Task Manager or force close an app

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
If there truly was a majority that want these things, and it's that important to them, they would have left. But since WP is growing instead of shrinking, claims of "a majority of WP users want ..." sounds rather incredulous, when really, it seems that a very vocal minority want these things.

While I actually agree with you when it comes to the task management part, I don't agree with you here.

The same thing is found on iOS, and they also don't have to close apps just for anything to work properly (other than a freezing app), and the same problem is found here.

I've personally found that the method of closing apps on WP is the easiest on all platforms. In fact, it's occasionally too easy.
It's also known that tapping an app shortcut (be it tile or entry) will more or less relaunch the app.
And, you also have Fast App Tesume, which makes things way simpler from the multitasking standpoint.
However, this makes the multitasking pane quite...useless, if you're not really a heavy user.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
How the fast app resume works depends on how the dev configures it. Tapping the app's tile can either launch it as a new launch, with no "knowledge" that it had run before, or it can launch it running where it left off, depending on which way it was configured.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
But really, my prior statement is factual. If those "missing" features were that important to people, they'd have left, and a claim that the "majority" want them, is incredulous. Has anyone polled every WP user and learned that the "majority" wants these features?

marcomura

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Has anyone polled every WP user and learned that the "majority" wants these features?
I guess nobody did that to learn that the "majority" don't feel the need of these features, too.
And because MS should provide an OS for everyone, and not just for the "majority", they should implement everything is (reasonably wide) requested.

gab1972

Jul 5, 2013
Visit site
But really, my prior statement is factual. If those "missing" features were that important to people, they'd have left, and a claim that the "majority" want them, is incredulous. Has anyone polled every WP user and learned that the "majority" wants these features?

But just because you personally do not feel it's needed, doesn't mean it isn't needed. Have you polled every WP user and asked if they agree with you?

I respectfully disagree that it's "not needed". We have a 'in-most-cases' method of handling tasks that "work." But it's annoying when you go to say, IE and navigate through several links looking at web pages. When you're done you have two options. Continually hit the back button through all of the links you just went through; or hit the Windows key. Sure, you can hit the Windows key and then hit the back button when you want to go back to IE and read an article you just read. But lets say you go into another app that has multiple screens that you navigate through. Now you have the same option, continually hit the back button or hit the Windows key. What if I've amassed 4 or 5 different open windows? Hitting the back button will force you through every one of them. Maybe not always annoying...but it's annoying. A simple solution would be to allow you to hold the back button to show all the open windows (as you normally would) and then maybe swipe down to close it. Why is that so hard to accept? Is that idea really so hard to accept? Does it present problems? Is it cumbersome?

It's handy. It's a great idea. And it would solve a lot of people's complaining. And...possibly drive more people to WP. Some strike me as the type as wanting this to be some closed brotherhood. "If you don't like what we have and the way we do things, go elsewhere." That hinders development. It drives people away. I'd rather cater to some of the needs and bring more people to WP. More people to WP means more developers and more companies willing to develop for WP. Which equates to further development of the OS.

haree

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
hi
just my 2cents i was and still do have an android phone and a 10.1inch tab just got the 625 as i wanted to try out WM and even while using the android phone i read many times that it was not good to use a task manager to close apps as the OS would do it automatically and i never used one i assume its the same here on the WM os too any way i also felt the battery on the 625 is far better than that of the Camvas HD A116 i have this is just fyi

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
My suggestion would be to report the problem with these apps to the developer, and if that doesn't solve the problem, to Microsoft. Blocking the back button from backing out of an app violates the app certification requirements, and that is a requirement that has not changed since inception.

Technical certification requirements for Windows Phone
Requirement 5.2.4.2

It seems to me that a "frozen" app isn't necessarily blocking the back button from backing out of the app. It seems like it's using so much resource that it cannot go to the previous screen, which may need even more resources. I have a 520, and it happens quite a bit. I imagine on a higher end phone it's not as common.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I guess nobody did that to learn that the "majority" don't feel the need of these features, too.
And because MS should provide an OS for everyone, and not just for the "majority", they should implement everything is (reasonably wide) requested.
The point is that when you use words like "majority" which are blatantly false, you destroy your own credibility.

