What do you use NFC for on WP?

tmpusr889

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
I was just wondering what people use NFC for on Windows Phone. There is a lot you can do on Android, but other than device pairing I haven't found any non-gimicky ways to use it on Windows Phone because NFC is so locked down by the OS. I would love to hear what others may be doing with NFC on WP.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
there's a bunch of cool uses in the Nokia NFC Writer app, I'd use it a lot, but I haven't bought any tags yet

tmpusr889

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
I was hoping for actual examples. I've read comments in other thread where people say, "Yeah it's great," or "I use it daily," but I haven't heard any real examples. I want to know exactly WHAT people are using it for.

Real_Robertson

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
I use it in my car for when putting it in the cradle to open "Here drive" but other than that I don't really use it, would love to see it being used to pay for items with contactless payments like the cards and Samsung galaxy

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, the whole, "Receive Content" thing is annoying and pointless. I get that it's meant for security, but honestly, NFC only works within inches of your phone, what threat could come that close and not have you notice?

At least make it optional.

IzaacJ

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site
I used it for the first time yesterday, just to pair my 920 with my fianc?es 920 thou. Feels a bit useless at the moment. And here in Sweden its really hard to come by NFC tags at a reasonable price since there's only a few devices with the capability. And people doesn't really understand what great usage it could be.

Corey

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
I bought a bunch of tags a while ago and wanted to try a bunch of different things. In the end, though, the way the NFC is locked down pretty much prevents NFC from being useful in any way beyond opening a program. It's unfortunate. I've read some really interesting ways to use it, and none of them are possible at the moment.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I turn it off, it does open a program if I wireless charge it on my Nokia charger. You don't need to turn it on to wirelessly charge.

It also drains your bsttery

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Tapatalk

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I have several NFC tags placed where I need them. The one in the car opens BT settings, so I can connect to the BT receiver that I put in the car to stream audio. My car has BT in the stereo for hands free, but not for streaming, so I added a Logitech BT receiver for that. Since the receiver I bought isn't designed for car, but for home, every time it loses power (turn car off) it loses it's "memory" at least partly. It doesn't automatically connect to the phone, like the car stereo hands free does. So I tap the NFC, tap yes, then tap the device in the list and it's connected.

On my laptop, I have one set to open the WiFi sharing. If I'm away from WiFi, I just tap and use the shortcut to turn on sharing. On my alarm clock at home, I have one to open sounds/notifications. Use it at night for turning off notifications, and in the morning to turn them back on.

I've done some tinkering with it, but this is what I use on a regular basis. Yes, it would be nice if they wouldn't require the "accept incoming whatever" message, but I do understand the thought process behind it being security. I think a good compromise between security and convenience would be to ask the first time and have a checkbox that says not to ask again for this particular tag. I'd think they could even do that with actually toggling the settings, instead of just opening the settings app. I like the idea of getting permission the first time, but would like that permission to carry forward.

ejb222

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
I've used NFC to share apps with my girlfriend for her new 920. Haven't used any tags yet. But so far sharing apps and pics between phones.

multo

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
For sharing pics or websites with the gf and sharing contacts with friends

Sent from my Lumia 925 using Tapatalk

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Curious, what can Android do that WP can't? This is a serious question, I really don't know.

Android allows NFC tags to unlock the phone (no password required), change settings (not just opening the relevant settings menu, but actually changing it), doesn't require the obnoxious confirmation text (I get it's done for security, but honestly, what security threat will come within 2 inches of your phone without you noticing?), etc. And on the point of changing settings, you can actually program the tags to have profiles, where it enables and disables multiple settings in one go. I.E: one on your nightstand can be programmed to play some relaxing music, turn off notifications, set your alarm, etc.

NFC has so much promise, it's a shame limitations in place by Microsoft keep it from achieving its full potential. I like the idea hopmedic proposed, where you can chose "Accept" on the dialogue box for a particular NFC tag a couple times, and, say on the third time, it gives you the option, "Don't ask me again," FOR THAT PARTICULAR tag. Maybe it could even let you ignore certain designated NFC tags altogether? That way, no more annoying confirmation box, while still giving you security. Microsoft should also enable all the same features that Android support (such as actually changing settings and have different profiles), except maybe for the NFC-to-unlock, that one makes me a little uneasy.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
...but honestly, what security threat will come within 2 inches of your phone without you noticing?)
Well, if you keep your phone in your back pocket....... And yes, I realize that it has to be turned on, and unlocked, but believe it or not, I do know someone that every time I see him put his phone on his holster (OtterBox), it is turned on. Like, really, how hard is it to turn off your phone before you put it away?? Seriously?? It's not just battery life - it could be security.

xconomicron

Sep 20, 2007
Visit site
There's not much use for NFC on Windows Phone atm. Android phones have slightly more capabilities with NFC. The problem with WP is that it has to ask for confirmation before data reads or writes. It defeats the purpose of using NFC if you have to confirm read/write initiation between tags/and device since it is supposed to be instantaneous. I feel that Microsoft is focusing more on security...even though it is very difficult to exploit vulnerabilities in NFC systems.

I just finished my graduate thesis over RFID and short range contactless systems... NFC.

However it looks like it'll be more prosperous later since more businesses are adopting contactless payment systems...and implementing tags with various usages.

Anyway...hopefully WP8.1 will improve NFC capabilities.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos