POP Email account, how do I send via SMTP?

dailynail

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Hi, I'm just moving from iPhone to WP8, a Lumia 620. All is good and I like it. However I am having a nightmare I've never had before with email.

My Gmail account works fine. But my main email account is a POP3 account. On iPhone, MacBook etc I enter my normal account details to receive but because I won't be connected via my ISP who provides my POP account when I'm mobile, I add in the Gmail SMTP server details and it all works fine - I can send email from anywhere via 3G or Wifi. I'm trying to do the same on my Lumia and it doesn't matter what I try it does not work. It keeps saying my account needs attention, I tap and it says the SMTP wants my name and password again which never works.

Also, why is there no way to go back into the full email account settings? My only option is to delete the whole account each time which is driving me mad also.

Does anyone know how I can make this work? If I can't then I will have to return the phone :(

Any help much appreciated!

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
What email provider do you have? If you tell us, we might be able to find something online that gives the proper incoming and outgoing server settings.

dailynail

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Thanks Laura, after a lot more head scratching it turned out that 465 was the magic port number I needed, not 587' and I can receive my Pop email and replying works via the Gmail smtp server now. What wasted so much time was being unable to edit all the account settings, I had to keep deleting the account and entering all info again each time, one frustration that doesn't happen with iOS. Overall though I'm loving this new phone a lot. Thanks again.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Thanks Laura, after a lot more head scratching it turned out that 465 was the magic port number I needed, not 587' and I can receive my Pop email and replying works via the Gmail smtp server now. What wasted so much time was being unable to edit all the account settings, I had to keep deleting the account and entering all info again each time, one frustration that doesn't happen with iOS. Overall though I'm loving this new phone a lot. Thanks again.
I'm glad you got it sorted. :smile:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05