But just because you personally do not feel it's needed, doesn't mean it isn't needed. Have you polled every WP user and asked if they agree with you?
As above, the point is that when a person uses words like "majority" when it is so patently false, he destroys his own credibility.

I respectfully disagree that it's "not needed". We have a 'in-most-cases' method of handling tasks that "work." But it's annoying when you go to say, IE and navigate through several links looking at web pages. When you're done you have two options. Continually hit the back button through all of the links you just went through; or hit the Windows key.
Nope. You can also hit the tab button and close the tab. Two taps (assuming the button on the address bar is tabs - else three taps).

Sure, you can hit the Windows key and then hit the back button when you want to go back to IE and read an article you just read. But lets say you go into another app that has multiple screens that you navigate through. Now you have the same option, continually hit the back button or hit the Windows key. What if I've amassed 4 or 5 different open windows? Hitting the back button will force you through every one of them. Maybe not always annoying...but it's annoying. A simple solution would be to allow you to hold the back button to show all the open windows (as you normally would) and then maybe swipe down to close it. Why is that so hard to accept? Is that idea really so hard to accept? Does it present problems? Is it cumbersome?
In actuality, the simplest way to exit the app is to hit the start button. That's it. One tap. Is that idea really so hard to accept? Does it present problems? Is it cumbersome? See, your own argument works for the simplest way, which isn't a task manager. But it's a moot point - it's already a pretty solid rumor that the ability to close from the back stack is coming in WP 8.1.

Patience...

It's handy. It's a great idea.
And is still more work than hitting Start.

And it would solve a lot of people's complaining.
And so would educating them to the way the phone works, teaching them that they do not NEED to manage tasks because this isn't Android, and the phone does the work for you, so that you can get in, do what you need, and get out, without being hassled with the unnecessary.
http://forums.windowscentral.com/wi...naging-background-apps-why-you-dont-need.html

And...possibly drive more people to WP. Some strike me as the type as wanting this to be some closed brotherhood. "If you don't like what we have and the way we do things, go elsewhere." That hinders development. It drives people away. I'd rather cater to some of the needs and bring more people to WP. More people to WP means more developers and more companies willing to develop for WP. Which equates to further development of the OS.
But that's the thing. You say that it is a need, but it isn't. It is a desire. If it were a need, it would be there. Like it was in my old Windows Mobile phones, where I had to manage tasks like Android users do. But the OS does the work so that you don't have to. In Windows Phone, this would (will) be nothing more than a psychological Band-Aid.

Last edited:

nohra

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
I would like an X at top corner of the apps in the current-running view to close apps from there. (I believe this will be in WP8.1, is that correct?)

NOT a swipe up or swipe down! There's no need for that movement, just tap the X. There's no need to copy Apple or Android when there's a better way of doing things. This is one of those things.

Fileclose.PNG

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I would like an X at top corner of the apps in the current-running view to close apps from there. (I believe this will be in WP8.1, is that correct?)

NOT a swipe up or swipe down! There's no need for that movement, just tap the X. There's no need to copy Apple or Android when there's a better way of doing things. This is one of those things.

I would like to see some kind of app manager, but I don't believe that how it's done is important. Who cares whether it's a swipe or a red X? Interestingly enough, Apple just switched from the X (iOS 6 and earlier) to the swipe (iOS 7).

gab1972

Jul 5, 2013
Visit site
In actuality, the simplest way to exit the app is to hit the start button. That's it. One tap. Is that idea really so hard to accept? Does it present problems? Is it cumbersome? See, your own argument works for the simplest way, which isn't a task manager. But it's a moot point - it's already a pretty solid rumor that the ability to close from the back stack is coming in WP 8.1.

Um, no. It's not the simplest way. You hit the Windows button and it might take you back to your home screen, but it's still there. Try hitting the back button after you hit the Windows key and you're back to the app. So, no, it doesn't solve it. All it does is hide it from view until you need it again. So if you're in one app and hit the Windows key, you hide it. Go to another app and hit the Windows key, you hide that one. And so on and so forth. You could potentially have X number of apps open, hidden from view. And while this may not eat into your battery life. Anytime you hit the back, it's going to start from the last open app and start working backwards. So, yes, while you may be able to close tabs in IE, try opening multiple different levels of Facebook or One Note. They don't have "tabs" to close. You STILL have to back through everything in order to exit the app.

Furthermore, if I have 4 different apps hidden in the background, hit the back button from the home screen, it goes to the last known open app. Now, if I start backing through that to exit, it doesn't go back to the home screen. It goes to the next open app in line. Also, if you have x number of apps open/hidden and you're at the home screen, try tapping the app list to scroll through something, decide you don't want to open an app and hit your back button expecting to go back to the home screen. Nope. Guess where it takes you? The first known open/hidden app.

So yeah, it's cumbersome.

And "pretty solid rumor" doesn't mean "confirmation". There were plenty of "pretty solid rumors" before GDR2 came out that didn't come to fruition. Regardless, it's opinion. From both sides. Someone felt that it was "needed" and you didn't. But somehow your points were valid and everyone else's is "moot". I just hate when people are so biased.

gab1972

Jul 5, 2013
Visit site

View attachment 44995

Swipe up/down, tap X, say "Close", shake the device, call it a "B!tch", or spit on it. I don't care. Just give the option. A swipe movement was just a suggestion as there are already standard swipe movements built into the device. To me, a swipe movement would be better than trying to tap a small "x" in the upper corner. If I could swipe down or up anywhere on the app, to me, that's easier. But, to each his own.

marcomura

May 28, 2013
Visit site
The point is that when you use words like "majority" which are blatantly false, you destroy your own credibility.
I'm glad you said that, because when you say "it's not needed" (which is blatantly false) or worse "you don't need that" like you are a superior entity who can decide for others what they need and what they don't, you destroy your own credibility.

Manoj1551

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
I feel this feature is needed. As few told its not needed, yes i can partially agree.. Most of the time you may not need.. But there are certain occasions where you need it badly.. Like i told in my original post.. I was not able to close tab of the browser, nor close that app or kill.. but i had to use it urgently to check some imp info.. i was not able to use browser app until that app got automatically killed. I dont have this problem always since i use UC browser and the app is excellent.. But for others who have average browser app or any app for that matter, will come across what i went through, more often.. I would really recommend that GDR3 update includes this and notification central..

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
All it does is hide it from view until you need it again.
False. Unless it is an app that uses background location services or background media, it suspends the app, no longer using any CPU time whatsoever. Far different than its robotic counterpart.

As for going back to something other than the prior app, tap/hold. Not difficult at all.

So no, not cumbersome at all. Tap Start and the app is no longer using power. Just a matter of using the phone as designed, instead of trying to use it as another phone was designed to use you.

gab1972

Jul 5, 2013
Visit site
False. Unless it is an app that uses background location services or background media, it suspends the app, no longer using any CPU time whatsoever. Far different than its robotic counterpart.

As for going back to something other than the prior app, tap/hold. Not difficult at all.

So no, not cumbersome at all. Tap Start and the app is no longer using power. Just a matter of using the phone as designed, instead of trying to use it as another phone was designed to use you.

You're completely circumventing my point by using more technical terms. No matter how you spin it, it's still there somewhere in memory until you're ready to use it. I didn't say it ate up CPU. You can't see it. But it's there waiting for you to tap the back button. That's so close to the word "hidden" that all you're doing us splitting hairs now. And your last comment proved my earlier point: that there are people who don't want certain functions because not having them sets us apart from iOS and Android. So you'd rather not have this function so that we can be different.

You're trying so hard to be different from the rest that you'd rather give up useful functions to do so. "Stop trying to make 'fetch' work, Gretchen."

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
You're trying so hard to be different from the rest that you'd rather give up useful functions to do so.
That's my whole point. It's not useful. Unless you're talking about satisfying a need that is purely psychological. And if that is what you want, quit whining about it because it is coming in 8.1.

kaustubhjj

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
I also want Task Manager on my Lumia 520.
I am also having android phone.
I think Windows monopolistic approach is the issue.
They want all the info from windows mobile users; but not helping them to kill/stop any unwanted apps they don't need at that time.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
I also want Task Manager on my Lumia 520.
I am also having android phone.
I think Windows monopolistic approach is the issue.
They want all the info from windows mobile users; but not helping them to kill/stop any unwanted apps they don't need at that time.
This has been implemented in Update 3 already

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb