Windows Phone 8 wifi backup of photos requires SkyDrive?

evilrobot

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
My wife got a lumia 1020 and since the photos are so huge, I was hoping we could skip skydrive and backup to our PC directly over wi-fi once she was in range of our home wi-fi. I seem to remember this being a feature of WP7 (maybe through Zune?) - but looking through the settings on WP8 I can only seem to find a way to do wifi backup to SkyDrive. As far as I know, the backup to skydrive is not the full size photo from the 1020 (right?) - and even if it was, that would fill up our space WAY too quickly. Am I overlooking something or is that just the way it is with WP8? Thanks!

Cindy_H

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
There's an app called Camera Roll Sync that will sync full resolution images to Sky Drive. You could then use the Sky Drive PC app to move them to your PC and delete them from Sky Drive.

Probably even more cumbersome than syncing over USB, LOL. WiFi sync to PC would be a nice feature to have.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
My wife got a lumia 1020 and since the photos are so huge, I was hoping we could skip skydrive and backup to our PC directly over wi-fi once she was in range of our home wi-fi. I seem to remember this being a feature of WP7 (maybe through Zune?) - but looking through the settings on WP8 I can only seem to find a way to do wifi backup to SkyDrive. As far as I know, the backup to skydrive is not the full size photo from the 1020 (right?) - and even if it was, that would fill up our space WAY too quickly. Am I overlooking something or is that just the way it is with WP8? Thanks!

Wrong. In Settings | Applications | Photos + Camera, under Auto Upload, tap SkyDrive, and you can select what size image is uploaded. As for the space on SkyDrive, everyone gets 7GB, so I can't help you with that filling up too quickly, but there are options. You can use the SkyDrive desktop application on the PC, and sync SkyDrive to a folder on your PC. That folder on the PC will always match your SkyDrive contents (great backup scenario for data less than 7GB, or more if you have a paid subscription). When you approach that limit, you can move pics from the SkyDrive folder on the PC to a different folder on the PC, and that will remove them from SkyDrive as well, freeing up more "automatic backup" space.

evilrobot

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Wrong. In Settings | Applications | Photos + Camera, under Auto Upload, tap SkyDrive, and you can select what size image is uploaded. As for the space on SkyDrive, everyone gets 7GB, so I can't help you with that filling up too quickly, but there are options. You can use the SkyDrive desktop application on the PC, and sync SkyDrive to a folder on your PC. That folder on the PC will always match your SkyDrive contents (great backup scenario for data less than 7GB, or more if you have a paid subscription). When you approach that limit, you can move pics from the SkyDrive folder on the PC to a different folder on the PC, and that will remove them from SkyDrive as well, freeing up more "automatic backup" space.

Unless they changed something I think you are mistaken: How to backup your high resolution AT&T Nokia Lumia 1020 photos and get 50GB of free cloud storage | Windows Phone Central

"One design choice on the Nokia Lumia 1020 has a small handful of people a little flustered: you cannot share the full-resolution photos on Windows Phone using any of the built in social networks. No email, no NFC, no uploading to SkyDrive, etc. The reason for that is because each 38MP image is between 9 and 15 MB in size and that would chew through bandwidth."

We are grandfathered into the 25GB and purchased and additional 100GB and she has already filled that to the brim. I'm looking into getting away from skydrive so we can use as much space as we want. I don't mind effort on my part, but it needs to be super simple for the wife (ie, no copying of files to a different location when space fills up). I think with a combo of ownCloud 5 and the app I linked to above we should be able to accomplish this. I need to get home first before I can test whether or not that app will upload at full resolution or not though.

petersun21

Dec 4, 2011
Visit site
Thanks, but we use straight talk and I'm looking for a way to get them onto my local PC so that they can be backed up without having to use a cloud service.
I just signed up for my wife without providing any AT&T account information. I assume it is available for everyone. If you choose to upgrade, 50GB is free.

evilrobot

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Thanks! I may give that a look then.

I've abandoned the idea of setting up ownCloud for now, and I think we're just going to stick with skydrive for the automatic 5 megapixel backup from the device, and then occasionally move select 38 megapixel images over manually (no need to keep 20 photos of the same shot when they take up that much space) and store those on a local backup - she'll still have access to the smaller version of the images from skydrive on her phone that way, but can get to the higher quality version from home to touch up in photoshop.

EDIT: Just remembered that you can set skydrive up to access files from a PC remotely without the files actually being on skydrive, so she should still actually have access to the larger files from her surface even when we are away from home. Still a bummer that we can't automatically upload the 38 megapixel images directly to the PC when in range of our home wifi though.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bevitalglucopre