owned either but have played with both, but if I were in your situation id go with the 925. The nay thing the 920 has over the 925 is built in Qi (and maybe storage depending on where you get the 925), but the 925has plenty of upgrades over the 920! (camera, screen, size, etc)

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
The 925's internals - including screen size - are identical to the 920. The only things that have changed is the case construction, some variations on internal storage and that the camera has an extra lens element, making daylight pictures sharper.

If you don't mind having a marginally heavier phone, but like colour and wireless charging get the 920. Otherwise get the 925 and take care of it - metal isn't as forgiving as polycarbonate!

mjrtoo

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
The 925's internals - including screen size - are identical to the 920. The only things that have changed is the case construction, some variations on internal storage and that the camera has an extra lens element, making daylight pictures sharper.

If you don't mind having a marginally heavier phone, but like colour and wireless charging get the 920. Otherwise get the 925 and take care of it - metal isn't as forgiving as polycarbonate!

It's the same, except for everything...rofl. Nice post...

Mio_WP

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
I would go for 925.

I Would miss wireless charging and the extra storage from 920, but I would still go for the 925.

Sent from my Lumia 920 using Tapatalk

SamiSaifDine

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site
I Suggest the 925 here's Why :
Nokia Lumia 925 vs Lumia 920

( The 920 has some battery issues and it freezes sometimes within times and these problems were fixed with an update but not for all devices .. some users were still unhappy after the update / / / + the Amoled Screen in 925 + The 920 was released in October 2012 so it supposed to accept updates like amber and WP8.1 untill October 2015 .. After that time it'll not accept any update .. In that 925 is better ) + there was a video Showed a test of " Charging the L925 with "light" you might be lucky in the future if they succeed in their Research )
Harnessing the power of lightning to charge a Nokia Lumia 925 ? Nokia Conversations : the official Nokia blog
Actually after saying all this , i am also willing to buy a new phone but i'll go for the L920 because in our Country : AbuDhabi we have a problem with the availability of the lumia devices they are very rare and "if found " very expensive if compared with the us price .. but i am sure we (me and you ) will be happy because both devices are AWESOME !! :D

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Yeah totally forgot about the display technology - the 920 is IPS and the 925 is AMOLED. AMOLED displays will give you blacker blacks and tends to be generally more saturated colours but extend the battery life because each individual pixel is turned on and off. The IPS displays are LCD based, so the entire display is either on or off as a whole, so the battery life suffers a little as a result, but IPS displays tend to show more natural, less saturated colours and have a wider viewing angle. The physical display size and battery size is the same, though.

multo

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Having both I stayed with the 925. I find the screen more appealing, love the weight even if I have on a wireless charging shell, love the rounded corners better too. Battery life isn't something I put too much attention to as both got me thru the day. Storage isn't an issue despite being smaller as well.

Sent from my Lumia 925 using Tapatalk

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
If you prefer a lighter, slimmer body that includes metal and an AMOLED screen and have no problem with only 16GB of storage, go for the 925. If you prefer 32GB of storage, a great polycarbonate body that is available in a variety of color choices and the IPS LCD screen and have no issue with its weight (though, c'mon, it's NOT 'heavy'), go for the 920. It also all comes down to personal preference.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Yeah totally forgot about the display technology - the 920 is IPS and the 925 is AMOLED. AMOLED displays will give you blacker blacks and tends to be generally more saturated colours but extend the battery life because each individual pixel is turned on and off. The IPS displays are LCD based, so the entire display is either on or off as a whole, so the battery life suffers a little as a result, but IPS displays tend to show more natural, less saturated colours and have a wider viewing angle. The physical display size and battery size is the same, though.
And with the Amber update, you have control over the color profile, so you can make it more or less saturated, should you so desire. ;)

Chris Sandiford

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
Wow thanks for all your feedback.
Weight isn't an issue for me, if anything I prefer the chunk of a decent weight. I had an N900 and that was a smartbrick..

I just wonder if investing in the 920 is a retro step, tied in for 24 month contract to an "older" model.
I like the deep blacks of the AMOLOED screen and with Glance/notifications on Glance to come that might make a difference to power consumption.
Not overly bothered on storage - it is what it is, you can always dump stuff off regularly.

I think I'm leaning 925.. unless something phabulous happens in the next month...

Cheers fellas.

sdc1

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
Hold a 925 and your mind will be made up, they're fantastic phones. I prefer my 925 to my 1020, I miss the thinness, light weight and just the general feel of it. It's the nicest phone on the market at the minute I think.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
My son reviews phones and he says the 925 is like an enhanced 920. I'd go with his recommendation. Get the 925.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
I've used 920 since launch until the last month. I've got 925 now and I don't regret it.

What you will miss if you get 925?

• Inbuilt wireless charging (need a separate shell on 925)
  • Stand out colours (black, grey and white only on 925)
  • Well placed speaker at the bottom such that you put phone screen up or screen down, music is unaffected (they are on back in 925)
  • SIM card tray sturdiness (SIM card tray in 925 sucks and is SO fiddly!)
  • 32 GB vs 16 GB (THIS is BIG! - most 925 unless carrier exclusive are 16 GB only!)
  • White background (Since 925 is AMOLED you will hamper battery if you use white)

What you gain with 925?

• Lighter
  • Thinner
  • AMOLED display
  • Choice of wireless charging or not
  • Already updated to Amber (AT&T Lumia 920 joke to be inserted here)
  • Everything 920 has.
  • Superior battery (Talk time 9 hrs in 920 vs 17 hrs in 925)
~

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos